Chicago marathon 2014

61 to 78 of 78 messages
17/08/2014 at 19:40
Oucho!!!!! Very windy so had loooooong run on dreadmill today. Had to press the slow down button a few times

Got my chicago bulls ticket for monday night game. 28$ including booking and e-ticket fee. Could be a bit cheaper if there are a few of you going from vivid seats. Wonder if michael jordan fancies making a comeback
18/08/2014 at 22:36

Over halfway through training, legs are getting a bit heavy. Luckily not been too badly effected by the weather. Chicago pizza and Italian beef sandwich is keeping me motivated. Saw them both on man vs food! I'm flying to New York Monday so will miss the game but hoping to watch the bears play after the marathon. I know they are away but I reckon it will be good to watch it in a bar with all the locals.

20/08/2014 at 19:44
Noo Yoik Noo Yoik sounds good. How long are you going there for? I was going to go there next year after Washington. I was going to take mum and dad to Chicago but they had other ideas and thought they would just gatecrash marine corps instead. Mum has always wanted to go to noo yoik but dad has never taken her up on it. She then slipped 'how far from washington is noo yoik' as if she didn't know so it looks like i am taking them there too. Better start saving my pennies now!!!!

I think most folk enjoy the sight of a few bears (sp?) after a marathon!!!!

My legs are getting worse. If the point of marathon training is to run on knackered legs day after day what I'm doing must be golden stuff. Either that or it could just be junk miles that are of no great benefit at all. Time will tell which of those possibilities is right :-/
20/08/2014 at 21:44
I meant bears.....honest! It sounds like your mum knows exactly what she is up to. We are going for 4 nights. I'm hoping to put on at last a stone in weight, anything less will be a failure.
20/08/2014 at 22:36

Sounds like a good plan to have 4 nights there and hopefully get a weekend to recover from one of the world's least relaxing holidays in history.  Sightsee until you drop and marathon running isn't normally all that conducive to recharging the batteries!!!!

I gave up on main courses and started eating starters in Noo Yoik Noo Yoik when I went.  I love my puddings and felt I was missing out on them as I had no room after the biggest portions I'd ever seen!!!!!

21/08/2014 at 17:18

I have just had a look to see if there is any sport in NY I can get to see, I got jealous of your Bulls tickets.  Blackhawks are playing on Saturday night before the marathon but barely any tickets left and they are $200+ each.  By the time it starts I will be falling asleep. NY Knicks are playing at home on the Monday night and tickets seem a similar price to what you have paid.  I assume it's because they are pre season games. The NY Rangers and NY Islanders are playing each other the following night which I assume could be quite feisty being local teams (I have no clue about NHL).  Tickets are not out yet so not sure how much $$$.  Also, what is it with the US, it's fixtures...not schedule!

28/08/2014 at 00:08

Hi Jon and any other lurkers out there that are reading but not speaking.......you know who you are

Sorry I went missing myself again.  Been busy busy busy!!!!!  Training has actually taken a turn for the better this week,  Had 20 and a bit miles I think (my garmin cut out at about 9 miles so I think it was about 20) in god knows what time but I managed to get all the way out and all the way home without walking or dying so it had to be OK.  10 miles last night at the most sensible pace I've ran for a while compared to the slugglish stuff I've been churning out recently and an OK 6 miler tonight.  This might yet come together in 6 or so weeks time...........

Hope your ticket search went well for Madison square garden.  As a ball park figure I got a ticket for the blackhawks from ticketcity for 68$ for the Wednesday night game to help you work out if what is on offer is expensive enough.  I actually went to see the rangers and the islanders when I was in Noo Yoik Noo Yoik and the Garden was half empty.  It was maybe an odd night as it was election night and I wandered to Time Square afterwards as Obama became the 1st black American president which was a pretty cool place to be but it certainly wasn't packed to the rafters as you would expect a local derby to be so don't spend too much.

Here's another sightseeing tip for any of you out there.  I was doing my homework at the weekend and found this.  5 major attractions for 94$.  Willis Building is 40$ for starters and if you go to 3, 4 or all 5 of the things that are on offer you will be quids in.

http://www.citypass.com/Chicago

I'm not overly bothered by the aquarium or the art gallery (the planetarium is much more up my street) and if I'm going up the Willis building I can't see the point of going up the John Hancock too and would rather go to the science museum anyway.

I've also booked a leg saving bit of fun for myself on the Saturday.  I don't want to ruin my legs walking too much but equally well don't want to waste a day of my holiday in my hotel room so I have booked an Al Capone Gangster Tour.  2 hours on a bus tour hearing about crime and gorey murders sounds like a fun way to do something but not do something and see the famous bits of Chicago which the museums don't tell you about!!!!!!

http://www.gangstertour.com/

Throw in a tour of Soldier Field and Wrigley Field, my 5 thingy pass, gangster tour, basketball and icehockey tickets and a 7 day underground ticket and I should be all in for my sightseeing for about £200 which and £1400 in total for that plus hotel, flights and race entry which sounds like pretty good value especially seeing the sports tours companies wanted £1700+ for a 3 night trip,  I'm really looking forward to this now

28/08/2014 at 13:06

Did a 24 miles Saturday morning( 3.01) training starting to come together.

Easy week this week followed by a 56 mile ultra on the 06/09/14 which should set me up nicely for Chicago

Like the look of the Gangster tour, when we did New York we stayed in New Jersey for the first night and our host took us in the Sopranos diner from the last episode

29/08/2014 at 19:55

That's quite an extreme long training run Jonah.  How is the midlife crisis going?  Most folk only start running ultras when they are having a midlife crisis lol

I got an e-mail today and it said I am in pen B.  Pen A must be huge I didn't think I would be that far forward for a run with 45000 people in it.

29/08/2014 at 22:11

Canigga - it's part of a plan I follow off P & F 

Bit old for mid life crisis, I will be a week short of my 52nd birthday before Chicago

But I did run my first ultra about 10 years ago, the race next week will be the 7th time for me.

I'm in pen A 

30/08/2014 at 13:38

Another one for Pen B here as well.

And C33, don’t knock the ultras, they are amazingly good fun and camaraderie between runners is amazing. Good luck for yours jonah8 on the 6th. Sounds like your training has been going well.

30/08/2014 at 13:51
I will take your words for it. Just look long and miserable to me!!!!!!
30/08/2014 at 18:15

C33 you should try one believe it or not they are easier than a marathon

another 17 done this morning

Waiting to hear from tokyo now to see if I got in, then all the majors done so I can concentrate more on ultras.

best of luck with the rest of your training

11/09/2014 at 21:12
4 weeks today and I will be in Chicago!!!!!!!!!

How is is going folks?
11/09/2014 at 21:36

Finished 3rd overall in 10.18, legs suffering now though.

Doing 20 mile on saturday morning then off to Turkey on Monday for a well earned rest

really looking forward to Chicago now

11/09/2014 at 21:47
Well done jonah that was brilliant. You get about a bit. 2 holidays in one month. If i get two weekends off i count my lucky stars.

Training was going well but have had a bit of a sore thigh for last couple of runs. Hopefully just a bit of stiffness. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I did tokyo in january and it was great. Bit of a strange race infact bit of a strange city but a fantastic running trip and holiday. Its a bit like new york in tokyo but in a strange foreign language. I was supposed to have a grown up holiday this year after doing the goofy challenge last year then spent two days at tokyo disney. I really should grow up some day
11/09/2014 at 21:55

I will find out on the 25th if I've got in Tokyo,fingers crossed.

15/09/2014 at 21:09
Right this weekend's run was a struggle. I'm trying to convince myself that that a long run where you are off it from the word go, have a chunder in a hedge after 15 miles and somehow get through it is 'character building!!!!'

Getting out the car after a drive to the football was probably as tough as the run. Good job my mate didn't get seats at the back of the stand!!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 78 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.