Chelmsford 10 K

1 to 20 of 40 messages
22/10/2002 at 17:56
Does anyone know anything about this one. I did my first10k two weeks ago and am looking for another to try and get below 60 mins.

thanks
23/10/2002 at 14:05
Do you know when it is scarlett1

jenks
23/10/2002 at 14:56
hi, its the 24th Nov Jenks...it says on the link above...

Seriously areyou thinking of going?

23/10/2002 at 18:27
I've now added this event to the Races page on the URWFRC website. Come on and sign up for it y'all......
23/10/2002 at 18:36
I've just downloaded the entry from from Chelmsford AC's website, so I guess I'll be doing it.

Glenn
23/10/2002 at 18:42
For those of you who like to turn up at the last minute it's worth noting that no entries will be accepted on the day after 1.30pm (2.30 start).
23/10/2002 at 19:35
Thought I'd ask Glenn what the URL for Chelmsford AC is, then decided to bloody well get my finger out. It's....

http://www.btinternet.com/~chelmsfordac/

Thinking hard about this one. Will probably leave it til the day (pre-1:30!) in case my knee doesn't like Stowmarket.
23/10/2002 at 21:22
I'm aiming to run it (last race of the year for me unless I do Ely on New Years Eve.)

I'm guess from the lack of information from anybody, that nobody here has ever run it before.

Hope its flat as I would like to go out this year with a bang. If its not flat, it could be my calf going out with a bang!

Mike.
24/10/2002 at 08:03
Not a great deal of info on the Chelmsford site, something about a largely rural setting which is suitable for all comers, which is good!
24/10/2002 at 08:12
I may consider this one too. I work in Chelmsford and it doesn't seem to be hilly, but I am not sure of the exact route.
24/10/2002 at 09:12
As it starts at Melbourne Stadium and says it's rural, I assume the course must be out around the Chignals somewhere. Not notoriously hilly.
24/10/2002 at 13:41
I've done this for the last two years, and use this course as part of my marathon training.

Basically you start on Chignall road and head round Chignall Smealy and Chignall St James. This section is slightly undulating (for round here which is not saying a lot), and finish in Melbourne Stadium, so nice flat straight finish. I think you have a choice of socks or something else at the end.

The majority of it is rural, you pass some nice houses. The only hazard I've encountered was the first time I ran it, a lady was riding her horse on the roads and unsurprisingly it spooked and cantered down the road with runners fleeing those flailing hooves. Once this year I did the route was training for FLM only to discover the road was covered with cows as they decided to go for a saunter from the local farm!
24/10/2002 at 22:08
Hi,Parky. As youve done the run do you think Ill be ok running it, I finished my last 10K in 65 mins. Im hoping for a bit of company at the back...

Cheers

Like the sound of horses and cows being the only hazards
27/10/2002 at 12:51
Hi scarlett1. I am thinking of entering this one and it will be my first race of any kind! I only run occasionally and want to get more disciplined (and fitter) so a race seems a good way to do that. Any way the point in replying to your thread is i expect you will have some company at the back even if its only me. I have no idea of times but will be looking just to get round an finish! maybe see you at back dodging the cows and horses.

jel
28/10/2002 at 22:59
Myself and my two "in-laws" have entered the Chlemsford 10K and only one of us has done this distance in a race before so there is bound to be at least 5 of us at the back of the field!

Should be good fun though-am looking forward to my first race.
jel
29/10/2002 at 09:25
Scarlett1,

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be okay. Its quite a biggish field and theres a real range of runners there. Give it a go, I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of people behind you!

Actually its quite a nice route, specially round Chignall Smealy
29/10/2002 at 10:58
This sounds really silly but I've never taken part in a race before and I would like to know if I'm likely to be the only one that walks part of the route.Im running the london marathon and need as much help as possible-I just want to get round the course
29/10/2002 at 12:52
Excellent race with good quality field. The course is mildly undulating with a couple of small inclines after half way but is run on quiet country roads. Several runners including myself were terrified 2 years ago when some poor woman lost control of the horse she was riding and the horse bolted down the road. Thankfully both were ok but I've never seen so many runners move to the left hand side of a road so quickly before!!
04/11/2002 at 09:39
Can anyone tell me, how this course compares to the Billericay course, in regard to hills !!!!!
04/11/2002 at 11:46
There are some undulations mainly around Chignall St James which is probably the 6k - 7k mark, and then a hill from the Three Elms upto Melbourne road.

Theres a slight incline near the start but nothing like the two near the start at Billericay.

However there is a nice flat straight finish towards the Melbourne stadium
1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.