Chester marathon 2012

3,361 to 3,380 of 3,474 messages
15/10/2012 at 10:58

Well 1st run since Chester for me yesterday.

My local half marathon in Maidstone.

Decided after my 20 mile meltdown that I would treat this as an enjoyable jog rather than race it.

Another beautiful Autumn morning (clear, no wind, sunny blue skies, just a hint of mist as we looked down the valley)

Got round in 1-46, which given my fit and fresh pb is 1-36 was ok.

My quads still complained massively from about 5 miles onwards but good to get out.

Another weeks rest and then build up distance and intensity methinks...

15/10/2012 at 11:06

Jez

Yes I was there yesterday as well and what a great day to run. Makes it even better when it goes virtually past my house. I didn't have a marathon in me but got one coming up so I to decided on an easy run (1:47 - my PB 1:38). Having run last year and pushed myself it was great to be able to enjoy the run down Thurnham Lane this year - infact my last 3 miles were at 7:30 pace. Even better afterwards with a Sunday Roast and a couple of pints in The Bell.

15/10/2012 at 11:13

Jez

Come to think of it if you were wearing your White Chester Marathon top when you were queuing up for Number and chip I was stood just behind you.

15/10/2012 at 15:12
MATT- accrington is a hilly course in my opinion. At the time my pb was 34:51 and on the day of accrington I was just as fit but only managed 36 an half if I remeber rightly. It was in 2011. Enjoyed it all the way but its not a corse for pb efforts though. Not by any means.
15/10/2012 at 16:59
Cheers Andy.
15/10/2012 at 20:00

I did a half as well yesterday, decided to just run how I felt but went out fairly hard and was on for a PB until about 9 miles, pace & form started to drop then as I felt tired all of a sudden, finished in 1:33:14, so around 90 seconds slower than my best time, I think there is a PB there for me next year if I train well

15/10/2012 at 20:08
BP, yep that was me, funny how our little world of runners travel in similar circles.

Much as I love the Pilgrims Way part of the course and have run on to Detling village too in marathon training too it pains me to say how chaotic some of the organisation is for Maidstone compared to Chester.
The paths along the A20 are a nightmare, I run on the road most years I do the event, and the chip and number collecting on the day just doesn't work.

But agreed just a lovely morning to be up on the North Downs, my quads didn't like Thurnham hill, but it's usually a great place to pick off people like myself!

Are you a Maidstone Harrier by chance or just a solo runner like me?
15/10/2012 at 20:16

i am doing Oldham half marathon on sunday    very hilly   

15/10/2012 at 20:22
I am doing Gwent League XC on Sunday - very muddy
15/10/2012 at 20:47
Jez - just like you a solo runner. Agree with you on number and chip pick up but believe reason is before when they sent them out people just parked on Grove Green and residents got annoyed. Your 1/2 PB was not set at Lydd or Paddock Wood by any chance. I use the Pilgrims Way a lot for training but tend to run up Boxley and run towards Hollingbourne and then chose which hill to come down depending on distance I am doing
15/10/2012 at 22:25
Pb was Tun Wells which i've never found to be the easiest course tbh!
Have done 1-37 at Paddock and 1-38 at Lydd.
Can recommend Bedford on 9/12 as a good event, have 1-36 that too, not sure if you've run that before?
How I'll ever find the elusive 1 or 6 mins for 1-35 or 1-30 remains a mystery!
Apart from using parts of Maidstone course I regularly take in parts of BB hill down to Wouldham and Burham, and also Bredhurst towards Hartlip and Farthing Corner towards Upchurch A2.
Once braved Detling hill and thru the country roads back to Bredhurst but that was madness!
Happy to meet up for a weekend jog if diaries fit?
16/10/2012 at 11:50

Jez - that is some PB at TW that course has some good hills at 7-8 miles never bettered 1:42 there. No not run Bedford and as got Luton marathon on 18 Nov I am going to have a break till Christmas after that as been training all year with Manchester Marathon then Luton. My aim is 1:35 for Half but will need to put some serious work in one year for that and try for it at Lydd/Paddock Wood. Totally agree with madness on Detling Hill etc. my wife does not run but does do long hikes so we have used the Detling Hill and beyond and round to Hucking and back round and some of the hills up there are steep.

Would be good to get out for a run some time - maybe after my Luton Marathon as have it all planned out for that. Will contact you via here later in year and we can get out for a run.

16/10/2012 at 17:00

here one for HeOw or anyone who`s interested in me 10k raceon sunday.

well done luverlylegs though for your race anyway, good effort.

good luck compo on sunday and jason d

16/10/2012 at 22:21

Your report on Chester make me feel slightly better - it took me a ridiculous amount of time for the second half and I felt very demoralised at the finish.  I will feel embarrassed to wear the top outside the house. And I thought the Chester course hilly, well full of long drags!

Well a lesson learnt - much more time is needed on longer runs quite clearly for me. However for you as well as me a return visit to the distance is needed!

16/10/2012 at 22:58

Andy, you've got to give old eyes a fighting chance in a blog that length. Paragraphs next time....please???

16/10/2012 at 23:38
Claire,Mohave you seen your self on the you tube video of Chester marathon? At about 9 minutes 20, you go steaming by in your tutu!
16/10/2012 at 23:48
GazOC I put paragraphs in when I typed it but for some fairly annoying reason they havent happened. Eg the bold Saturday and sunday should of been subtitles.

I need to figure out why they never worked. still got some learning to do there.
17/10/2012 at 09:42

i've got Bham half marathon this sunday, really looking forward to it ( providing my bad back heals itself after pulling it yesterday ) 

Then another marathon a couple of weeks later, I cant wait!! I appear to have got this running lark bug quite bad now!!!!

and I still dont think Chester was flat!!!! 

17/10/2012 at 20:05

andy- good read and good 10k time

Medals - best of luck for the weekend

6.4m for me tonight. Legs are feeling better after massage yesterday, but piriformis stretches coming up in a bit. Looking at the perceived effort on a slow recovery run, it's pretty clear that I'm not over Chester yet.... Not going to be doing the planned Gwent League cross country this weekend- like I say, I'm not ready to race and it's not worth the risk

On a positive, got my Welsh Champs silver medal through the post today for Chester marathon

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 20:07
17/10/2012 at 20:46
Well done Jason D. A very well deserved medal that. Bloody well done matey.
Know what you mean on the recovery thing though. I was feeling loads better the morning of flintshire but am sore again now so just did 6 flat miles at tonight at 8:30pace. It just patience I suppose.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.