Clowne half 2013

Hilly

41 to 42 of 42 messages
25/11/2013 at 19:24

Hi all,

Well done iluvstaffies & stilldreaming, hope everything's ok Cake.

That is a lovely course, nothing too steep up or down, just gently undulating. Definitely my type of course, don't like it too flat. 

Well, I made sure I was absolutely the last person to cross the start with the intention of remaining at the back til halfway and then seeing how everything was going. 

That lasted for the first 50 yards........On reflection I should have stuck to plan A. 

Didn't take Mr Garmin on the basis that I didn't want a time. Therefore I didn't need to know what the time was. That didn't work either, that little devil on my shoulder telling me I was either going too fast or too slow ( There wasn't supposed to be a thing as too slow yesterday).

The result of which was the little kick just before the 3 mile board I felt a couple of twinges. Within a quarter of a mile it was painful with every step. I tried to figure out a pace/gait where it didn't hurt, failed. I then tried figuring out a pace/gait where it hurt the least, kinda succeeded. As the race went on I had to keep changing stride length, how I was landing, the angle of my foot etc until about 10m when I figured out that if I ran with my foot pointing out at 45 degrees, with my toes curled up, landing hard on the back of my heel going forward until my knee was above my toes then lifting my leg and letting myself fall forward to be caught by my good leg I could just about manage it.

So why didn't it cross my mind to actually stop?! 

Ah well. Wouldn't have had some lovely flapjack, wouldn't have met Stilldreaming, wouldn't have had a good chat with a Kelveston guy, wouldn't have seen all the smiling encouraging marshals, wouldn't have seen those locals standing around to cheer the runners as they went by, wouldn't have witnessed all the great organisation.

Sorry not to have seen any others from here, next time. 

26/11/2013 at 07:27

Chimney - did see you limping across car park at end of race and wondered what had happened   Thanks for support and flapjack, and here's to a speedy recovery (and the patience to get there!).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 42 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.