Cardiff Half Marathon October 2012

21 to 40 of 52 messages
26/07/2012 at 10:34

I've signed up for this, its my first half. I'm taking August to train for it (and cut down on the wine!) Any ideas on where to park for it? Are they doing buses from any carparks?

28/08/2012 at 13:25

i've signed up for this...its my first half marathon and i'm so excited/nervous/panicky. I started running in January and can comfortably do nine miles. i'm a little behind with training at the mo due to getting married/going on honeymoon! i've been blogging about my training and each view i'm getting is making me more motivated to run further!

http://hannaheevans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/you-can-walk-my-path-you-can-wear-my.html 

28/08/2012 at 14:22

Hi Hannah

Don't panic - "only" 9 miles at this stage will be enough to get you round if you keep building on it. You've got 6 weeks yet and so long as you don't panic yourself int doing too much you have plenty of time - just take it steady

Alicatty - there is plenty of parking in the City Centre - around the civic centre/North Road and the Greyfriars NCP are the closest but will no doubt fill up early.  There are also a few park and rides around the city

29/08/2012 at 14:00

Looking forward to this. 3rd year for me, and 3rd different route! It'll be my 6th HM overall and so far I've got PB's in each one... no pressure then.

Looks like they might sell out all 20,012 places soon with 15,000 mark being passed a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it's Olympics influence, but I know at least a dozen people running this year whereas a couple of years ago I didn't know anyone doing it.

Hannah - you should be fine if your up to 9 miles now. That was about were I was at before the Cardiff HM 2 years ago which was my first. Would be good if you could get one or two 10 milers in just to boost the confidence a bit but not vital if your happy to just get round for your first attempt.

12/09/2012 at 01:12

I haven't run for 2 years and I'm nearly wetting myself with excitement for this event. I love this run. I remember running through the city centre previously (through The Hayes). It was amazing to see and hear thousands of people running through the pedestrian areas. It was excellent. There were a couple of annoying (and seemingly pointless) bottle necks, but, I liked the flyover bit. I quite like a route change too. I wish they would bring back the marathon and let the finish line be within the stadium again. Wow. It was perfect.

The best marathon I've done is London, and Cardiff is the best half marathon. The complete worst was Victoria Falls. That's what put me off for two years.

Anyhoo...woohoooooo. Can't wait.

17/09/2012 at 11:15

Did anyone else recieve their race pack on the weekend?  It took me a bit by surprise as it seemed very early to send them out but know I should not complain. 

17/09/2012 at 11:38

Nope, not got mine yet although I know a few others who have

17/09/2012 at 12:31

Got my race pace on Friday. Was also suprised it was so early although they've closed entries now which is strange as I don't think it's a sell out. Maybe they are going to try and sell the remaining places to Barnado's or something which is the route I had to go down last year as I was caught out by it selling out sooner than I expected

17/09/2012 at 12:52

Mine's turned up now - delighted that it's starting at 9 am this year - it got too hot last year

17/09/2012 at 20:50

Received mine on Friday last week. This will be my seventh time of doing this HM in Cardiff. Always enjoyable and seem to change the route quite frequently. Have not done much training though for various reasons, just did 8 miles today for the first time in 6 months so will have to push on with the training now! Travelling from Surrey on the Saturday and back again on the Sunday.

11/10/2012 at 12:27

Expected a few more posts on here with it being so close to the day. How's everyone feeling? What targets are people setting themselves?

My PB for half marathon is 1:49:14 which I did in Malvern in June this year. However, after limited running whilst I was away a couple of weeks ago, and a cold since which thankfully is 90% better, I'm not even considering a PB this time. Will be very pleased with sub 2 hours.

11/10/2012 at 13:51

just checked last years time 2.07.48 so must beat that this time around

looking at weather on BBC it looks like there may be a bit of rain which won't do us any harm, it was unseasonably warm last year

looking forward to crossing the Bay again, last year I was to knackered to enjoy it

travelling down from North Wales saturday, last training run last night, feet up until Sunday morning

11/10/2012 at 15:14

Travelling over from Aylesbury on Saturday, staying with a mate in town. First half for about 4 years so should be fun! 1.45 is my aim 1.55 more likely!

12/10/2012 at 09:04

Hi All,

Does anyone have or know of anyone who has a spare place for the cardiff half this weekend?

Cheers

Andrew

12/10/2012 at 16:32
So looking forward to it now I have decided to run x coming back from injury but up to 8 miles now so hoping can manage to make it all the way round x going to run slowly and pace myself x loads of people I know are doing it so it is really adding to the atmosphere x didn't enjoy last year with the dual carriage way but this year it looks good x running for L.A.T.C.H in purple there are loads of us apparently xxxx

Park and ride by Leckwith Stadium or near County hall would be useful as only takes about 10-15 mins to get in to centre depending on traffic but not sure what time they start running
John Lewis car park in the centre is good to and not to far a walk from start x

Leave plenty of time to get there arrive at least an hour before to find out where u have to be and use toilets x chaos last year x
14/10/2012 at 13:34

I was the marshal at mile 3 today and a item was left on the side of the  road, if it's yours tell me what it is and I will try to return it to you.

15/10/2012 at 08:27

What a cracking race!!! 

The route was pretty friendly, the crowds were awesome and the marshalls were FAB!!!

Back next year to beat 1:54 from yesterday!

15/10/2012 at 10:00

I totally agree itsbeef, It was a cracking race, i loved it. 

15/10/2012 at 10:13

PB for me - I got my sub 2 by the skin of my teeth - 1:59:57!!  But I did it and after 2.5 weeks of no running due to shin splints I was delighted as it's my home town.  Who put that comedy hill at 21k???

15/10/2012 at 15:24

To Roy Silver,

I lost something at roughly that point can you email me j915@btinternet.com ?

Thanks

Jon

21 to 40 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.