Chicago Marathon 2012

81 to 92 of 92 messages
27/09/2012 at 14:16

Some official marathon wear has to be purchased, even if it is over-priced.

Felixa - I'm planning to walk down to the start but I am in the Best Western River North so may look to see if there is a shuttle bus going down.

Eggyh73, I was in Berlin last year and also experienced the slow gate!

My breakfast plan is taking my own porridge pot which you just add water to so can have in my room and energy bar.

27/09/2012 at 14:29

David, that would be the gate with seemed like a thousand or so folk coming down from the U-Bahn station to what was a small gate manned by two people! Not helped by the families of the runners also trying to get up to the entrance to see them off.

I'll be sticking to my long run breakfast of peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Pretty sure I'll be able to source those ingredients in Chicago.

01/10/2012 at 10:58

Less than a week to go.

Just a couple of short gentle runs for me this week. I looked at the weather forecast for Chicago and it looks like it'll be a cool one for us this weekend. I hope that it's accurate as those conditions will be good for me.

01/10/2012 at 22:27

Itching to get on the plane and get out there, roll on Thursday. It does look like it turns cooler in Chicago for the weekend.

Looking forward to wearing my Nike Great Britain t-shirt, have ironed on my name and was tempted to iron on the Ryder Cup score on the back!

01/10/2012 at 23:02

I fly out on Thursday too, can't wait. I've only got one short run to do here and then the next time I run it'll be an easy jog in Chicago to loosen up the legs before race day.

I can't believe it's almost here, seems like an age since I started planning for this one last December.

02/10/2012 at 19:32
Thought I'd say good luck to everyone before you all fly off in the next day or two. I hope the forecast is right and it stays cool. My bag is packed even though I don't set off until Friday! Have fun and I look forward to hearing race day stories next week
02/10/2012 at 19:36

Good luck everyone. I hope everyone has a good trip out and an even better day come Sunday. If you see some tall Scottish bloke stuffing his face with food it's probably me!!

02/10/2012 at 22:14

Yep, hope everyone has a great trip and all goes well in the race. Will be looking out for fellow Brits out on course.

08/10/2012 at 04:05

I hope everyone was as happy as Kebede looked.  He was really bouncing around after his finish and new course record (worth an extra $10,000 US)

08/10/2012 at 14:00
Hi everyone, hope you all had a good race. I am very pleased to report a new PB by over 22 minutes. I finished in 4.17 and even managed a negative split, so I can't be unhappy with that! I was so cold at the start I wore hat, gloves, arm sleeves (made from Virgin Atlantic socks) and throw away jumper! I ditched the gloves at mile 13 but the hat stayed on until 20 miles! Hat a great time, even managed to "high five" Elvis! Time for some sightseeing now, think the Willis Tower is on the agenda today
09/10/2012 at 17:15

Hi all,

Back from Chicago today a happy chappy, achieved a new PB - 3 hours 11 minutes 29 seconds. So need to start saving as Boston qualifying time achieved!

Loved Chicago and the course was great and the supporters and volunteers were something else.

09/10/2012 at 21:04
Well done all. I managed to get around in 4:04:31, which i'm happy with considering I ran with a groin injury.

I'm in New York now. I had a great time in Chicago. Great event in a great city.

Well done on those PB's.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 92 of 92 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.