Coasters 2011 LEJOG Zone C - North England

the county peaks to be conquered

81 to 95 of 95 messages
17/12/2010 at 15:30
philip teece wrote (see)
good news stu john bulmer is up for it txt him earlier today said he is getting to check out the zone c and will look into doing some routes for our area any idea where the exchange points will be for the area covering burnhope seat nice to see our ng back on the thread hope your feeling good and hope to see you maybe on one of the legs somewhere .stu can u add paul h gary c mick g john  g and john b to your list of runners they are lookin forward to the event any rough idea when baz will be arriving into county durham

Excellent news Philip Will add the folk now too  Consider yourselves plopped on -lol

No idea when excatly Baz will arrive. I suspect around August but that is a wid guess. I hope that we can be clearer in a month or so.

STU - wrote (see)
woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip T

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

Andy B99

Nurse Gladys

John B

Paul H

Gary C

Mick G

John G

plopped you on anyway Glad We do have a designated mapping thread for those who like a technical fix every so often Saves making an atlas of this thread.
Edited: 17/12/2010 at 15:40
17/12/2010 at 15:45
we are doing better for folk than anybody so far More people focussed than map focussed -that is the trick
17/12/2010 at 15:51
STU - wrote (see)

woody's link in a pic  (child's play) didn't plop high points on but they are on this route

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/normap.bmp

Rough Route

For your technical tantalizing titillation -we have this

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=169152&last=1&V=7&SP=

Edited: 17/12/2010 at 16:00
17/12/2010 at 21:33

Stu, I'm a bit of a luddite, can't seem to get onto any mapping sites to look at the rough route of Barry the baton as he comes through our patch. All I can get is a thick blue line passing somewhere to the north of Leeds and up into the dales...

Can you help? I know it's early days, but it would be nice to get a closer look at the sort-of-intended route.

17/12/2010 at 21:41

Mick -I am with you in the luddite club. Woody did the guide but it is only a guide. I am not a mappy peop at all but someone will be involved in sorting that bit.

As you say, early days. We do need a mapper for this zone,though. Most zones are in the "very rough" stage.

Edited: 17/12/2010 at 21:43
17/12/2010 at 21:47

Hi Mick

The route hasn't been mapped proper yet as the route has not been decided. Below is a list of the Tops we must visit, the route is up to us all, You can decide which way you would like to go for the Top or  Tops you'd like to visit. Hope this helps or have I made it as clear as mud LOL  

Zone C

25    Staffordshire    520    Cheeks Hill
18    Derbyshire    636    Kinder Scout
21    Cheshire    582    Black Hill
50    Lincolnshire, Parts of Lindsey    168    Normanby Top, The Wolds
42    Yorkshire, East Riding    246    Bishop Wilton Wold
14    Yorkshire, West Riding    736    Whernside
9    Lancashire    803    Coniston Old Man
2    Cumberland    978    Scafell Pike
3    Westmorland    950    Helvellyn
10    Yorkshire, North Riding    788    Mickle Fell
13    Durham    746    Burnhope Seat
8    Northumberland    815    Cheviot !The Cheviot

17/12/2010 at 21:56

mm -think it is useful for folk to look and consider roads between peaks (the flatter bits)  unless we get a bus between them -lol We have to use us real brains really

who is/are co-ord/s?

Edited: 17/12/2010 at 22:12
17/12/2010 at 22:14

Mmmm - however . . . often theres a 'flatter' or contouring  off-road alternative - eg ridges, long distance paths etc, which have the added benefit of  being more direct and with more interesting things to feast your eyes on than Tarmac. .

PS Stu if you need a definition of 'contour' or 'ridge' then please pop along to the mappers haven

Keep it fun

17/12/2010 at 22:18

lol -I aint that far behind -used maps and that 36 years ago as an air cadet Did do some of the Cleveland way too with help of paper map and signs  Good for me in them days. It is the puter stuff that scares me

taking the wee wee out of us Social Scientists -I dunno

Edited: 17/12/2010 at 22:23
17/12/2010 at 22:21
Plus many rural roads are single track and not the best or safest to run on. I've no doubt in places roads will be the better option but I think it should be up to each individual to decide.
17/12/2010 at 22:25

Defo let the folks  do the exactifying of the rough route.  They will know area best and maps don't always tell you the dangers. It may mean expanding the distance we have to cover but safety must come first.

A look at all access points to high points is crucial. Some roads or tracks up may be eroded or with limited access.

Edited: 18/12/2010 at 06:57
18/12/2010 at 09:12

ssshhh - i am not supposed to know anything about contours, ridges, vertical intervals, convexed, concaved (whoops!) let alone accessibility issues

I am good old, arty farty , pie in the sky  Stu, the batty old creator and promoter of this lunacy. The one that talks about coasters spirit and philosophy and all that hairy fairy stuff   I want you to do daft things like love Barry and cheer Rusty Rusk for taking Barry for 78 miles in dreadful conditions.

Edited: 18/12/2010 at 09:21
18/12/2010 at 09:14
STU - wrote (see)
woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

so far we have

woody

Mike

Mick w

Philip T

Clare

Stu

Baz Cuck

Minni

Andy B99

Nurse Gladys

John B

Paul H

Gary C

Mick G

John G

19/12/2010 at 09:59

I am sorry folks, I have just been going through the motions of supporting this event. To me it is not a coasters event as it lacks a lot of what was special in 2010. I will not promote and have poste more detail on the main thread

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=1&UTN=167607&last=1&V=7&SP=

this event may happen but I really do not want it to hold the coasters name for many reasons. I hope you good guys and gals will understand. They can call this something else and you can decide whetheryou want to be part of it.

If you miss Barry please book him on the Barry's Diary thread

all the best

Stu

20/12/2010 at 12:41
For those that fancy a bit of safe off-road running, what about canal towpaths? The Leeds - Liverpool gets up towards Settle way fairly painlessly, 'tis but a hop and a skip from there to 3 Peaks country (and therefore good ol' Whernside, our county top.)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 95 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.