Chester Half Marathon

81 to 98 of 98 messages
19/05/2014 at 09:25

I noticed a lot of sirens as well yesterday and hope that everyone who did take ill are all on the mend now. I will try again next year for the sub 2 hours which I had managed quite easily in training and pray that the sun does not come out again.

Well done to all that did finish as that was brutal

19/05/2014 at 09:33

Brutal explains that finish perfectly!!  That takes out any chance of a good finish.  The last 200m or so is nice but the preceding 1k is just horrific!

19/05/2014 at 09:51

Wow that was hot - i thought it was just me but by the sounds of it the total energy drain by 1/2 way was normal. I started heaving at around 9 miles and after seeing all the bodies (hope they are ok) on the side decided to walk plod slower the rest.  2.35 in the end which i'm pleased with as my target was only 2.30.  Couldn't fault the organisation and quite liked the route, thought the finish was amazing the crowds managed to perk me up enough to sprint ish for the line once i could see it.  I agree the little boy with the hose was an angel and the 3 children a littel further on with giant water pistols.

Think i may be back next year

19/05/2014 at 10:26

It was very tough and that hill at the finish nearly finished me off.  I was with the 2hr20m pacers for a lot of the race who were absolutely brilliant.

The kid with the hose was a godsend and the organisation was top notch.

I was amazed how difficult it was for the ambulances to get through due to people wearing headphones.  I hope the people at the side of the road are all okay.

cougie    pirate
19/05/2014 at 10:47
And still you get people wanting to run races in headphones swearing blind they can hear everything thats going on.

When they're banned - they're banned for a reason.
19/05/2014 at 10:49

Headphones were an issue but so were people in the wrong pens walking up the flyover to the fountains roundabout less than a mile in. Not quite sure what was going on there.

Edited: 19/05/2014 at 10:50
19/05/2014 at 11:32

I got a position about 10 feet behind the 2 hour pacers in the hope I would follow them at least halfway and try and kick on from there. By the time I shuffled to the start they were out of sight! Not that I could have followed the way I was feeling

19/05/2014 at 12:21

I was with the 1:50 pacers for the first three miles, but there is no way i felt like I could keep that pace in the heat.  Settled back and ran my own Slower race and still managed a PB 1:57:03 and first time under 2 hours.  Some great support out on the course, even in the remote bits.  That hill near the finish nearly finished me off but some encouragement from several other runners got me going again.  Great friendly race.  I will be back next year in search of sub 1:50!

19/05/2014 at 12:26

I started with the 2.30 pacers who were just brilliant but found it quite congested around them so after pulling a little ahead of them i settled in there running just within earshot so i knew i was at a steady pace.  They went by me around 9 miles when i started to slow but i decided not to push to stay with them as by that point it was all about finishing. Would love to of been able to run with them properly they were a right laugh.

19/05/2014 at 13:18

Rubbish time (2.31) way over my pb 

Just realised how very disrespectful that sounds to everybody who (like me) gritted their teeth and suffered to get over the finishing line.  It wasn't rubbish, it wasn't even rubbish for me  -  I was just feeling brassed off after all the training that it hurt so much and felt very inadequate compared with the leader board!

It's easy when you read these forums and hear tales of 1.20 HMs and endurance athletes doing inhuman things to get intimidated and think that a 2.30+ HM is somehow second rate and it bloody isn't!  Even putting your socks and shoes on and getting to the starting line is better than 99% of the population I'm guessing so I'm actually feeling quite good about the whole thing now I've given myself a talking to.

Well done all! 

19/05/2014 at 14:12

I just went for it.  I knew the heat was tough but came prepared with a camelbak and a cap.  I beat my PB and came in at 1hr 29:10 . And the best thing is that the achillies problem that has blighted 2014 to date seems to be under control.  Now the problem is that in a moment of madness last year i signed up for 2 races in May.  So now my thoughts turn to getting myself ready for the Liverpool full marathon (tacky rock n roll marathon) on Sunday.

I really appreciate the organisation of the Chester races - the route isn't as scenic as the full marathon but the finish in the City centre was great

20/05/2014 at 12:08

I thought it was really well organised.  My second HM (first was Wirral in 2013). Hadn't done enough prep but was only a minute slower than Wirral, which is properly flat. Given the stories here about people struggling with the heat I'm pretty pleased with that.

20/05/2014 at 22:43

The winner managed around 1hr 05 I think, I managed 2hr 23., as you can see worlds apart but this by no means undermines the effort put in by everyone who runs a HM.

Its not just the run itself, its the hours of getting off the couch and pulling your running shoes on.

No-one should ever put themselves down after attempting a HM! It's 13.1 miles.  TBH if it takes you 4hrs so what, you'll still be faster and prouder than the people who sit on there backside.

Anyone who runs at all has my unending respect, its not easy (well not for this 52 year old anyway). so pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

*Waxlion climbs off the soapbox*

21/05/2014 at 12:58

That's exactly what I said to myself eventually Waxlion and you're absolutely right!

I think it comes from years of childhood of being told 'don't think you're better than anyone else, just because you've......' (fill in appropriate proud achievement).  I find it difficult to be proud of myself and always expect to be smacked round the head for showing off! 

*Lily gets off the therapist's couch......* 

22/05/2014 at 09:36

Now this is all over and done with where is everyone off to next? I am looking at either the Wirral Half in October or the Rhyl Half (Runfest) at the end of June but I cannot seem to find much info on either?

22/05/2014 at 09:43

Wirral Half highly recommended. I did it last year - my first - well organised, very flat, bit of an issue with looping around at the end but I think there are plans to change the course this year.  BTR organise events really well.

22/05/2014 at 09:47

Thanks Mark, just the recommendation I was after. 

22/05/2014 at 09:51

No worries.  I'm off to the Buxton Triathlon next, maybe via the Mersey Tunnel 10k.  I need regular races to keep my motivation going!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 98 of 98 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.