Bupa Great Birmingham Run 2013

Sunday 20th October 2013

21 to 40 of 165 messages
11/09/2013 at 14:13

Any ideas which roads are being used on the new bit of the course in Selly Park?

The details on the website are very unclear.

18/09/2013 at 07:58

I couldn't work out what roads we go on in Selly Park either when I did a reccy run of the half marathon route. The best I managed to achieve was a square in and out of Selly Park rather than their triangle on the course map.

I did 3x reps last night of the Charlotte Road hill. Definitely not as bad as I remember it even running at race pace, but I didn't have 10 miles in my legs before doing them. My advice would be to take it a little easier during mile 9 and using the downhill portion into the Leebank Middleway as a free recovery.

18/09/2013 at 11:12

This will be my first HM. Looking forward to it.

18/09/2013 at 11:30

Is there a gradient profile of the whole race anywhere showing the peaks and troughs?? I find it useful to know when there might be a flat few miles etc?

Saying that, as it is a city race (i have read about the hill at 10-11) is it generally a flat profile?

18/09/2013 at 13:36

Try this: http://www.mapmyrun.com/gb/birmingham-eng/bupa-great-birmingham-run-2011-route-36302618

It's from the 2011 race, but this year's course is largely unchanged.

Don't worry about the rise leading up to 5.3 miles; it's imperceptible since you're running on a long, straight road.

Personally, I'd say if you were to exclude the hill between miles 10 and 11 then it's a pretty much flat race. There are a couple of short inclines and dips here and there but nothing to worry about.

18/09/2013 at 15:42

Thanks for that, just what i was after.

I e-mailed the organisers about 1 week ago asking for start time but no response. Anyone run it last year who recalls the start time. I am sub 1.30 so would be in first section i would expect.

18/09/2013 at 16:18

You should be in the orange wave like me then, which starts at 10am. There will be two starts from the two different sides of the dual carriageway; facing forward, the right is the side the elites start from so my advice would be to get into that wave for a slightly faster start.

18/09/2013 at 21:15

I've done the course twice as the Birmingham half and the Great Birmingham run.  The first year the hill did catch me out - I struggled up it. The second year I was really surprised at how easy I found the hill.  I think I'd been building it up as this beast from the previous year. Attack it - it's not too long and once you're at the top the run down to the finish is all down hill.

Looking forward to a new pb this year.

Also, best place to park is the NIA car park.  Take plenty of change as the money only pay machines had no queues.

MG1
18/09/2013 at 21:55
I think the triangle hill in Selly Park goes up Kensington road and back down Selly Park road and back onto the Pershore road. The Hill is pretty tough but its nice downhill stetch on Selly Park rd. Total distance of the detour approx .6-8 m

Lucky to have alot of the course on my doorstep.

Shame they have taken out some of the old route as I always thought it was a good challenge and a real sting in the tail before the downhill finish.
Symes-lent night    pirate
19/09/2013 at 09:52

Shame/annoying they've been dumbing down the course ever since the first edition, might as well make it entirely flat and get everyone to do 500 laps of Centenary Square 

19/09/2013 at 18:41

That hill is 1 in 18 going by that route on MapMyRun.

Symes-lent night    pirate
20/09/2013 at 00:08

Oooooooh, toughie! 

20/09/2013 at 08:31

How long does it go on at that level? It looks like pretty much the whole mile. 

20/09/2013 at 20:44

DT19 it lasts for around 2000m

20/09/2013 at 20:44

5% gradient.

MG1
20/09/2013 at 20:46
The hill going up Kensington rd is I would say is about 0.4 m long, will measure the triangle on my sunday recovery run
21/09/2013 at 12:38

MG1, what the whole hill is just 0.4m long, or is there another part to it a little further on?

How long is the hill at mile 10, do you know?

MG1
22/09/2013 at 14:34
The hill going up kensignton road is .35 m with the down hill part on selly park road being .3 m. The uphill isn't too bad especially being early in the route .
22/09/2013 at 15:00

Agree with those figures, MG1. I went out and did the full route with the Selly Park triangle and found the incline on Kensington Road pretty easy (there's an energy drink station just before it, fill your boots!) and found the descent on Selly Park Road pretty easy to charge down.

The Charlotte Road hill later in Edgbaston really kicked my arse today. I wasn't prepared for how warm it was and ended up quite dehydrated by that stage.

25/09/2013 at 15:47

I did this race last year and that final hill is really tough. My advice is to take advantage of the downhill start and do a quick first mile.

A bit off-topic but what are everyone's fuelling strategies for half marathons? There are plenty of Powerade stations around the route but will taking advantage of these help much over this distance? I'm aiming for under 1:25 and on my training runs (up to 16 miles) I don't use any fluids or gels etc.

Good luck everyone! If this is your first Great Brum Run you will love it. Fantastic support, especially at the finish and apart from the sting in the tail it's almost completely flat.

21 to 40 of 165 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.