Brighton Marathon 2014

You can never start too early!

741 to 760 of 2,297 messages
09/07/2013 at 18:06

Have entered Bristol half marathon at last,thought as I'm training for it I best enter,mind you only had the spare money now .....

Have borrowed two fans from a friend and will attempt my threshold run later in the garage on the treadmill ,I did my 20 min run from Sunday yesterday .... 

Oh and have won prizes for being chosen as an ambassador for Linwood super foods I am officially fab and 40 (or over) 

10/07/2013 at 05:27

Well so much for keeping to short runs in the garage i had to get a new bit valve for my Camelbak that’s the bit you shove in your mouth i was only going to run to the shops and back only a couple of miles but the run felt so easy i ended up doing 13 instead

Did make the mistake of not putting sun cream on though so although i thought I’d got away with it just got home from work and i am nice and red and have nice outline of a running vest

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 05:29
10/07/2013 at 11:04

Threshold run yesterday in the garage was a hot affair ,even with the fans (to be honest they were not that great) but it was good of my friend to lend them to me, still it gets me use to running in the heat!!!

10 mins easy then 20 mins threshold (has been 15 the last 2 weeks ) 10 mins easy i increased the speed to and felt ok even going for a bit longer,im not sure whether its the affect of a non dairy diet but the lungs feel clearer and im also taking magnesium...whatever, its working, even if its in my head, it still feeling easier this year!! Legs feel a tad stiff this morning though ha ha ,must remember to have a good stretch later!!

Toby, its just like you to go for a short bimble and end up running a half marathon!!

I forgot to put sun screen on yesterday too and was sat in the pub garden for a bit i too have tan lines not big or clever....

10/07/2013 at 19:12

Ha Ha Toby only you could as Yvonne says go for a short bimble and end up running a half marathon

Well PT made me do lunges with dumbells yesterday and I now know what pain feels like.  Have been struggling to walk all day but the plan said 3 miles so I decided not to do my usual and give up but run outside as at least that way I could walk some if I needed after all it only says 3 miles it doesnt say how fast.

29.52 later I have my fastest 5K time in a long time and it felt strong the whole way through even ran up the two big hills I would normally have avoided - maybe my PT isnt so mean after all.  Buzzing with Runners High now

12/07/2013 at 04:25

Morning all

well i haven't run now for 2 days just been to tierd after a busy night at work but must get out today for some from of run

12/07/2013 at 07:09

Morning all

Managed a sweaty 4 miles yesterday in 36:54.

12/07/2013 at 11:30

Toby snap I've not run for 2 days either !!!! Too much to do and I'm working the whole weekend so I'm getting out later hopefully as I've got 10 miles to do its either do them later at 6 pm or get up early at 7am and run then tomorrow then go to work ...I'm swaying towards tonight ...

12/07/2013 at 19:08

Um I'm now swaying towards the morning!!! #it's too warm to run 10 miles .....I'm a cold weather runner !!!! but I love the sun and heat 

12/07/2013 at 19:45

well got out for my run boy it was hot so split the run down again into three 5 mile loops and a 6 stopping after every loop for 10 minutes to take on water and lucozade and to cool down even had an ice lolly after the 3rd time around

Hoping i haven’t to burnt as i plastered the sun tan lotion on before going out

13/07/2013 at 09:59

Think it was just as hot this morning as last night!!! Still 10 miles done and dusted at a 10 min mile pace  wasn't gonna push it any faster.....

Shower and then off to work today ...don't normally work a Saturday but boss is away and as she is a nice boss I don't mind helping out...

stay cool everyone 

13/07/2013 at 12:45

Got up and out of the door by 6.30am this morning to get my 10 mile run in before it got too hot.  Left Toby in bed and he had only just got up when I came back just over 2 and a quarter hours later.  Not brilliant split times, but it was just too hot to run too fast!

Not much shade out there on the run, but at least it is done and dusted and I can relax and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather.

13/07/2013 at 15:55

Well done poohbear i woke at 6.30 but had the dogs to walk first then managed to get out at 8....are you doing bristol half ??? What distances are you running at cricklade and swindon??

13/07/2013 at 17:27

Afternoon all! Well done poohbear and Yvonne. I also got up and out for a run at 630 this morning to beat the heat. I only had 6 miles to do today according to the plan so that's all I did but it was strong and just below target mp so I'm happy. Just got back from a sneaky gym session too as I was bored so went for some sneaky cycling and weights work. That's first week of my 38 week plan completed and I'm happy. Finally got my addiction back. It means I have a free day tomorrow as have done today and tomorrow's sessions today so may just go for a what I fancy run and not worry about distance or pace just run for the fun of it.

Also a special thanks to poohbear - i have a new mantra when I am running - when it gets tough I repeat to myself "have some poohbear spirit" it reminds me that you wouldn't quit so I dont let myself quit either.

14/07/2013 at 10:43

Forgot to add yesterday I have made a deal with a friend - If i can stick to the training  plan and also give up all cakes biscuits sweets chocolate crisps ice cream and junk until at least September he will take a charity place and run the marathon with me - that has helped the motivation somewhat. Plus if I beat him across the line I get a trip to the theatre and a meal or if he beats me I have to cook him a proper meal.  He has run Brighton several times so Im going to have to work hard if I want to win our little deal

Today should have been a cross training session but as i doubled up on sessions yesterday and did that yesterday I decided to sneak in an extra run as the weather was so nice.  Limited myself to 4.5 slow miles though as I dont want to do too much too soon.  Thoroughly enjoyed it just running as I felt only struggle was forcing myself to stop and not overdo it.

Happy running everyone

14/07/2013 at 16:52

Yvonne - yes I have already signed up for Bristol Half and will also do Swindon Half.  I got put off by Cricklade last year, so will not be running at Cricklade - just cheering you and Toby on.  Hopefully I will try Cricklade again next year once I am faster.

Tillstar - sounds like your training is back on track and you are enjoying running again.  Glad to be a help, but I am just a mere mortal and my not giving up is more a case of stubborness and bloodymindedness as I dont like anything getting the better of me.

14/07/2013 at 18:45

I was supposed to do a long run today, but instead I went up to London to cheer on the people doing the British 10K and support the charity that I did the marathon for last year. 

"but I am just a mere mortal and my not giving up is more a case of stubborness and bloodymindedness as I dont like anything getting the better of me."

I think that's the only reason I managed to get through my first marathon! I was not going to let the damn thing beat me, dag nabit.

14/07/2013 at 21:19

Well it's now 9:15 in the evening and I'm just off onto the dreadmill to do that little20 min run that's in the plan ...I missed it last week and it put me all behind on my runs and I didn't get the hill session in last week ..... not so sure it's that cooler though....

Good running tillstar 

15/07/2013 at 03:30

Morning all

Some great running going on I'm off to weight watchers and then afterward 10 miles if it real hot again i will split down into two 5 mile loops again

Will have to wear a t-shirt today as i got caught really badly on my shoulders Friday and they blistered so need to keep cover up until they heal

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 03:38
15/07/2013 at 08:38

Morning All, the last few days were hotter in England than in Austria! I hope that you don not have troubles with the heat. It nedds 2 or 3 weeks to get accustomed to it. Then your sweat will contain less salt than normal and running is easier. On a long run I sweat 2-3 liters, therefore drinking is essential. In summer i have a special training course where I can take in water regularly vom drinking wells along a public bicycle way.

I did my first 40mi week since March with a 15miler (9:32/mi) on Saturday. Today I have 9mi scheduled.

15/07/2013 at 23:00

By jove it's warm.  Where was all this heat when we needed it earlier in the year?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.