Bupa Great Manchester Run

21 to 31 of 31 messages
03/06/2013 at 11:50

This was my first ever 10k so I put myself at the back so I wasn't blocking any faster runners, assuming I enter next years event, I have a time now so will hopefully go in an earlier wave and not get stuck behind quite so many people who walked after just a few hundred yards.  The weather was a bit too hot, only one water station wasn't really good enough, especially at a £39 entry fee. Overall the atmosphere made up for these niggles and I would probably enter again because its good fun being part of something so big.

14/05/2014 at 14:48

hi, using my husbands account but hey ho! ive just had my race pack through for the great manchester bupa10k and have been allocated the white wave. With a pb of 54 mins, does this sound correct or would i be better off going in the next wave down. Maybe i could start at the back of the white wave and see how i go? thanks, Elaine

14/05/2014 at 14:59

Elaine - Firstly this is last years thread, however your question isnt really dependent on year so ill answer anyway.

My experience of Manchester (ran it twice) is that the waves mean very little.  Everyone seems to start off in a wave (or two) quicker than they should and the first 2 or 3k are very crowded whilst you overtake slower runners.

White wave from memory was 45-55 last year, i think orange was in front of it and blue behind but i could be wrong.  I was in white and ran 49:xx and there were loads of much slower runners in the white wave.  So i would say just start in white and race your own race, just dont expect a PB attempt as its so crowded its difficult.

14/05/2014 at 15:08

thanks for your advice. i'm not looking for any pbs as im running the half marathon in edinburgh the week after, eek! i just wanted to run this race as it's my home town and heard it has a great atmosphere. i don't get people wanting to go in the fast waves, i'm the complete opposite, much rather be overtaking people!

14/05/2014 at 15:14

Your doing it the best way then, its a good day out and a great atmosphere.  Just casually wander into the pen about 15 mins before the start (people get in the pens an hour or more before the start to get a good spot which you don't need too) and you dont really need to care where you start.

I would probably be doing it again this year but im off to Chester for the half

15/05/2014 at 16:42

good luck with your half marathon, i'm nervous as hell of mine as i've heard there's hills and i don't like them!!

15/05/2014 at 17:42
But if you know there are going to be hills, surely you have included hills in your training ?
15/05/2014 at 18:48
What's wrong with hills?
15/05/2014 at 22:41

nothing if you're not running up them!

15/05/2014 at 22:51
Hardcore.
16/05/2014 at 09:16

Never understood why people enter events with hills in them and then don't include hills in their training, or moan about them.

You picked the event...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.