Cologne Marathon, 14th October 2012.

Roll up! Roll up! Anyone else going/gone over for this one?

41 to 46 of 46 messages
08/10/2012 at 08:17

Hi Neil,

I'm looking forward to cologne! ran a half yesterday and felt OK but my quad is really tight at the moment so I need to keep an eye on that. Well done on the race win!

Does anyone know when the expo closes on Saturday? Is it 4pm like last year?

08/10/2012 at 09:38

Hi Emmy, Neil,

Great to hear from you guys.  According to the website, the expo is open until 7 on Saturday.  This is my first Cologne run, so I have no idea if this is entirely reliable, but I hope they stick to it.  I plan on going as early as possible to get the logistics out of the way and enjoy the city.

Neil, Big Congrats (or "big ups" as kids would say, er, about 20 years ago) on the 8-miler.  That's an unbelievable time for any age group.  What time are you hoping for in Cologne?

I ran a 10m training run yesterday and clocked in at 1:21, which is in line with what I hoped for at this point in training.  I also had an encouraging 6-miler earlier in the week at about a 7:45/mile pace (although with a slight net downhill).  Just trying to get in under 4 in Cologne.

A bit of soreness in left knee and right metatarsal, but this week is about a couple of speedwork runs (relatively speaking, in my case) and fairly short distances, so the body can rest a bit.  I feel ready.

Emmy, I hope you get some rest.  It's very impressive that you ran a half just a week before the big one and it sounds like you'll be just fine.

Now, we just have to avoid getting sick.  It's been a bit of a slalom doing it in London last couple of weeks as virtually everyone I know has had either a nasty stomach bug or a more mundane autumnal cold.

Good luck guys, and keep up the updates in the run-up!

Milos

08/10/2012 at 09:43

Hi Milos, I'll check with some friends who are running in Cologne as well. They're normally well informed! I've had both the autumnal cold AND the stomach flu Suprisingly it was the cold that took me out of the game (4 whole days...) but the flu just made me feel like I had nothing left in the tank.

Well done on the run! That sounds like some cracking times!

I'm just going to rest and stretch and go from there and see how I get on. I'm planning to run "as a pb" this year but after the quad incident - we'll have to see.

08/10/2012 at 11:18

Hi Emmy,

I would just rest the quad and maybe play it by ear, but not do too much the rest of the week.  It sounds like you have put plenty of mileage under your feet and it is probably most beneficial to make sure your body recovers.  I suspect our bodies are more vulnerable to germs with all the run fatigue.

I do hope the cold and flu are fully behind you.  I ran my one and only marathon two years ago on the first non-fever day after three days of fairly mild flu (not man flu, sadly) and it's just not great.  Adrenaline gets you by, but being healthy is really the biggest thing.

14/10/2012 at 17:35
Hi all, how did everyone get on today?

It was cold on route and I was cheering you guys at the marathon! I ended up with a PB for the half and really loved it!
14/10/2012 at 19:03
Well done, Emmy! I ran a PB of 3:51:54, which I am quite happy with. I think it warmed up a bit by marathon time so it was a more tolerable 11 degrees. How did you find the organisation and all the rest? And Neil, how did your day go?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 46 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.