Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

621 to 640 of 2,297 messages
15/06/2013 at 23:15

Hi Green Fairy! I think I remember you from the 2012 Brighton marathon thread!

Tomorrow I'm starting my first long run for my training. It's only going to be an hours run, but I've only been doing 30 minute runs for a while now. I'm actually looking forward to the post run aches and hunger (I always go stupid hungry the day after a long run, my stomach sounds like it's trying to eat itself).

My first marathon I did a walk/run stratagy. I'd like to try to run it non stop this time. Anyone have any good tips to help with that? Or is it as simple as just running more?

16/06/2013 at 08:56

After having run my 10km on wednesday evening i felt a little muscle soreness and a slight strain in the inner thigh area on left leg so i rested but did some stretching for thursday and friday and went for a gentle 20 min run on treadmill yesterday i set speed to a gentle 5.5 mph and things felt ok ...ive got work until 3 today so i may go out for another gentle run outside when i get back....then back to the training stuff,will look to start doing a half marathon plan now ready for bristol in september although best enter it first!!! hopefully will do this coming week

Happy running to all

Green Fairy and Tillstar hope you get your mojos back very soon ......

16/06/2013 at 11:23

Morning all

Green fairy my mojo is on the chocolate rush at the moment if fact I’ve had to ban the chocolate from the house to stop it putting on all the weight it lost

Tillstar hope the running Mojo comes back as where’re really looking forward to meeting you next year although they do say a change is as good as a rest and when the hockey seasons ends you may be up for the running more

Yvonne hope the legs are ok and it nothing serious

Edited: 16/06/2013 at 11:24
16/06/2013 at 15:47

Thanks toby, i dont think its serious just ran as fast as my little legs and lungs would allow on the 10km so at least i know i tried 100%....will go for a little recovery bimble again after ive drank my tea ,well ill give it an hour to unwind after work first...

16/06/2013 at 16:49

Does anyone know of any autumn half marathons in the south east (Kent, sussex, south London) that are reasonably flat and have a field of at least 1000 ? I am thinking of Tonbridge in September, but would like to know what other options are about

16/06/2013 at 20:00

skippys right leg if your not worried about a pb what about the bacchus marathon in surrey its a 2 lap course but its not flat...oh and fancy dress is prefered and you get to taste wine and beer on the way round and a bbq at the finish...its sept 8th

16/06/2013 at 21:12

I just looked up that race, yvonne 2, if I'm ready to run a half by September then I think I'd consider that one, and I don't even like wine!

16/06/2013 at 21:30

Faya i was going to do the bacchus marathon this year but there are other races i would like to do just after it and i cant risk not being recovered but its definately on my to do list for next year and i do drink wine but only 1 glass after that im giddy!! and i wont be drinking it going round thats for sure but it does look fun with fancy dress being encouraged......im still tempted to do the half this year but its a week before bristol half and im trying for a pb on that one as its fast and flat!!

17/06/2013 at 09:20

Hello all thought that I would pop by to see how everyone is getting on.

Yvonne huge well done on your recent 10k and your consistency with pacing - this is more important then a PB sometimes. 

Tillstar, your running mojo won't be very far away. Your body just needed the rest and recovery after your mammoth hockey game - and as you have already found out you can sill get out there and run at a good pace. Think of your hockey game as running a marathon you have a 3 week taper first as preparation for the big day, and should have a very gently 5 weeks afterwards to fully allow your body to recover and make the neceassary adaptions otherwise you risk injury. You will be back to your running regularly in no time 

Toby - well done on keeping up your mileage - you are indeed a running machine!

Faya hello 

Skippy have you thought about the Barnes Green HM - I was going to run this as it is local to me, however it is the week before I run the Chester Marathon. I will probably be running Henfield HM instead, although this is at the end of August?

Me, well I am now 3 weeks into my marathon training which is going well, and I have at last joined a running club - it has taken me ages to decide on which one. My local one was full of really fast runners and although they were friendly I just felt completely intimidated. I then tried another (on a couple of occassions) who weren't so friendly and inclusive, then another who were really friendly but lacked structure and finally the one I have now joined - fingers crossed it works well. In 3 weeks I have my next race - a 15 mile trial race, first race at this distance and I will be wearing a club vest so I hope that I don't fall flat on my face 

17/06/2013 at 10:14

Morning All

Nice to read that everyone is fine into marathon training! The tune at runers world UK is more friendlier than at the German version. I like this.

I did a 12 miler yeasterday at 9:00/mi. It is getting terribly hot here in Austria with around 36 Centigrade Celsius and I do not know wheather I can run the comming days.

Take care

17/06/2013 at 10:31

Hi Yvonne2, yes training for an ultra, on 2nd August 2013, it is a 100 miler and a time limit of 26 hours or you get disqualified, they also do a 40 and 70 miler.

Toby - you are still doing great Mr Speedy, yes some serious mileage at the moment, not doing an ultra next year going to try and get a sub 4hr marathon, got Brighton in April, will probably do MK in May and if they do it again Pitsford in March, also applied for London so may have 4 in 3 months.

Hi to everyone else

17/06/2013 at 11:59

Yvonne -  don't think wine on a run is a good idea for me - I wouldn't finish the course !

Lisa - That Barnse Green looks interesting and is a reasonable distance for me. Do you know if it is reasonably flat ? I will probably do Tonbridge but want to keep my options open until nearer the time when I can guage how my training is going, having ahd two previous disastrous attempts at the half due to poor preparation

17/06/2013 at 13:07

Thank you Lisa123 hopefully you are right.  Its starting to really annoy me that I cant run like I used to and I miss the buzz I used to get after a good run, sounds weird but I don't feel like me at the moment without the running.

I guess I was seeing the hockey as just another game when in reality we played more than a season so hopefully it wont be too long before my body is ready to run properly again

17/06/2013 at 13:59

Skippy Barnes Green is classed as undulating so not completely flat or hilly - probably quite similar to Tonbridge. Good idea to decide nearer the time depending on how the training is going.

17/06/2013 at 14:25

chicken out of the 10 miles i was thinking of doing today and  opted for 8 in the instead  got around in 1:11:27 avg pace was 8:40 but the best thing was all the splits were in the 8's so looking good for pacing Yvonne around Bristol in September

17/06/2013 at 20:00

Hi everyone

Not run since last Tuesday's 5k race. When to Brighton on Thursday and came home today as hubby did London 2 Brighton Bike Ride.

Going to do a 12 mile run tomorrow morning as am Beachy training.

17/06/2013 at 20:32

Tracey G have you done beachy head marathon before? Ive heard its hard and hilly but lots of fun and good camaraderie among runners ....Im a bit of a chicken with races and prefer mine flatish but wouldnt mind giving this one a go ....

Toby thought you said nothing faster that 8:58 would be good for a sub 2 hour half ?? You want me to get a proper sub 2 hour dont you ? not just a 1:59 job ha ha

I know i can do a sub 2 as brighton was 1:56 at the 13.1 mile mark until i had to run the extra that the cone was out of place by!!!! gggrrr

18/06/2013 at 04:34

Yvonne is PB worth getting it's worth getting well

18/06/2013 at 04:34

just 5 miles for me today then may well ring the changes Wednesday and do  a gym session

Edited: 18/06/2013 at 04:35
18/06/2013 at 06:02

Yvonne - Beachy No8 for me this year. It's a very friendly race. Yes it's very hilly, but if slow old me can do it anyone can.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.