Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

641 to 660 of 2,297 messages
18/06/2013 at 13:11

Hi yvonne 2

For a rather flat half I always try to run at least 5:30/km which should be around 8:45/mi and gives me 1:53 - 1:54 for the training session.

all the best

18/06/2013 at 20:04

Well I admit defeat! Have finally accepted that at over 3 weeks I have had too long off running and need to forget what I could do before and trying to carry on where I left off. Going to start again  as a new runner and build back up gradually Rather than trying for a long run failing and sulking for a few days I just going to aim for short runs at first and just keep increasing the distance each week. Personal training session was hard tonight and just hurt thinking of giving him up. 

18/06/2013 at 21:15

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your running Tillstar.  You could always try a run/walk method until you are back up to speed.  I think PTs enjoy making you hurt, as I always have an ache somewhere the day after a PT session.

Went out for a 4.5 mile run tonight with my new toy - a Garmin Forerunner 10 - it was nice to be able to keep tabs on distance and pace, though only managed 3 out of 4 miles at pace I was aiming for, though one of them was 10.48min mile pace which is good for me.  Very slow last mile though up hill as ended up walking.

18/06/2013 at 22:51

Franz  thank you for words of encouragement ......I know it's gonna hurt sticking to the pace needed for a good sub 2 half

but I'd rather my legs hurt from trying and achieving it than my ears and ego get hurt from toby giving me agro cos I gave up ....believe me I was on the end of an ego bashing and I felt very sorry for myself cos I knew everything I was told was correct I was the only one who let myself down and I had a defeatist attitude.....believe me those words sunk in ..... but sometimes you need to be told cos we can all say oh well perhaps I should of done this or that when really we don't admit maybe just maybe we could of squeezed out a little more juice ....

19/06/2013 at 04:34

Morning all

Well just 5 miles for me yesterday it was very overcast when i looked out but boy it was hotter out than it looked not the fastest I’ve coved that particular course getting around in 43:42 but the splits were ok with three in the 8:20 and 2 in the 8:50

Tillstar sounds like a good plan to build the mileage back up slowly

Yvonne sorry if i bashed your ego but it the same when i run with Poohbear i get i little frustrated for you as i know what your both capable of

Edited: 19/06/2013 at 04:34
19/06/2013 at 05:35

Thank you Toby and poohbear for good advice as always

19/06/2013 at 10:48

Toby dont apologise for my ego bashing it was well deserved that day and everything that was said was true i had it in my mind that jenny was getting her puppy anyway and i didnt try my best .......i was 43 seconds over the 2 hours if i had dug deep and kept up with your pacing i would have done it but i gave in!!!!!

19/06/2013 at 14:21

i was going to do a gym session today but have only just got up i haven't slept this long in ages but the problem now is i will be having to think about  going  back to work soon so the gym session won't get done today so i may just walk to work for a change or even dig my bike out

Edited: 19/06/2013 at 14:22
19/06/2013 at 22:26

Tillstar I'm in a similar position. I've had nearly 2 months off with my back issue. Now that I'm able to run again I'm really struggling. I'm only able to do between 2-4 miles before I just want to stop and go home. I'm just going to build up my mileage again slowly. My issue now is feeling frustrated at not being able to run at my normal pace for very long. Today wasn't good as I felt like I'd run a half but it was only 3 miles!! I blame the humidity! 

19/06/2013 at 22:31

Yvonne - you have to not listen to the voice in your read to slow down or even walk in your next half. 

19/06/2013 at 22:32

Read = head 

19/06/2013 at 22:41

Tracey I've never stopped and walked in any race I've done including the old marathons but I do get to a certain mileage in a half usually around 9 miles when I feel like I'm slowing down and I usually am and in a 10km it's mile 5!!!!! I need to either do lots more speed work or more long runs or just constant running and somehow overcome these energy blips oh and I don't think gels work I don't seem to get anything out of them unless I'm taking them at the wrong times or the wrong brands ....but I do tend to let that voice in my head win sometimes he is very naughty  and tells me I'm tired or I can't do this but I do keep going and try to ignore him ....

19/06/2013 at 22:42

Don't worry I knew what you meant 

20/06/2013 at 04:35

Yvonne the the voice in your head will have a name this time around he's going to be called toby3

20/06/2013 at 08:34

Toby that made me smile, Yvonne you are going to have to listen to that voice this time

Jellygirl Its nice to know I am not the only one in this position, I totally identify with how you feel Im exactly the same, my normal steady pace that I cant run any slower than is feeling more like a sprint.

Off to the gym tonight for a gentle 2 miles.  Feels ridiculos as I have never run less than 3 miles but I figured if I aim for 2 I have more chance of doing it and feeling like I was starting to achieve something again rather than trying for too many and failing.

Playing hockey again on Saturday so hopefully that wont put the running backwards again.  Its not a permanent return just helping out my friend who is short of players and then I can do a nice slow run on sunday.

20/06/2013 at 12:05

Yvonne - I have to give myself a talking to in some race lol. 

20/06/2013 at 12:07

Got running track session this evening with the club ????????????????

20/06/2013 at 12:33

Tillstar and Jellygirlone good thing about your mojo going now and having to build back up slowly at least you have plenty of time to do it before the training for Brighton starts in earnest in December or January better to lose it now with 9 months to go than lose it with only 2

20/06/2013 at 20:13

Thanks Toby that's a good point. I'm not quitting, I said I would run Brighton 2014 and I won't be stopped. My mojo has has a long enough holiday after the world record and now I am going to hunt it down!

well 2 miles done tonight. Id had enough after 2 mintues but kept going and it actually got easier. Probably could have done more but I didn't want to push it too hard im happy enough that I completed a training session but more than that I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next session, I am finally tracking down my mojo, normal service will be resumed soon

21/06/2013 at 14:06

no long run for me this weekend just to much to do around the house so will give it a miss this weekend and get back to it next week

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.