Colyton 10K Race Report

12 messages
17/11/2002 at 14:55
Mission: To beat PB of 52.32
Running Background: 3rd 10k race, (previous Langport & Mersey Tunnel Liverpool) running since May 02. Gym on and off last 4 years.
Personal Background: Age 47, From Liverpool (Well the posh bit across tghe river, The Wirral !!!)
Weather: Could not be better, (I had packed me wellies after the rain yesterday !!)Fine dry morning no wind, brillant.
Preparation:
Before driving down I decided not to wear my running shoes & socks,as I thougt my socks might get...well you know nerves and all that.

Felt good , had me bagel and honey as suugested by Runners Mag for breakfast and Pasta for me Tea last night !!!

Course:2 1/4 laps - Worries about a hilly Devon course completely unfounded, apart from a small climb between 2 & 3K, and 6 & 7K an excellent flat course.

The best bit was getting my running socks wet !!!, getting to the start across farmers fields, bridges etc.Should have worn me wellies !!!

The Race: Bit of a narrow start!!! Reached 1k in 6.02.....panic I was aimimg for an average of 5.10. 2K 10.35..panic Have I gone too fast ? Reached 5k in 25.42...Yes on course, although legs a little heavy..7K 36.02..Hang in...8K ..41.11, suddenly my legs come back to life, the end is near, PB in sight, I am going past a few runners ( well 2 actually).The rest is history as they say PB of 51.11.

Summary
Perfect day, Mission accomplished, Excellent organisation & course, and all for a good cause. It does not get any better than this...well until the next PB!!!

17/11/2002 at 15:49
Great race report. Well done on your PB!
17/11/2002 at 16:14
Nice one Jammy, you should be well pleased, a PB is always a good feeling.
17/11/2002 at 20:28
Well done Jammy. This was my first run at Colyton too - I wished I'd had my Wellies too - mud on my smart Saucony running shoes, oh dear! and I hate narrow starts. I was surrounded by very tall people & couldn't see where I was going! Apart from that it was great - perfect weather, almost completely flat and I normally hate running two laps of the same course but I think starting part way round made a difference. I knocked an amazing 1 minute 20 seconds off my previous pb, and I still haven't recovered from the shock! Only downside is now I'll have to come back next year, get wet feet and see if I can do it a bit quicker......
17/11/2002 at 21:48
Well I also got a PB, as it was my first 10K!

Yet to find out what it was though, as web site not updated so far this evening.

If you want a faster time, rumour has it that the 'Last Chance 10K' in Exeter (SWRR)at the end of December is even flatter.
17/11/2002 at 21:54
Congratulations Dave. Did you make it to the pub with any other forumites? I was looking out for Happyslug, but didn't spot her. I had previously arranged to meet my family at the Blue Ball at Sidford (which I can now recommend if you're running in the area again) so I didn't hang around for long afterwards.
18/11/2002 at 22:33
Met Fiona & HS (& Mr HS) but we gave the Kingfisher a miss, perhaps next time.

I've now got my time - 43 - which was 2 min under target. I'm feeling quite happy with that as a first attempt, although I found pace hard to judge.

Fiona - I'm still feeling guilty that it wasn't as flat as I expected, but well done.
Great sprint finish, witnessed by HS & I!

'Last Chance' entry going off soon...
19/11/2002 at 20:37
Dave, results are now available on www.axevalleyrunners.org.UK. You then need to go events.
19/11/2002 at 23:47
hi all, didn't realise there was another thread started! thought it was a bit quiet! dave sorry we couldn't hang about, but nice to meet you and Fi!
last time I did this, my friend and I went down the road way by mistake, much drier, still once I got running didn't notice the soaked left foot! working on that sun. between Xmas and NY, which is I think where the last chance is, :-((
19/11/2002 at 23:50
jammy well done, wot a long way to travel!

Is anyone doing that deadly hemyock run? that hill is always a test of our new cars, once had a sierra estate which wouldn't do better than 2nd, and as for the austin ambassador...well...

still, given my secret yearning to do the Snowdon marathon,... (land of my fathers)so to speak! - perhaps I should make it my hill rep site!

Keep smiling all through winter ahead!!
Lin, catch you next time we cross paths!
20/11/2002 at 19:39
This was my first 10K and thoroughly enjoyed it - apart from the two hills! They may have been small to everyone else but to me it was like trying to run up a mountain.

Good to meet up with Dave and Happyslug (+Mr HS). It was very well organised but the "jog" (for me, add part of the run) to the start was a little muddy to say the least. Wonderful scenic country and will definitely be back next year.

My time (by my watch) was 71 mins and a few seconds and I was expecting 75+ so am very pleased with this.

Happyslug - am giving Hemyock a miss!
20/11/2002 at 22:25
Well done Fiona - sorry I missed you all.
Happyslug - I have sent off my entry for Hemyock this week, so hopefully might see you there. I haven't done this race for a few years, but I used to live in Wellington, so it was virtually my "local". Over the years I have run/walked/cycled and even ridden a horse up the dreaded hill.... and I have to say I can recommend the equine option every time!! (Do you think anyone would notice?)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.