Cranleigh 15/21

Sunday 21 March

61 to 78 of 78 messages
20/03/2004 at 14:53
No there isn't - they're over their limit already, and the police wont permit any additional runners.
21/03/2004 at 14:31
Phew, that was tough, legs beginning to feel it now!

Ran the 21.1 in 2.29.44 or therabouts so very pleased,with very even splits throughout!
Saw Snoop briefly afterwards, but didn't hang around (Mothers Day!)

Well done all those who finished this one!
21/03/2004 at 15:15
Well done Dustin, I managed 21 in 3:17, even splits, so well pleased too!
I certainly feel like I've done a long run now!

If the day carries on like the last hour has, I shall be spending the rest of the day eating ......
21/03/2004 at 15:27
For me a slow overall time of 3 hours 20 minutes but I was really pleased with my splits as I ran the first half as slowly as possible just to see if the "gas in the tank" theory worked - it did! First half of race took 108 minutes, second half 92 minutes, finishing reasonably comfortably in the last few miles (by my standards, which is not saying much, I regret).

Think sub 4 in the marathon is still possible, albeit more of a pipedream than a prediction

Race well organised and marshalled (thanks) and I liked a quote I read on the back of a runner's shirt that read something like:

"The generations of living things pass in a short time, and like runners, hand on the torch of life..." by Lucretius in 99BC
Raf
21/03/2004 at 17:27
Well done to you all!

I completed 21 miles in 2.49, ran even 8-min miles for the first 15, but slowed slightly on the third lap to miss sub 2.48.

Agree with you Sterlin, the course was well marshalled - by the way, all the best with sub-4, just think about the windy conditions and that incline at 14 and 20 - YOU CAN DO A SUB-4!

On the way home I went through Ruislip and saw some Finchley 20 runners, I couldn't help feel glad that it was them and not me running in the afternoon.

Now to enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening, feet up with some nice tea.......
22/03/2004 at 07:20
Not doing the FLM but did this cos I enjoyed it so much last year.

Completed 21 in 3.02 and like Sterling I thought I'd see if doing the first 5 miles REALLY slowly made any overall difference. It did - I felt strong at the end - would have been comfortable doing another 5 miles - and it really is quite nice working your way up through the field.

Good fun.
22/03/2004 at 11:47
Didn't run this year, but watched instead and want to say thanks to runners who acknowledged supporters and marshalls.

I was near one road junction which was a nightmare for the marshalls, but they managed and runners were very obliging and thankful. I don't always have enough puff to say thanks when running so i know even a smile or thumbs up is just as good, or in the case of the guy wearing the Forrest shirt a punch in the air!
Well done to you all, hope you didn't get too wet and battered by the wind.
22/03/2004 at 11:51
I thought conditions were ok - rain held off and the wind wasn't too bad for the most part.

Nice country lanes for the most part with only a couple of miles of main road.

Also, parking was dead easy, and refreshments/loos were great. Well done everyone concerned with putting the show on.
22/03/2004 at 11:56
Must have been a very localised rain cloud over me then!!

Yes, well done marshalls, smiling and helpful as always on this race ... and a few of you were very vociferous in your support! :-))
22/03/2004 at 11:57
Did the 15 mile course (& have blisters to prove it) Have to say very well organised, parking was easy, marshalls & other runners were helpful, friendly & encouraging & a big thank you to whoever organised the that the rain did not start until I had finished!!
22/03/2004 at 12:01
Ditto what everyone else has said. I tried to acknowledge the marshalls efforts with a smile or a thanks.

I enjoyed the course, but a few of the car drivers did scare me, they were going so fast really close to the runners. The last 6 miles were quite quiet and I tended to stay in with groups of other runners, and probably could have gone a bit faster. Finsihing time 3:16:17, but I feel I had some left in the tank, not sure if the sub 4 FLM is in me yet ;)
22/03/2004 at 18:18
I would also like to thank organisers and marshalls for a well organised and excellent event.

Was not expecting to do 21 due to recent knee problems, but eased around without any major problems in just over 2:45. Found the course psychologically good, with the shorter 2nd and 3rd loops. Also they were nice and quiet so had time to enjoy the countryside!
23/03/2004 at 11:25
Results for 21 are on website! Not 15 though!
23/03/2004 at 23:36
congrats all those who raced.
Sterling I'm sure sub 4 is there for the taking!

Alfie - agree about the course- the third loop was so much easier knowing what was around the corner, although that last hill was tough for the second time of asking!

Echo comments about organistaion. Superb. Also arriving 30 minutes before the off and having half a carpark to choose from was unknown joy!

Good to see the results up so soon, so officially 2:29:47 and 35th out of 352.

Raf
24/03/2004 at 09:52
Well done Dustin, 2.29 is awesome running!

I'm sure that Sterling can do sub 4, those crowds at London do amazing things!

I was hoping for sub 3.50 for London, but after Cranleigh maybe I can do a sub 3.40, I can dream.....I am rapidly forgetting how tired I was on that 3rd lap, maybe this is why I am getting a tad too ambitious......

Will you be doing London Dustin, and what time are you hoping for?
24/03/2004 at 10:13
Does anyone know when the 15 mile times will be avaialble?
24/03/2004 at 22:51
Good time Raf, I reckon you should aim for 3:40 - I think there will be 3:45 pacers, who can take you through halfway, then just leave them for dead over the second half!

I'm doing London and with a bit of luck , a following wind and a constant tail wind I should be close to 3:00 which will take a huge slice off the pb.

Shirley - sorry don't know about the 15 results.
25/03/2004 at 01:18
15 mile results now up. Don't forget it's actually more than 15 when you work out your pace.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 78 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.