Crewe Deja Vu Track Marathon

21 to 40 of 81 messages
01/11/2011 at 17:28

Reading back the race info it does sound a bit like we don't have faith in the timing guys. Nothing could be further from the truth - they are a highly professional outfit who have timed some very reputable national and international competitions, read about them here to put your mind at rest http://www.hssports.co.uk/about.htm

We were just trying to cover all bases, that's all. If you have a Garmin or GPS enabled device it'd be wise to use it, for your own peace of mind as much as anything else.

Don't be nervous about the race, that's our job. Just relax and enjoy the view.

01/11/2011 at 17:32

Wrexhamrob - the chances of chip counting going pear-shaped are very slim.  Much more likely that someone mis-counts you going round if it is done manually.  Probably the biggest risk associated with counting is tripping over the mat at some point - and that's not very likely either.

Stu - perhaps see you Sunday lunchtime then?

Haven't see any race info as yet.  How do I get hold of a copy please?

Edited: 01/11/2011 at 17:34
01/11/2011 at 17:54

Everybody on the start list should have received a copy via email, but in case it went awry or was spam-filtered there is a copy here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2bDziePrsDkNjI5M2ZmMTUtN2NjNC00YWQ2LWJiNGMtNmQ2ZGYzNWViODQ4

01/11/2011 at 20:03
Just read it Michael, sounds an absolute laugh but ask me that after 105.5 laps, done it once before on a track and wrecked one of my knees, fun.
01/11/2011 at 20:11
Michael many thanks that does put my mind at ease . I will be using my garmin as well. & will rely on both. It was just when I di a lap marathon in Telford - not on a track , my garmin was short when I thought I'd finished , by their unique measuring system ( not chips) .

No worries
Or as we say in Wales
Dim broblem !

I get nervous before every race, but yes I intend to come & enjoy, the views, - my pal Ultra Dunc disappearing around the next bend,
Mick n Phil easy easy easy
And conversation with anybody nearby.
I hear there may be an Alex fan or 2 - I can tell him about a real big club nearby

That should be some banter for a lap or 20

In a strange way looking forward to it.

I must go n buy the post race Guiness - you up for some black stuff Clairster
02/11/2011 at 06:46

Michael - many thanks for the link to the joining instructions.  Found they were very useful, clear and simple.  I can tell you that there is no restriction on MP3 on track - only applies on roads.

Noted that you didn't bother filling in the "Course Profile" section.  I've drafted out something here as I realise that constructing this section of the notes is time consuming.   "Flat."

I'm most impressed with the "Indoor Viewing Area".  Whilst we have a "viewing area" at our track, it is outdoors and on the side of a grass bank which becomes muddy in adverse weather.

I'm looking forward to the weekend - thanks to the team for having the courage and conviction to deliver the event.      Maurice

PS - Now seen the "Word" version of the instructions and noted the very detailed course profile diagram.  Shame though that you have only drawn the first 300m of the 26.2miles!

Edited: 02/11/2011 at 06:59
02/11/2011 at 09:31
hello yes thanks for the instructions, loved the profile .

one question - is there a plan to change direction every so often, or is that up to the runner or is it not allowed. I would be very worried about potential injury doing 105.5laps one way!

thank you
02/11/2011 at 10:14

Hi all

Will pop in to watch.Look forward to seeing you Offord  btw you will see 2 1/2 stone less of me -lol

when training is further up and I have a moment of insanity I may do it next year

Edited: 02/11/2011 at 10:25
02/11/2011 at 13:24
yes please WR
02/11/2011 at 17:18
Hi everyone,

I've looked at some of the race details now but see what direction we are to run in, presumably anti-clockwise.

I have a nigglsome toe blister on my right foot so it shouldn't be a problem.

Looking forward to a rest from hilly running, plus there will be no navigation issues
03/11/2011 at 09:41

Morning folks,

The race will be run anti-clockwise for the entire duration.

It isn't practical to change direction during the race principally because it would throw the chip timing completely awry. Just for the record the track surface is absolutely fantastic. It's very well maintained and in our opinion with exactly the right amount of cushioning for a comfortable run. Admittedly we haven't run 105.5 laps on it so we may well be being somewhat naive, but surely this is all part of the challenge of the Déjà vu

The weather forecast at the moment is very favourable, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Hope everyone is feeling good and we look forward to seeing you on Sunday morning!

04/11/2011 at 07:57
Just over 48hrs folks . Excitement building. Just reviewing my pre race checklists. Considering what to have on the unmanned support table. Full sugar coke for lap 80+, ? Maybe opening it allow fizz to go earlier.
What about putting waterproof jacket , long sleeve too in a bag there?
Flag for final lap - you taking yours Dunc ?
Where to have the cool bag with Guiness, & when to consume? What do you think Clairster, traditional Guiness in the snack bar after the race?
What snacks are available ? What will be left for us 4&1/2 hour runners? Or I'll probably bring a chunky whole meal bread sausage butty to help the Guiness down.

Checklist
Loperamide Saturday , Sunday morning
Ibuprofen melt, paracetamol, ( yes I'm a pharmacist and these are legal enhancers together with glucose & caffeine gels
Vaseline, and nipple plasters
Hmmm what else?
Timing to get to Crewe, timing to get up for porrige
Check playlist- I usually only need it for last 6-8 miles, even with Dunc encouraging me at Chester- remember singing Yellow submarine coming into Huntington ?
More later
What's on your checklist ?
04/11/2011 at 21:01

Checklist :  Shoes, shorts, vest, socks and water.

Looking forward to this.

04/11/2011 at 21:13
Marathon last weekend, virtually no running this week, so a little concerned for Sunday.
04/11/2011 at 22:40
Aha shoes shorts socks shirt. Yes looking forward. Only 2 short runs this week, but 2x26.2 in last 2months
06/11/2011 at 08:47
Time to go. yes Rob I have flag.

Good luck to all racing today, nice sunny day so everyone smile
06/11/2011 at 11:25

Well went to see 'em off and my mate Offord. Will pop for finish as only 10 minute walk.

Great that they have music and now I want to do it next year  Weather just right I reckon.

06/11/2011 at 15:45
Hard, and a bit hard. Well done guys for organising it.  Weather behaved itself.
06/11/2011 at 17:00
thank you guys, that was a top day out..I had much fun well done everyone who ran and/or organised
06/11/2011 at 17:37

What a cracking event!

Well done to all the organisers and supporters, your friendliness and enthusiasm made this one to remember.   

Also a big thanks to the chip timers who kept tabs on the number of laps we had done, if it weren't for them I might still be going, my Garmin completely lost the plot, recording 171 laps!

Personally I struggled today towards the end, maybe that was all the extra laps I did , but after today's experience, would certainly try something like this again.

21 to 40 of 81 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.