BUPA London 10,000

I know it's expensive but what a route!!

401 to 420 of 690 messages
25/05/2009 at 20:08

Re Great Capital Run.....I have 'sources' that work at Bupa and the Great Capital Run is scheduled for September altho' no confirmed date as yet.  Also, it was listed on my Team Bupa t-shirt as Sept.  But my 'source' has also told me that it's listed on the information he has access to as a 5K.

Also, I may be able to copy the Channel 5 footage if anyone is interested (not checked quality of my recording yet)

25/05/2009 at 20:08

Why have they suddenly decided to change the Great Capital Run?  Is it because they want the Bupa 10,000 to be their main 10k in London?  Who knows...

I had a great run today and managed (according to my watch) to do a PB of 00:55:15.  I'm well impressed with that!   Now if they would just sort out their website so I can get the official chip time...

25/05/2009 at 20:39

Thanks to everyone over the last few days who gave me support and encouragement.  I got round today - although because I was raising money for charity I was so worried that I wouldn't finish that I kept having walk breaks!  I'd never done 10k before, although my running friend has, and struggled a bit with it mentally - until I saw the finish line when I suddenly started to sprint! 

The minute I finished I just wanted to do it all again 'properly' now that I knew that I could do it.  Is that normal?

Won't say the time I think I did it in as feel slightly embarrassed compared to some of the times I have read here, but given that we had a toilet break and a my friend retying shoelaces break I was quite pleased.....

Glad you all had a great day.

25/05/2009 at 20:41

Wow! Mo Farah ran it today in 27:40 and set a new British 10k record!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8066984.stm

25/05/2009 at 20:43
Come on BUPA where are those results!
25/05/2009 at 20:43

Angel, don't be afraid of sharing your time - nobody will laugh at you And no time is to be embarrassed about - you did a 10k which is more than most people! I'm no athlete by any means.

Also understand what you mean - it was very hard going for me today, but once I was over the finish I was thinking "That was GREAT!" despite spending the last hour thinking "NEVER AGAIN!" LOL

25/05/2009 at 20:56

Slow Plodder give it up Thanks to your motivational skills we did it ! Just wish I could have done it better Thanks for your sponnsor money..Am about to put it on my justgiving page

Thank you soooo much for cream and for Sponsor Money It's on my page

http://www.justgiving.com/tracyblisstwohalves

Angel well done you! So pleased you finished it! I think it's usual to do it and feel you could do it again.. it's once you know what's involved it seems easier

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 21:01
25/05/2009 at 21:08

Wow I made it home at last  ... that was some social TracyB

Actually got in at 7:30 ish but after typing a long and witty recount of the days activities my pc decided to flip out and eat my post.
In the interests of stress management I retired to the kitchen to eat pringles and calm down.

I'll post in installments as I'm still eating my beans on toast

25/05/2009 at 21:16

gmike about time.. the post was hi-jacked by unknown virtuals and I had hardly anyone to talk to Long and witty? Do we need another pub visit? It certainly beat running and going straight home.. am gradually rehydrating.. from the running.. of course...

Slow Plodder! But that silly old lady was way out of order! Couldn't she see there were 12000 people trying to run a race?! FFS! if she waited 10 minutes she could have crossed without getting under people's feet and finding it necessary to swear at them  (angry face..not sunburnt)

Mr.K. What were the forums to start ?

Hey Everyone.. did you hear me on Capital Radio this morning wishing you all luck? Oh.. that's old news now, but gave me a claim to fame

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 21:22
25/05/2009 at 21:27

WOW. The only way to describe my first ever 10k event - and I didnt stop - woo hooo!!

I thought the organisation was excellent, the fellow runners were friendly and encouraging and I even got race advice from a total stranger - must have been the terrified look on my face! 

Having well and truly caught the bug after today  can I ask the experienced guys and gals here some questions? 

- When do times become available from the chips? I'm sick of hitting refresh!

- Are there any other recommended London events? I've heard of the "British 10k"  but it seems people dont like this run for some reason.

- Do all races use the coloured zones method of separating starters by 2 minute intervals? Is it just the luck of the draw as to where you are placed? I was hoping to run with friends but we all drew different colours!!

Thanks in advance for any help !

25/05/2009 at 21:31
Tricky, a few of us discussed one of the points today. People seem to prefer the Bupa 10k to the British 10k but having now done both, the British 10k is better organised and slightly more interesting route as much of it's the same, and better goody bag but I personally don't think there's a lot in it.
Edited: 25/05/2009 at 21:31
25/05/2009 at 21:31
Guys, the results are up!
25/05/2009 at 21:32

Runs frantically to the site for chip timings...

Fab! 1-2 seconds sooner than I thought.. I have a PB ! I have a PB !

Guys.. didn't need to drown my sorrows after all

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 21:34
25/05/2009 at 21:35
Well done TracyB, I got a PB as well.  1 08 35 but I didn't get a 5k split time, did you?
25/05/2009 at 21:35

TracyB - The pub visit was definately a good shout .. a most pleasant afternoon.
I had a quick look on the capital site to see if they do listen again but no joy .. perhaps you'll make it on the podcast!

... terrorizing elderly pedestrians!!  ... and that was before the pub

25/05/2009 at 21:37
Hi DonnaG no.. do they record it for some? I knew roughly.. and it wasn't a great time whatever my running buddy says.. will carry on plodding though although had some lessons in the pub on speed work
25/05/2009 at 21:40

gmike she was way out of order! I mean.. just supposing we were on motorbikes.. she would have got mowed down! She put herself and fellow runners at risk! I looked to see if they did podcast but there's nothing about it

How's beans and toast after pringles? Am STILL rehydrating.. was a hot run Blimey! You were RIGHT at the front with 44mins exactly!

Ooooohhh have Mr.K's surname now.. is nothing sacred on the net?!

Thank you. Enjoyed it too. Was good idea! See you at Southend...

Edited: 25/05/2009 at 21:41
25/05/2009 at 21:40
Hey all, results are up on the bupa website, there are two times given though...a brutto and neeto time? Any idea what this is? Im happy though finish 79th! woop woop! well done everyone!
25/05/2009 at 21:41
Good to see the results up, although it has me as being in the M18 group. I don't mind, it's just 20 years off
25/05/2009 at 21:42
Iain: Brutto means 'gross' which I guess means the clock time from when the elites set off. Netto is your official time.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.