Claire House Excalibur Marathon

21 to 40 of 149 messages
25/02/2012 at 21:25

Ive got an OS map of the area and got a compass.   Been a long time since I have done any poroper navigation so will get them out tomorrow for a brush up.   

Really do not know what to expect with this so it should be fun/

25/02/2012 at 21:42
JP_lost wrote (see)
Thanks to everyone for the replys I have another question, i notice you mention mud. Those that have recced the route whats your advice on shoes? Thanks
 Inov8 Mudroc for me but that's all I ever wear. A lot of the route is on pretty good tracks, there's too much road for my liking and it's all fire track through the forest so If it's dry(ish) you'll probably get away with trail shoes. There are a few sections where it gets a bit muddy but you need to weigh the whole thing up.
25/02/2012 at 22:32
Are Mudroc ok?   I have heard lots of people complain about blisters.
26/02/2012 at 00:41
I wear a pair of asics trail runners and found they gave me plenty of grip even in muddy conditions, but my feet did get a bit wet.

It mite not be muddy on the day, it will depend what the weather is like in the days leading up to the event and on the day
26/02/2012 at 07:26
spen71 wrote (see)
Are Mudroc ok?   I have heard lots of people complain about blisters.
I've never had issues but I know some people did in the early days of Inov8 (2005/6). I don't know anyone who has issues with them now.
26/02/2012 at 10:46
Thanks.   What times are people looking at?  Anyone fancy a running partner?
27/02/2012 at 15:55
Hello everyone.

I'm Dan. I have taken over from Andy Bush as the race organiser.
Over the last week i have been emailing all you runners, with the race information, registration times etc.

I have however had a few emails bounce back, so am in the process of contacting any of the address that have bounced.

If you can all check your inbox's, spam or junk folders you should have received an email from me, with links to the route map, check points and a sponsor form.

Some of you may have received the message 2 or 3 times now, so I apologise for repeating the message but it would be amazing if you could print off a sponsor form and just pass it around work/family. If all of our runners raised £50 we would be looking at over £12,000, which equates to the cost of keeping a family in the hospice for one year. Which really makes a difference to our families lives!

If you haven't received your email, please message me on dant@claire-house.org.uk or find the following links:

Route Map: http://bit.ly/zKEqnM
Check Points: http://bit.ly/xUNMwk
Sponsor Form: http://bit.ly/wNrHKj

Really looking forward to race day. Wish you all the best with the last few weeks of training!

PS if you know of anyone yet to register, please can you request they do so before the 16th March as entries will be closing!

Cheers

Dan Thomas
Event Fundraiser
0151 343 0883
27/02/2012 at 16:59

So there's a question then, assuming everyone's seen the latest e-mail......,

Walking or running start (0800 or 0930)?

I think I'd like to have the company of the walkers on the later stages of the run rather than just leave them all at the start and not see them for the rest of the day.

27/02/2012 at 17:33
I'm going to start with the runners at the later time I think. Would have to eat around 5am if I started the earlier time and I don't fancy that.
28/02/2012 at 23:19

Hi all,

I just wonder what sort of fitness level do you require for this event? I am tempted to take part, but i am a regular road runner and a complete novis to trail and fell running, do you think i can handle this? Also do you think it is a good idea to do this event 4 weeks before London marathon?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

29/02/2012 at 06:30

Hello Chewster,

Isn't it three weeks before London?

It's a very different proposition with the combination of conditions underfoot and all the climb.  I don't hink it's a good idea. Having said that, someone in my club is doing both.

29/02/2012 at 12:11
Ok, I'm in, should be a nice treat after the flatness of Blackpool @Clwydian, don't suppose you could DM me the GPX route too could you?!
29/02/2012 at 12:52
Hey there Clwydian,
Yes I'm going for the 9:30 start. More time for breakfast,and I'd rather finish when there are more people about.

Please could I have the route too.Thank you

29/02/2012 at 16:19
JP_lost wrote (see)
 Please could I have the route too.Thank you
Of course but you'l have to enable private messages or send me one with an e-mail address.

ben wittenberg wrote (see)
Ok, I'm in, should be a nice treat after the flatness of Blackpool @Clwydian, don't suppose you could DM me the GPX route too could you?!

Same for you Ben.
29/02/2012 at 20:27
Hi all, glad i found this thread! Myself and my friend panad are running this as a team. We've ran the whole course in two sections it is an amazing route very challenging!! I ran it in my Brooks GTX they were great on all the downward bits. Just got to do it now in one go!!! Hoping to get another run in around course before the 31st
29/02/2012 at 20:54

evening!

yep as TR40 said we've done a recce in two sections, not so sure my legs are looking forward to doing it all in one go, but I am

29/02/2012 at 21:00
Fancy seeing you here
02/03/2012 at 23:06
Hi all,

I've just plotted this route into mem map and it's giving me a total elevation gain of 6000 feet. Just wondering what the GPX route shows. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Edited: 02/03/2012 at 23:07
03/03/2012 at 07:30

In feet - 5130

One error in the plot adds I about  30 I think.

It's definitely hilly and a bit deceptive to think of the whole number as the real climbs don't come until the second half of the route after the Kinmel Arms (CP7). From that point on you are either climbing or descending quite steeply.

4 weeks to go!

I off to do a big chunk of it now.

03/03/2012 at 11:35

Thanks Clwydian,

Yes you are right, it is three weeks away from London marathon. I will stick to road running for this time. I hope they will organise it again for next year.

Good luck to you all. I would be very interested to read any feedback from the race.

21 to 40 of 149 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.