Dartmoor Discovery

Ideal for first try at an Ultra

1 to 20 of 267 messages
20/05/2003 at 19:26
This is a tough hilly, but beautiful course. Started in 1998 at 34.1 miles, Sat 7th June 2003 will be the 5th running (now 32.3 miles). If you've done a marathon recently you can definitely do it! There's something pretty special about going over the marathon distance for the first time and the Discovery has a all the "Ultra atmosphere" you could wish for - inc Jail Ale, disco etc. You get pampered! I ran my first 5 wks after my first marathon in 99 ...
www.twobridgesraces.org
It's YOU against the distance, so you get loads of support from marshalls, helpers, locals - and other runners!
Anyone out there doing it?
20/05/2003 at 19:40
correction - website www.twobridgesrace.org
20/05/2003 at 20:42
Not this year - may treat myself next year when I'm 50!
21/05/2003 at 18:56
I marshalled at this race for 2 years before finally plucking up the courage to go that extra few miles over marathon distance. Have just entered for the 3rd time, wouldn't miss this race for anything. Fantastic views, good road surface, brilliant race organisation, it's definitely the best race of the year. I think a lot of people are scared to go over marathon distance.

Anybody out there still thinking about entering?
22/05/2003 at 11:09
Hi Shades - Brilliant - so you've been at every one! I keep trying to tell 'em!!
I'm there 100% - every time (missed the very first one though in 1998 - I hadn't even run a Half-M back then)

Like I said in my report at www.haylerunners.co.uk - once you've done it - YOU HAVE TO GO BACK!
Last yr I didn't have enough time to train after injury, but did it anyway ... just!

There is only one other event now that comes close to the Discovery for atmosphere and that was Tresco M - did it for the first time this yr (13 April). Similar numbers - around 100 - everyone treated as Special. But for Tresco there is raising the £250 for Cystic Fibrosis & the cost of accom & travel (minimum - over £200 for 2!)

Whereas for the Discovery - the Bunkhouse accom is around £5 a night!!

Come on you guys (both genders incl here)!!!
Do this wonderful race - you will be SO GLAD you did!
Just start a bit slower than a marathon - it is only 10k more ...
24/05/2003 at 12:58
I have entered it for the 1st time! got my details back today. Looking foward to it! sort of.
24/05/2003 at 13:18
Brilliant news Muzza, have you done an ultra before?

The weather can be unpredictable on Dartmoor so make sure you pack suitable gear for all weathers, then wait for the weather forecast on the day.

You can arrange for any special drinks and food to be placed at any/all of the drink stations.

There's also a disco in the evening, will help knock any stiffness out of those legs after the race!!
24/05/2003 at 14:04
Never ran a ultra before, only ran the marathon distance. I have read in my details about your own special drinks at any station! what a brilliant idea!

Unfortunatly wont be able to stay for the afterparty, my mate has to work at 6pm, yes he is running it as well and I am going on my hols to greece early on sunday morning, so we will have to come right back. When I can walk a bit anyway!
24/05/2003 at 16:36
I really ought to do it sometime-did the 2 Bridges last year.
Good luck then to those who are going.
24/05/2003 at 17:37
Well done Liz..you are an inspiration!

We met..well I gave you a drink (?) when I was marshalling on the Bodmin stretch and at the end of the Canter in March.
24/05/2003 at 18:09
To: Muzza
Your first ultra, great. Just remember not to go off at marathon pace and think you'll just hang on for the last few miles. Just start like a Sunday training run, nice and easy, the first half is mostly downhill, except for one steep climb at 6ish miles.

To: Timothy
Much nicer route than 2 Bridges, better air quality and less traffic, not too late to enter?
25/05/2003 at 09:23
Thinking about it.
Ran the Neolithic marathon 3 weeks ago and am doing the Trailwalker (100kms) at end of July so this would be good training.
If I can't find a marathon nearer to home (N.Hants) around that time you may well see me there.
25/05/2003 at 19:54
Dustin

Closing date for entries is 4th June, no entries on day, get that entry in, form available on Two Bridges webstite. Would definitely be a good training run for your 100k, and there are some good steady hills on the course.

What's the 100k Trailwalker like, have only tried one 100k before but had to pull out at 50 miles, but would like to have another go next year.
25/05/2003 at 19:59
trailwalker is a walk
i hope
im doing it this year
theres a thread on it
26/05/2003 at 20:11
kewick1uk - what's in the name? Bodmin stretch - end of Camel Canter in March? tell me more - are you thinking of doing the Discovery? did you recognise me from the squashed pic (my son squeezed it to the required size)

Muzza - I'm really glad you've entered, shame you wont make the apres race shin-dig (hey what sort of expression is that - does it show my age!?)

Timothy R - This yrs Two Bridges links to next June's (2004) Discovery for Twinning awards, long way to go from the far South West, esp if it's not a special course ...

Dustin! GO FOR IT!! You wont regret it - Are you in photos at richk.co.uk? must go back there - my photos of Neolithic should arrive next wk

Shades!! I'm sure you will blast passed me once you allow yourself more than a wk (or less!) between marathons. (PS Did 2.03 at Plymouth - chuffed!)
26/05/2003 at 20:13
Sorry Keswick1uk - missed the S - Keswick as in the Lakes I presume
27/05/2003 at 10:41
The "better" bunkhouse at the Plume of Feathers has a big kitchen, bring your own munchies!! I find it more relaxing than a B&B, although not quite as comfortable ... that's assuming no Guest House uses nylon sheets anymore???!
27/05/2003 at 10:53
HI ALL.CAN````T WAIT TO DO THIS BEASTY.GOT MY NUMBER BACK IN FEB SO THAT I WOULDN`T BOTTLE IT.NOW THAT IT`S NEARLY HERE I CAN`T WAIT.HOPE U ALL HAVE A GOOD TIME SEE U THERE .SPECTATORS PLEASE CHEER ON TIRED LOOKING `ERME VALLEY HARRIER`!!!!ENJOY
27/05/2003 at 18:38
Liz
Brilliant result at Plymouth, you're definitely on for a PB at the Discovery. Have you got your WRN vest yet?

Richie Rich
Your first ultra? Any others from your club running too? You obviously haven't done the Discovery before, most of the spectators have 4 legs, mostly ponies and sheep, with the odd cow here and there!!
27/05/2003 at 20:57
Although I won't be running it, I'll see if I can get along to give you all a well deserved cheer somewhere near Widecombe - well, anywhere outside a pub!
1 to 20 of 267 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.