Candleford Canter Ladies Only 10K

Come on ladies, you know you want to!

1 to 20 of 106 messages
01/10/2007 at 09:37

OK.  4 weeks to go so who is up for this one?  Nice scenery, friendly marshalls and yummy cakes

05/10/2007 at 22:17
Boing!
09/10/2007 at 14:39
Just you and I interested then Bridget!!
10/10/2007 at 10:56
Oooh, did someone say cakes???  How could I resist!  This will be my first women-only event, so I'm looking forward to it.  It will be nice not to have all those lanky blokes bounding past you!
10/10/2007 at 11:03
No, we're making them all mashall for us! We've been training them on how to cheer loudly!
12/10/2007 at 15:41

Last year one of them had a list and called us all by name

12/10/2007 at 15:50

This year he will hopefully know all our names without even thinking Bridget!

12/10/2007 at 16:14

pb course for me after running last year........... that marshall was indeed lovely

Think our team was 4th with one of us winning another prize.

Will consider entering, not very fit at the moment & recovering from food poisoning today so that's set my back even further!!!!!!!!

12/10/2007 at 18:45
I got a spot prize for reducing my pb by over 3 min, not think I'll manage that again
15/10/2007 at 14:39

Hi, I was thinking of running this one.  Only done one 10k as I'm fairly new to running.  I started road running in June, having only previously run on the treadmill.  Have another 10k race coming up at end of November but can't wait until then feel like I need to do another race before then.  Yes I am already addicted!

How would you rate this rate for newbies?  My best 10k so far in training is 57 mins.

Thanks

15/10/2007 at 14:58

Hi Jo, you'll find this one of the friendliest races around. It's a lovely rural, quiet course with very encouraging marshals and newbie or not we welcome everyone!

I'll be on the late entries desk before the race if you want to come and say Hi.

Helen

15/10/2007 at 15:56

Thanks Helen, sounds good.  I think I will enter, just need to check if my in-laws can babysit, husband has work comitments.

Jo 

17/10/2007 at 21:43
Hi there,
Thinking of running this one also! Is it a flat course or undulating. First race in the UK!!! I am an Aussie!!!

Rose
18/10/2007 at 08:37

Hi Rose,

I'd be lying if I said it was completely flat, there's a few undulations but nothing too bad.

There'll be plenty of friendy faces around the course from the marshals and those of us running.... and cakes at the end  so for a first race it'll be a good one!

Hope to see you there, come and say Hi before the start.

Helen

19/10/2007 at 15:43

Hi Rose

As Helen says it undulates occasionally but nothing that I would describe as a hill.  Nice scenery through the villages/hamlets as well.

Plus as already said we're a friendly lot at our club

19/10/2007 at 15:47

Any particular reason that 50% of the population are excluded?

I prefer events which welcome everyone.

19/10/2007 at 16:19

Good point Wilkie!

This is the third year of this race so it's still very new. It's not that we wanted to exclude 50% of the population, more that we wanted to promote ladies running in the local area.

We do organise two other races in the year- the Chardon 5k in May and the Andy Reading 10k, on 9th December this year, which are open to everyone

19/10/2007 at 19:03
From my experience of running this (twice), there was a really nice atmosphere during this whole race BECAUSE it was just women - less of a competitive feel or something. As Helen says, there are a lot of local ladies who run, but don't want to race in big events where there are (they think) lots of fast people...this race seems to give some of them the incentive to join in, then maybe do more races/ join a club after.
20/10/2007 at 11:21

Hi Guys, we sponsor this event along with the running club who put the event on. looking forward to seeing loads of you there....entries are comming in thick and fast but there are still places available.

in response to Wilkie's post womens running is a massively growing area and we are happy to support it, a lot of the ladies who enter this race would not enter mixed races as they feel intimidated by the some of the male runners.  I see it as a good thing and I am all in favour of promoting something a little new.

hope you will enter the Andy Reading 10K

22/10/2007 at 08:50
did this last year, was awesome friendly race with great support from marshalls and spectators in the villages along the way. Looking forward to it again Definitely one to enter if you're not sure
1 to 20 of 106 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.