Cardiff Half-Marathon

201 to 220 of 511 messages
02/10/2009 at 16:29

pingu- my avatar is a clue lol

still no race pace, although it does say on the e-mail, it could take up to the 14th

Iron Pingu    pirate
02/10/2009 at 16:38
Fanstastic, I shall look out for you
02/10/2009 at 17:23
I might come and join you on the 1:40 group Stray Celt, not sure what time to aim for and will no doubt be undecisive and won't decide until the day.
ImRio    pirate
02/10/2009 at 20:22

Got my race pack and my VLM acceptance mag today.  Both franked by the dog on arrival at the house!

Number 4446 for me

Daz who said it would be mission impossible?

02/10/2009 at 20:40
I'm actually getting nervous now about this race which is strange for me but given it was the first ever race I did 12 months ago and I was really pleased with my team (1:45), it's an important race for me. I think I'll aim to start off with the 1:40 group but really I'd just love to beat last years time, even by a second!
02/10/2009 at 22:00

I did beat my PB by a second this year, laurag, and I think it's about the most annoying thing you can do in competition with yourself!  I mean, one second!  What's the point in that!!  If I missed it by a second, I'd be upset, but I'd know exactly what I needed to do.  If I beat it by loads of seconds I'd be really happy that my training was paying off.  But one second, what does that mean?  Can I stop there?  One second in 13.1 miles!  At least I know what my race pace is...

Sprocket    pirate
02/10/2009 at 23:31

I've not had my race pack through yet got my VLM reject though.  I too will be racing in pirate kit.  Am aiming for around 2:10 if i'm being realistic.  Did 2:01:25 at Llanelli but have had a knee op etc this year so am no where near fit enough.  As I watched last year on crutches anything is a bonus this year    Have a hilly 10 miler planned for tomorrow.  Is anyone doing a long run next weekend too or starting to lay off?  Can't  decide.....

Iron Pingu    pirate
03/10/2009 at 00:25

Long hilly one for me in the morning too.

03/10/2009 at 01:05
Anyone got a number and not racing? Its not for me its for a mate who has been injured and did not enter.
03/10/2009 at 06:23
Well I know I'm not in the best shape and don't feel ready. I've done fewer and shorter long runs than last year. I got shin splints training for the marathon and took time out. But it's 18 months of running versus 6 so I just don't want to do worse!
03/10/2009 at 08:25

pebble,

my mate entered ages ago and forgot, so booked a holiday, im not sure which he is doing, so i will find out and let you know

03/10/2009 at 09:14
I think I'll do worse than last year which sort of defeats the object really-feeling negative-It's not the taking part it's the improving that counts-How does one combat negativiy with only 2 weeks to go!!!
03/10/2009 at 18:43
Cheers Hovis
03/10/2009 at 18:53

Pebble - I managed to source one here, you might be lucky:

Fetch Cardiff Spaces Thread

Rio - what's that they say about new tricks

ImRio    pirate
03/10/2009 at 20:58
Guess you should know Daz but this one is still learning loads!
03/10/2009 at 22:25

not so fit, you have to look at it differently.  If it doesn't go well on the day, blame the race organisation, blame the other runners, blame the course, blame the lack of toilets at the start.  Or, if you really think it was your training, blame the early nights, the overwork, the family that just doesn't understand, the dog that you tripped over spraining your ankle.  Just don't blame yourself, you're doing everything that you can!

Honestly, you're going to have a great day out, doing something you love, alongside thousands of other people who love doing the same thing you do.  You're going to get fed, watered, and cheered along the way; laugh at strained photographs online afterwards; and sign up for every other race you can find!

Who needs a PB?  They're easy.  I got one in the very first Half I ran!

03/10/2009 at 22:40

Hey Ratzer-you're right.  I think it's coz I did an eleven miler Thursday-never got into it-hated every step and just thought-Thank God that's over at the end-Didn't even get the post race buzz-wheras the week before I felt great-Just a bad day!  Gotta do the Cardiff 10k next Sunday as well.

Just gotta think-everyone else is suffering too around the 9-10 mark!

04/10/2009 at 21:28

So, what are the identifying signs for the pacers?

Are there energy drinks en route?  Site only mentions water stops.

Is the start segmented by time?  Properly?  And policed?

Is the bag label going to stay stuck to the bag?

Are 11,000 cars going to be able to park near the start, when there're about 2500 spaces?

Why haven't they changed the name to half-snickers yet?

04/10/2009 at 22:51

Going on last year:

They were holding sticks with small cards with the time.

No just water I think.

Yes, sort of, no.

Wrap it round a strap and stick sticky bit to sticky bit?

No but lots of locals will get trains/buses/lifts in.

Can't help you with that one!

05/10/2009 at 09:52

Rio - carry on learning then!

Some right cheerful chappies on here

Still no pack for me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.