B.V.A.C 5 Miles Open X country

Voted one of Karen Samuel favourite races for 2012

16 messages
20/02/2013 at 14:01

Last year I ran this race and my sister Marshaled a few days later I got email from Bromley Vets to say that Runners loved her.

Actually  we both  paid and booked to run another race but we both cancelled to do

Bromley Veterans Athletic Club 5 Miles Open Cross County in 2012.

20/02/2013 at 14:10
Why was she marshalling a few days later? Wasn't it all over by then?
20/02/2013 at 14:13

Millsy are you related to Dave???  or @DVD?????

20/02/2013 at 14:19
No, just Lynne Truss.
20/02/2013 at 14:42

My point is that I should have rated this race because it is pretty damn good and great value for money.

Last year all the Ladies got a red rose and the Men got a can of Guinness,

I think it was Mothering Sunday and St. Patrick Day was close by.

As you know that 2012 was  also The Queen Diamond Jubilee - 60 years reigning as our Queen - also it was   United Kingdom Olympics and also a leap year.  What a fantastic year!

Bromley Vetrans Athletic Club produced a lovely medal to represent that year.

I not being bias but being truly honest it got to be one of my faviourite Medals for 2012.  Sussex Marathon medal was number one. (I worked hard for that one)

The home made large portions of cake were out of this world and were all free and there was plenty of it  I had seconds

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 14:44
20/02/2013 at 14:56

Anyone who has signed up for this race whether you run 4 min mile or over 15 mins miles you are all welcome.  With Running Club or not with a Running Club it does not matter.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8dMJnr6Db8

You can pay on the day £10.00

20/02/2013 at 15:02

5 mile Open Cross     Country Race

(Age 17 and Over)

UKA race permit no:12:13

at

Spring Park / Sparrows     Den, between Addington Road and

Woodland Way, West     Wickham, Kent BR4 9BB

Sunday 24 March 2013     at 10.30am

Closing date for     entries in advance: Saturday 9th March 2013

Entry Fee         Advance     = £8 with EA Licence/ £10 without EA Licence

On day = £10 CASH     ONLY

Prizes                  Individual prizes for 1st /2nd Male and 1st/2nd     Female

1st/ 2nd Male and Female aged     35+/50+/60+

Start/ finish      Next     to the marquees on the boundary between Sparrows Den and Spring Park

Course             2     challenging laps of open field, a hill climb and grassy paths through woods

Homemade cakes and Refreshments !

Complete the form     below and send it with your payment to

c/o Jim Winbourne, Bromley Veterans Athletic Club

60 Kingswood Avenue Bromley     BR2 0NY

For more info contact Jim Winbourne   07768 714 480 or james@winbourne.co.uk

Or     Simon Cowie    07961315990   or admin@bromleyvetsac.org

----------------------------------------------------cut-------------------------------------------------------

Bromley Veterans A.C.     : 5 Mile Open Cross Country Race

Sunday 24th     March 2013 at 10.30am

Name  ........................................................              Date of     Birth...............Age on race day...........

&n
20/02/2013 at 15:06
Karen Samuel wrote (see)

You can pay on the day £10.00  CASH

After the race please feel free to rate the race and those mouth watering cakes.  

Has anyone signed up yet?

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 15:12
seren nos    pirate
20/02/2013 at 15:16

I would have been gutted to receive a rose when the men had alcohol...........

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/02/2013 at 16:29
10 quid for a 5 miler ? You're having a laugh
23/03/2013 at 23:39

The race is still on tomorrow - ENJOY

24/03/2013 at 16:42
..........and where were YOU, Karen Samuel?
24/03/2013 at 17:02

Karen, do I get a free entry because we're pals?

24/03/2013 at 17:03

erm just saw this was today...so I guess not

04/04/2013 at 00:18

Bromley Veterans Cross-Country Sunday 24th March 2013 Sparrows Den, West Wickham

This was the event we’d all been anxiously awaiting. Various BVAC members had been busy in the preceding weeks,

targeting local parkruns and other races, schools, local running clubs, members of the KFL, aunties, grannies and

anyone else who could be persuaded to don a pair of running shoes or a marshal’s bib or bake a cake. As the day

drew nearer, the number of entrants climbed slowly and the wintry weather persisted, with a decidedly snowy forecast

for the fateful weekend; committee members began to wonder if the race would be a whiteout. Sure enough, the day

before brought heavy grey skies and snow, which was wet enough to turn the Bromley parkrun into a grim challenge

and Spring Park Woods into a swamp, but cold enough to remain on pavements and fields. Terry and Simon skated

up to Spring Park on the Saturday afternoon to check out the course. However, Simon is a hardy soul, who has

experienced many a cross-country mud-bath this season, and so the course was declared fit for battle!

Sunday dawned, bringing more snow, but not enough to disrupt the race. A handful of volunteers, wrapped in as many

layers as they could muster, gathered at 8am to set up the course and take the initiative test set by both Barbara &

Colin Pope and Terry McD, who had each kindly brought along their gazebos to provide shelter from the biting wind.

The race was started at 10.30am, by Bromley Veteran’s reliable timekeeper, Richard Farish. I was at a marshalling

point near the top of the woodland and was almost taken by surprise by the arrival of the first runner, the redoubtable

Gavin Kitchingham, flying through thick mud, as if it were a much friendlier surface. (I overheard one runner say as

she ran past that she would never complain about the mud at Bromley parkrun again after experiencing the conditions

at Spring Park Woods!)

As more and more runners appeared, I began to realise that, contrary to our expectation, several runners must have

taken a last-minute decision to enter our race that morning; in total there were 52 runners, with a handful of people

who didn’t make it to Sparrows Den.

The race went well, despite the conditions, and homemade cakes were enjoyed at the finish. Admittedly, there was a

longer delay in presenting prizes than we would have liked, given the bitter cold, but the committee hopes to rectify

that for next year’s race.

1st – Gavin Kitchingham, Orpington Road Runners, 35:31 1st lady – Rachel Bentley, Clapham Chasers, 42:14

Gavin had a clear lead all the way and finished almost a minute in front of second-placed Mike Baron from Swanley &

District A.C. Gavin had run to the event from Farnborough and was running home again after the presentations.

Full results are on our website:

www.bromleyvetsac.org.uk

Many thanks to Barbara Pope for her excellent organisation of the course and marshals and for lending us her

challenging gazebo, to Richard and Maureen Farish for their timekeeping, to Terry for the loan of his gazebo, to Mrs McDonald in helping with the refreshments, to Pat Cliff, for hours of work she put in beforehand in all sorts of ways, to

Adrian for being our official photographer and to James for being bold enough to name the date and start the ball rolling, also to order such impressive-looking medals. Thanks, too, to those of you who turned up on the day to

marshal etc, despite the bitter cold – without all these volunteers there would have been no race

04/04/2013 at 08:18
Wow what a race!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.