Christian Running Groups

1 to 20 of 31 messages
21/10/2002 at 12:37
Dear All,
Does anyone know of any Christian running groups in the U.K?
22/10/2002 at 12:29
Hi Mike,

I posted a message on the forum some weeks ago about Saturday races which offered an encouraging amount of comments.

I presume you are a Christian by your enquiry. I am a Christian too. I do not know of any running groups but I know of an organisation called Christian in Sports who might be able to provide more information. Do you by any chance live in Bedfordshire (Harpenden/Redbourn/Luton)area, maybe we can form one ( it has to start somewhere!)
22/10/2002 at 13:18
Hello Brethren

Thanks for starting this thread Mike. I would certainly like to meet and train with more Christian runners. We ought to look into starting such a group as Neyo suggests. Lets see how many responses the thread gets...

H-R
22/10/2002 at 13:25
neyo
in case you didn't see it in the old thread

the Wolverton 5m is on Saturday 23 November
24/10/2002 at 16:31
Many thanks guys for the response. I am the minister of the evangelical church between Mumbles and Swansea. Setting up some kind of Christian runners group would be a great idea. How should we go about it?
27/10/2002 at 22:32
Hi All
I am Christian living in Brussels. Many of my church - St Pauls Tervuren - will run the 20k in Brussels in May. I suppose you could say we are a Christian running group - but just for one race a year!
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
28/10/2002 at 07:36
Hello,

I am another Christian Runner, I get great support from all the congregation at my church. I love the Idea of a Christian running group.

I always think back to the example of Eric Liddel, a man who ran for the Glory of God. I am not sure if my efforts, Glorify God, but they are the best I can do and I am sure that is what He wants.

God Bless you all
28/10/2002 at 08:44
Hi guys. Priest in Surrey. I think all my running shows about God is that God has a sense of humour!

Just a serious thought - I worry a bit about 'clubs' with one commonality (running) looking for a second one (faith). Isn't it more important that we integrate with others, rather than stick together?
29/10/2002 at 05:59
Sassie - good thought, it is important to integrate - few of us would be Christians today without Christian friends who spent time with us.

Buuuuttt...like H-R I would love to train/run with other Christians too. Its fun to be together.

Also to chat - Saturday races was a good thread, (provoked a lot of reaction too from everyone). Maybe there are Christian charities/initiatives we can support through sponsorship etc that you know.

Can I have my cake and eat it?? (Not of course that as a runner I would eat cake :))
29/10/2002 at 16:33
Hi, I'm new to this site but I'm a Christian runner too!! Fab to know there are more out there. I'm based in London - if you do meet up for a run in that vicinity, that would be fantastic!
29/10/2002 at 17:19
I too am based in london so any details anyone has would be great
27/05/2006 at 14:23
hie anyone

just saw this old thread and thought maybe it needs to be rivived. Any running christian out there?? Met really nice running christian from USA while doing the great wall of china marathon, hence thought UK need something similar

27/05/2006 at 15:42
The majority of our church will be at the Harvel 5 - half of us racing, the other half spectating. That's a Sat pm race.

This time of year is good for racing with the 2 May bank holidays. We did Hildenborough on the first one and are doing Hatfield Broad Oak on this one.

We'll take a Sunday off for "big deal" races, but not many.

There is some talk at church of setting up a running club - church run, but open to all. It may happen, it may not.
27/05/2006 at 15:56
Hi all. Yes, let's get the thread going again.

Must "dash"... got some sermon preparation to do for tomorrow!

SBS
Duck Girl    pirate
27/05/2006 at 16:29
I think Sassie's earlier point is a good one, that it's a better idea to 'mix' than to only spend time with other Christians. An online chat / club could be a useful way to get the best of both worlds.

I've started going to a friend's church which has its main service in the evening, on days when i can't make it to Meeting for Worship [Quaker] in the mornings 'cos of races. This has actually been really interesting and helpful to me, in terms of meeting more people and being exposed to a wider range of ideas.
30/05/2006 at 22:25
Adding my name to the list (ordinand in Herts), and about to suggest to some folks in my church that they come out running with me. Not quite what you had in mind when you started this thread :-)

btw, I'm in the M1 area, within easy reach of Redbourn (used to do reps at Hemel with Nick and some other guys from here), and one of my colleagues is an ordinand at a church in Geneva - will ask her next weekend if she knows Swiss Bobby...
30/05/2006 at 22:28
also btw...

Dublin Mara is usually on a Monday
20/06/2006 at 22:45
What about Agnostics, with Christian spouses?
20/06/2006 at 23:00
big david

what are you talking about
20/06/2006 at 23:21
Well Mrs Big D is a member of ourlocal Baptist Church.
I am an agnostic, but I sing in one of the groups once a month in the morning. Which means I sometimes have to choose between racing or singing.

I am trying to convert the church members to r*nning, but it is an uphill struggle.

Mrs BD has been known to jog occasionally.

I was interested to learn of the existance of this thread, as religion is something I have not seen mentioned much on the forum.
1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.