Chester marathon 2012

3,081 to 3,100 of 3,474 messages
08/10/2012 at 16:23

Wow.. well done everyone.. I managed 18 miles of running then run walked to a first time marathon tome of 4.32. Rather chuffed with that!. Great marshalls and loved everyone that showed support all the way around! All I will say is ditch that bloody hill at the end that has to be short of ridiculous? 

08/10/2012 at 16:37

Well done... but if you had cut your hair beforehand, you'd have broken the 4.30 barrier.

xe
08/10/2012 at 16:45

"We wish you a merry marathon" it was just brilliant - I've already mentioned how tough I am, but I certainly got a lump in my throat then.

Also the woman at 24 miles shouting random support - mega, she really got me going again.

Did anyone else notice, at around mile 7, the straight mile road, there were loads and loads of really long worms?

As for yesterday - as promised, after the race --- pissed. Had 2 bottles of cold beer whilst lying in the bath, and then more with my curry. Followed by a very early night.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 16:46
08/10/2012 at 17:02
THE WORMS! I was terrified they were all going to get killed. I ended up thinking I was on LSD. Freaky.
08/10/2012 at 17:03

xe, yes I noticed the worms .. really strange ... I've run down there a few times recently on my LSR's (albeit going the other way) and never noticed the crack Worm Suicide Squad before.

08/10/2012 at 17:19
My personal favourite bit was about mile 15 when a fella shouted to me 'Walton saved my wifes life'.....got quite choked up there. Was running for Walton Neuro Fund so was on my top. If I don't run Chester marathon next year i will most certainly be there cheering the runners on and coming out with some classic one liners!!
08/10/2012 at 17:26
Ah THE WORMS, my only guess is that the stampede of runners sent vibrations through to the worms, usually they make an appearance when it rains so the poor fellas probably sensed the vibrations thinking it was rain???

First marathon for me, 3 hours 26. Delighted, couldn't run 10k this time last year. I too loved the kids singing, the extremely passionate woman at mile 24, a guy on the last mile shouting at me to get my arse in gear to get a sub 3:30. Whoever you are, thank you.

Well done everyone!
Managed to numb the pain last night courtesy of the pub, suffering today though.
xe
08/10/2012 at 17:49

Another highlight -- I took a rest within the last mile, just around the corner from the racetrack, another runner screamed at me"come on, you're nearly there" and then kept screaming at me until I got into the racetrack "come on! come on!"

It was really loud, but exactly what I needed, so if it was you, wearing a white adidas vest and you were shouting at the blond bloke in the union flag vest, thank you.

I think I may have already said how tough I am, but I couldn't help filling up with emotion all the way round. I even shed a tear on the M56 going home, which wasn't wise at 85 mph because the salt on my face ran straight into my eyes!

kmb
08/10/2012 at 17:58
Hello all again, And a big well done!!!!

I Loved it! The support going around was superb, puts bigger races to shame. I know it's been said before the names on numbers is genius!

Bluemoon86 that guy was about .5m from the finish for me, and same thing .... You can do.... If you..... Re-focused me, just in time!

15west, well done!! I'm looking forward to the photos to see if I recognise you, good luck in London i will be following you on the tracking.

Jason ... Well you were right, after a wobbly last 4 miles and a apparant non working chip, at the finish ( had a nervous wait to confirm I did finish ) I went sub 3 first time! ...... V happy , been given 2:59:31.

Once again thanks for all the humour and advice from...... ALL!
08/10/2012 at 18:00
I was surprised how emotional the whole thing was, the support was moving from the spectators and marshals, and my fellow runners really kept each others spirits up making sure I and others who were struggling were ok.
I've totally changed my mind now and will sign up for next year for sure - I can't imagine a better experience for the marathon.
08/10/2012 at 18:16

kmb - we may have run in the same group for a while, it's funny how running in a pack tends to help. From about mile 20 to 24 I was a bit isolated and kept trying to catch the group infront - but couldn't quite make it...until that final hill when they slowed more than me. Well done on going sub 3 also - despite the fatigue I'm really buzzing today.

After all my 3 marathons I have wanted to cry when crossing the line - very bizarre - I guess it's body telling me something!

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 18:17
kmb
08/10/2012 at 18:34
15West - defo we were close together, first HM was good as you say running with others was a treat, I think (like you?) a sub 3 without a running club is something I'm proud of. After 15 it stretched and mentally by 22 (the furthest I'd ran) it was tough, as I'd been warned ... By yourself I think! At some point you passed me, think I had 40sec on you at halfway, and you made up around 1.20 on me in the second ..... Quality running! Think it shows the mileage helps I averaged 48mpw for this, the p&d you followed is more..... Oh and I bought the book already, so maybe there will be a second!!!??

Jason - also congrats on the prize!
08/10/2012 at 19:02

a sub 3 on 48mpw is absolutely outstanding.  Well done kmb.  

08/10/2012 at 19:29
Hamstring getting tighter by the hour ... keeping stretching and have a massage booked for Friday. Wondering when to run again ... might have a week off. Still knackered ....
08/10/2012 at 19:32

kmb- well done on the sub 3

WORMS?????????????????

Loving all the stories- and totally agree about the support. I certainly don't know of a race that matches it....

08/10/2012 at 19:32

yeah - have a week off - otherwise you'll just get injured.

08/10/2012 at 19:46

Jason, obviously the worms were disturbed by the Road Runners whizzing past under the 3hr bracket.  You will have missed em by miles. 

08/10/2012 at 19:46
Thanks 15 ... nice to have confirmation from a proper runner that I'm doing the right thing

Jason you were obviously running too fast to see the worms! The guys I were running with at the time went with the 'vibrations from the footsteps have confused the worms into thinking it's raining' theory too. Poor buggers ... that many feet trampling past! Think I avoided them all!
08/10/2012 at 19:49

Rest Claire yes, I was only kind of joking before when I said I was going out for a jog.  I couldn't be arsed to walk past 0.25 miles!  

I took 2 or 3 days off after Manchester BUT I wasn't as obliterated as I feel after Chester. 

08/10/2012 at 19:54

I ran yesterday with my disabled son in his wheelchair-we usually run half marathons and I was looking for the right race for Dominic and I to go long-Andy and Chris were brilliant from the moment I got in touch and asked if we could run and we had an absolute ball yesterday. Great organisation, a beautiful course which although testing in places (especially when pushing a chair) was a joy to run. We had a great race and finished in just over 4 hours, we could of gone under 4 but Dominic decided that daddy was getting a little sweaty and not able to talk to him at 35km so we slowed down relaxed and enjoyed the ride for the final stretch. Loved the lemming like worms, although I was told off for running a few over (sorry) and the village green football match-we saw a goal on the way past! We will be back again next year.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.