Coasting round Britain - Swansea to Aberystwyth

Thread for talking to myself...

1 to 20 of 562 messages
15/12/2009 at 14:24

...unless somebody else volunteers to do some of it!

If you're not up to speed, this is for the relay round the coast of Britain that Hoose has set up over on 'General'. The idea is that a group of people volunteer to cover a stretch of coast, doing maybe 20 -40 miles each. We can't know exact dates till the baton approaches, which will be late for us, since it's starting in Blackpool in about April and travelling clockwise. Anyone in Wales/ anyone who would like to travel to one of the most beautiful stretches of coast in Britain and run a bit? No minimum distance. No speed requirement. At the moment I'm the only person who's put their name in the ring for the Swansea to Aber stretch, but sadly I'm not a good enough runner to do it all. Any takers?

15/12/2009 at 14:28

great sarah

dont worry, i know that there are some good runners around there so you will not have to do it all-lol

good luck 

15/12/2009 at 20:51
Not along stretch I know but I will do Swansea to Llanelli (13miles) or probably even Swansea to Kidwelly  (via Llanelli) (22 miles) dependant on dates etc.
15/12/2009 at 22:09

I can perhaps do a bit round Swansea bay. Perhaps SA1 to Caswell or somehting.

16/12/2009 at 05:06

Hi,

the date we are likely to leave Blackpool is the 2nd May 2010 and pretty soon we will be able to give reasonable prediction of when Barry is likely to reach you. Even if peops are unsure due to time, please remember Barry is flexible. If nobody can take him on a certain day, keep him until you can or re-arrange to suit you. It is not about how fast, just about doing it.

hope this puts minds at rest a bit.

take care

x

16/12/2009 at 08:17
Can do some of the strech around the Pembs coast
16/12/2009 at 10:24

Thanks BRT, Kev and Welsh Alex. When I get round to it, I'll draw up a list of stretches that people can put their names to. I no longer live in west Wales (currently based in Leicestershire), but I seem to find myself back there fairly often. I think much of this area is covered by the Pembrokeshire coastal path, which should be wonderful to run along, but there will be a few bits between Cardigan and Aber that might need some imaginative route planning. I think we should stick to the coast as closely as (safely) possible - so going out onto each head and peninsula where we can. I'm quite excited about this - a new thing for 2010. Do spread the word!

re dates - when it happens we'll need to bear in mind that some people can be more flexible on dates than others - e.g. weekday running won't be possible for everyone. So there might be some re-allocation of stretches to suit availability later on.

16/12/2009 at 13:14

Amroth to Pottit sands is the costal path which takes you as far as Cardigan.

Happy to do any of this just not the lot it's 186 miles

16/12/2009 at 15:40

I'm in Swansea so happy to do anything around that area, and could possibly do weekday running too.

Brilliant idea!

16/12/2009 at 20:59

I'd like to do this too.  Like Fin I'm based in Swansea so round there would be most convenient, but I don't mind driving somewhere to run as it'll give me the chance to see some different scenary.  Have run round most of Gower (not in one go), using this route.

16/12/2009 at 21:30

What an unruly bunch you are.

I haven't the first idea of where any of you are, what comes where or how many miles.

http://sites.google.com/site/roundthecoastgreatbritainrun/home/swansea-to-aberystwyth?pageMoved=Home

Edited: 16/12/2009 at 21:36
17/12/2009 at 10:25

Wow. Thanks for that Bikermouse. Looks like we're getting pretty well set up for the Swansea end. Since I'm travelling from afar anyway I can be fairly flexible about which stretch I do, although I have a slight preference for some of the Pembrokeshire coast. We could still do with a few volunteers for the Cardigan to Aberystwyth part, so if you know anyone who runs round there, please alert them to the opportunity to run some of it carrying a stick.

Fin and Sebby - great to have you with us 

18/12/2009 at 08:17
Am training for the Lakeland 100 so im up for a numberof legs and can fit in around people. I live in swansea and am a teacher so could also run some weekdays after school. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up to train on any of the legs. Would be good to have company
18/12/2009 at 13:40
voting for startdate ends 9pm tonight
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

18/12/2009 at 15:19
Depending on time of year, might be able to do some of stretch along Carmarthenshire?Pembrokeshire coastline. Could maybe pick up from Running Kev in Kidwelly-??
Edited: 22/12/2009 at 21:58
22/12/2009 at 23:34
hi im up for any amount or all of the swansea aber wrist watch route.
23/12/2009 at 09:49

Thanks everyone. I'm not on here much at the moment because of seasonal distractions, but I'll get the maps out and try to sort our routes into day long sections of about 40 miles. Nobody has to run 40 miles of hilly coast on their own unless they want to - I'm thinking that we'll prbably have two or three people a day to cover it all  - but no reason why we shouldn't have 8 people doing 5 miles each if we have lots of volunteers. Happy christmas everyone.

Zoffy - you're not volunteering to run the whole of the way from Swansea to Aber, are you?

23/12/2009 at 12:11

I will do a 10mile slot around the Llanelli area, perhaps a bit more if later in the year.

23/12/2009 at 19:08
yes i think i could take time off and run the whole leg if need be.
23/12/2009 at 20:42
I'm in Pembrokeshire and could do 15 miles on Coast Path - milford haven and Dale peninsula
1 to 20 of 562 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.