Copenhagen Marathon

Wonderful Wonderful Copenhagen

21 to 40 of 46,891 messages
20/10/2003 at 22:14
I'm looking forward to it! Would like to do a sub 2hr half first then on to marathon training.
Good luck for Dublin. Are you tapering?
21/10/2003 at 14:03
Good luck for Dublin..I did this last year (actually I should write good luck for Phoenix Park..you'll no what I mean).

Mmm, tempted on this one. Have applied for FLM but small chance...cant decide between Paris in April (did that this year and was great), Prague, Hong Kong (my fav place at the moment) or this one. Copenhagen is a great palce - went there a few years ago for work...its also a good place to take the family as well especially if there is a royal wedding. Interesting.
21/10/2003 at 14:46
Thanks for being interested Ian. CR and I were starting to feel a bit lonely. Yes, Copenhagen is a great place to take the family. Tivoli Garden is the best place in the world (if you like fun fairs). That tower where you do a freefall drop of over 200 ft. Lord Lucan thought I was mad! Plenty for the little ones as well.
CR
21/10/2003 at 15:18
Thanks LL,

If tapering means lots of eating, rest, and not much running, then yes!

OK, I am with you on the sub 2 hour half. You must have a schedule by now??

Ian,
Yes, Copenhagen and Denmark is very family oriented!

It's very easy to get on the busses and trains with push-chairs, lots of cycling paths, plenty of activities for children e.g. at the National Museum, the Viking Museum (in Roskilde), Louisiana (Modern Art), The State Museum of Art, you name it...

Also there is a great ZOO and some great parks: Frederiksberg Have, Fælledparken, Rosenborg Have...

The only complaint I have heard is about childrens meals. They are usually more expensive than over here. But it is usually very good quality food for the kids, which makes it more expensive...

Pls. tell me about Phoenix Park. Very big, I expect. Undulating as well?
21/10/2003 at 15:38
I wouldn't exactly call it a schedule CR! I know I need to get more structured but...
21/10/2003 at 15:46
just thought I join you and let you know I have just sent off for my registration card

21/10/2003 at 17:26
LL,.....mmm..I remember that tower, no way you'd get me on there..!!
CR, phoenix park is at 17 miles as I remember...basically you have to start climbing a mile long hill, in the wilderness, tired, with no or little support, in the rain as likley....but once you turn the corner at the top and come on down...the sun shines, you see people and suddenly life isnt so bad. Having said that others found it a breeze..it was my first marathon and hadnt quite grasped the wall avoidance at that point so that didnt exactly help!!
21/10/2003 at 17:58
Ian, If the forumites meet up in Copenhagen I was thinking the queue for the Golden Tower might be just the place. You can see all the way to Sweden from the top - just a shame you only have a few seconds to admire the view!
CR
21/10/2003 at 20:01
Ian,

Thanks a lot, better to be prepared! Just had a look at the racemap. It seems like we are running anticlockwise this time. We start off with Phoenix Park at mile 4-8. Wilderness, sounds spooky!

Wall avoidance!? I'm a marathon virgin, please tell me more!

LL,
Same here, no way I'm getting on The Golden Nightmare. Last time I went on a rollercoaster (1972), I promised our Good Lord, that I'd be a good girl, if he got me down from there, alive!

22/10/2003 at 00:11

CR, Ian . .

CR's right, the course is apparently the opposite to last year and so we're running down through Phoenix Park which far from being a wilderness is a beautiful green thumbprint on the grey map of Dublin . .

Hmmmmmm . . must have read that somewhere . .

So stop teasing Ian!! ;-) CR, there are no walls, only stepping stones (guess I must have read that somewhere too - not normally creative unless I'm being paid!).

Had the diary out today and it looks like I could be free from domestic responsibilities the weekend of this marathon. It's the weekend after a particularly significant birthday . . if I were as impulsive as you guys I'd sign up now but . . hmmmm . . .

Is this Royal Wedding going to push up the cost of accomodation do you think?

You see I have a choice . . there's the Vienna Marathon and the Gothenburg Marathon on the same day . . and I've always wanted to go to Vienna . .

But then I've always regretted spending a week in Malmö and not taking the ferry to Copenhagen . .

So I'll keep popping my head around this particular Forum door, and see if I can be persuaded!! No need to make my mind up yet, only when the flights go on sale.

Nite all . .

CR
22/10/2003 at 11:15
Richk,

Vienna and Gotenburg can wait!

It's gonna be The Fairytale Wedding of the Century and a Jubilee Year for the Copenhagen Marathon!

Will it be a round number for your birthday?If yes, it would be a triple celebration!

Now just sign up, decide later. No need to pay now!

Cost of accomodation going up?
Very likely. Especially, if you are planning to stay at the 5 star Hotel D'Angleterre!;-)(Might be reserved for the royal weddingguests already though....)

Seriously, Copenhagen hotels are quite expensive, not London prices, but still...
I will look into what Sporttours has to offer.

22/10/2003 at 14:09

Hmm . . got something in the post from them today . . hadn't realised you could register now and pay later . .

. . I'll log onto the site this evening and register then . .

yes CR . . birthday is a round number, I'll be twice as old as the race . . not thrilled about it but can't turn the clock back!! Far more important than a wedding though!!

. . and if I get my programme right, and my body holds out, I may be able to make this a round-ish number of marathons too . . but not as great as my age!!

Will have to start checking out accomodation, and find out when Easy Jet's summer flights go on sale . . Stanstead would be convenient for me . .

Back to wuk . .
CR
22/10/2003 at 21:07
Richk,
Yipeee!!

Runners, who might be interested:

Angelis,
Hippo,
Ian Wood,
LL,
Plum??
CR

anyone else?

Richk, how about bringing some of your frinds to celebrate round number?

LL, how about Lord Lucan and little Lucans, will they be spectators?

22/10/2003 at 22:37

That's it - I've registered!!

Yippeeeeee!!!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself CR!!

Start looking at travel and where to stay now.

I've got a friend from Malmö, could have stayed there, only now they live in Barcelona . . not very convenient eh?

Don't worry CR, I've started telling people about it already.
22/10/2003 at 22:57
Not sure about Lord Lucan and all the little Lucans. Little Lucan no.2 may not be allowed time off school due to totally essential national testing of 6yr olds!
CR
23/10/2003 at 07:20
Fantastic, Richk.

That's actually a very good idea, to check out hotels/accommodation i Malmø, if prices go up in Copenhagen!

LL
Oh yes the SATS! School told us not to take time off in May this year... Hope it won't interfere with your plans?

BTW just got glossy magazines from DK re. royal wedding. All very exciting. Lovely pics.

Article said that Crownprince Frederik ran his first marathon Wonderful Copenhagen in 3.22.50. Am impressed. Poor bodyguards!
I don't expect HRH to be running this year though! Off to honeymoon....
23/10/2003 at 18:30
Rich...mmm...not sure about stepping stones, but then I think you finshed Dubbers about an hour ahead of me last year ;-(
Think I have convinced Mrs W and in-laws on this one...M-I-L already getting excited about Royal Wedding. We did a family (Me, Mrs W, W Juniors and in-laws)weekend away in Berlin for the Marathon a few weeks ago and it worked well (i.e. children go off with mum and grandparents who spoil them rotten leaving me to do nothing and stuff my face full of pasta then are placed in strategic places on the Sunday to feed me goodies). Copenhagen would be a good place to repeat this again I think.
I'm actually hoping to do he Hong Kong marathon in Feb as well but still building the case for that one on the domestic front.

Is copenhagen mara likley to get full up soon, what normally happens with this one?
23/10/2003 at 18:32
Ryanair will be cheaper than easyjet and they fly to copenhagen dont they?
23/10/2003 at 18:36
CR will know. Are you there CR?
CR
23/10/2003 at 20:05
Ian,

Ryanair only flies to Aarhus and Esbjerg in Denmark, but also to Malmø in Sweden.
http://www.ryanair.com/

I think it is quite easy to take the train(Danish Railways, DSB) from Sweden via the Øresundbridge to CPH.
http://www.dsb.dk/english/

Easyjet flies directly from Stanstd. to CPH.
http://www.easyjet.com/da/online/index.asp

Maersk Air flies from Gatwick to CPH.
http://www.maersk-air.com/en/

SAS flies from LHR to CPH.
https://ibp2.scandinavian.net/planandbook/searchAvailView.asp?MKT=GB

BA flies from LHR to CPH
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/globalgateway.jsp/global/public/en_

Hope that will be helpful!
21 to 40 of 46,891 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.