Cancer Research UK Run 10K - Dorney Lake

21 to 40 of 40 messages
26/10/2008 at 08:33
Rebecca

Many thanks for your encouragement!
Feeling quite excited now,and love running in the rain.
Kitting the family out with waterproofs though..they don't share my excitement at the mo!
Will post tonight..
26/10/2008 at 17:28

Was my very first 10k race at Dorney today - really enjoyed it despite the rain! Nice and flat, not too crowded and for a very worthwhile cause! Think I did an okish time for a first 10k - 60:54, definately wasn't last which was an added bonus! Yay!  Hopefully will improve on the time on my next one

Oh and the drummers halfway round were great too!

26/10/2008 at 18:53
My first 10k and did 65:20.

Very pleased with that although no hills but I now have a PB to break next time.

I enjoyed the drummers too but shame not much support around the course although weather played a large part-my children were cold and wet and very fed up by the time I'd finished!! Also less runners than I thought so course not too crowded.

A great day and I feel I can definately continue to improve..

dusty.nebulosity great time,very well done..

26/10/2008 at 19:28

Well done - I really enjoyed it - despite the rain!

Do we get an official time - anyone know?

27/10/2008 at 08:29

I don't think there are official times as there was no chip timing. However they might give your time to cross the line and leave it up to you to deduct the time it took to cross the start line.  Even so, I can't see a link anywhere to collect them. I did however find a link for the Photo's but they are not there as yet.

I put the bike on the back of the car as I read about the 20 mins walk to the start, but didn't expect the 35 minutes from the A4 to the car park. Next year I'll be parking up in Bray / Windsor and will cycle in.

Really enjoyed the event, got a great PB (for me), and bumped into an old school friend.

BTW tune played by the drummers was somehow familiar.. . . Was it the opening bars to "Hawii 5-0", the bit before it gets to the trumpets?  

27/10/2008 at 09:55

enjoyed it despite the weather. the course was actually 9.6k according to my Garmin so i had to add a couple of mins on to my time to get a realistic time. Shame. This was the same at the Herts 10k recently. You would have thought they would get the distance right

Apart from that and the queue to get in it was well organised and was nice and flat. Not a PB for me but not too far off

28/10/2008 at 16:58

Yep, my Garmin recorded it at 9.68 too - bloody annoying.

If you are going to advertise a 10k, please measure it right, it's not that flaming difficult!!

Setting off 6/7 minutes late when its raining is also not welcomed!

28/10/2008 at 18:50
I'm really annoyed as this was my first 10k (or so I thought!)
Is my time of 65:20 not valid as it wasn't a true 10k?
How much time should I add on...?
Should've been so simple to measure a flat surface almost twice around a lake!
Come on Run 10k thats not really good enough,or perhaps now we should call the event Run 9.68k?!!
28/10/2008 at 19:11

Just mapped it again and it was absolutely not 10 km. I am gutted as well as I ran 47.19 though the fact that this was a PB for 10k by over 2minutes shows there is something wrong!

Gutted as I would have run a genuine PB if the course had been 10km.

I remember thinking that the main problem cam betweed the 1st and 2nd Km markers as I look down at my watch at the "2km" marker and it was out bu about 0.25 of a km.

29/10/2008 at 09:15

The good news is the pictrues are published .. 

Running Pictures

29/10/2008 at 09:18
Oh dear I look like a hot drowned rat!  Bib number 850!
29/10/2008 at 09:24
If anyone spots 1242 could they drop me a line?
29/10/2008 at 13:30

How annoying that the 10k that you think you've run isn't actually 10k!! 

What method do race organisers normally use to measure a course??

My race picture is scary...I look like I'm about to keel over......lol

29/10/2008 at 13:34

Most people look about the keel over or in severe pain!

There is only one photo of me and thats at the end when I could no longer feel my legs!!

29/10/2008 at 14:04

It was bloody cold and wet wasn't it.?!! ..... I had to wring out my lovely '4 sizes too big' Run10k t-shirt when I eventually made it home. It's not looked the same since....

Struthie, do I recognise your name from R4W? Did you run Windsor 8? The two races couldn't have been more different weather wise!

31/10/2008 at 08:08

Hey Dusty yes thats me!

Windsor was baking hot,and Dorney well it wasn't!

My garmin says it was 9.72km , I know when I did the Dorney dash it started further back and you ran around the back of the boathouse before the end , most annoyed that it wasn't 10k.

I t was very cold - just glad I bought a running vest from Aldi the day before!!

Now to collect my sponsor money!

31/10/2008 at 08:57

I've seen 3 reports from Garmin owners that claim 9.6, 9.68 and now 9.72

I wonder what would have happened if we all went over to the Garmin tent  by the loos and asked the question "why they were all different"?

31/10/2008 at 10:44

There is only one race at Dorney lake which is offically measured at 10k and that is the Dorney Dash. It has been measured by someone who is accredited. All others are measured by the organisers and therefore you cannot assume the distance to be correct. F3 events claim to be 100% accurate, but they measured using a GPS and not using anyone who is accredited

09/11/2008 at 16:07

Anyone know if there are any results up for this anywhere?

Really annoyed it wasnt actually 10k! I need to get myself one of those Garmin things!

06/06/2009 at 14:44

Just resurrecting this thread as I've just done the Dorney Dash 10k at the lake and I'm sure the course was longer.

Was anyone else there today?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.