DISNEY 2011

I'm doing Goofy whats your choice

81 to 100 of 158 messages
19/10/2010 at 19:18

Fizz

All the parks have New Year Eve parties but they come as a supplment to the usual park fee

There are some events in Kissimee/Celebration which are free but where ever you go you can expect to enjoy yourself 

Give serious consideration to booking your car beforehand as the car hire rates are about 15 to 20% more when booking in the US If your staying on Disney property and are happy to stay there you won't need a car but otherwise you will find you need a car

23/10/2010 at 10:33

I got a deal for the best western orlando gateway on/near I- drive.. For three of us for 12 nights we got a reduction of 800$. It is very close to the Universal park where we havent been before. I wouldnt know for how many days we would need a car. Will need it to get to disney for the marathon but really not sure how much moreo we need it. Do you have to pick up car rentals at the airprort or can you get them elsewhere?

Are the entries sitll open for the fun run? MY teenagers do absolutely no exercise whatsoever and I think if they got a buzz from doing this that they might just take up theh odd bit of running.

23/10/2010 at 15:42

Fizz

There are plenty of car hire firms on I drive  you will no doubt get free transport from you Hotel to the Disney parks and the I drive bus will take you to SeaWorld . You may be able to book a taxi to get you to the marathon start but never booked a cab so cannot comment

If your happy with these parks then you may get away without a car

None of the races are at capacity yet  

24/10/2010 at 20:53

This is a great thread,great info ,I plan to do the goofy challenge 2012

So lease come back with any tips or hints

25/10/2010 at 20:19

Hi LYnne. welcome to the thead. Think we are just getting up and running again as we approach training times for it.

26/10/2010 at 17:06
Daft wuestion, but what's the course elevation? is it more towards flat or undulating?
27/10/2010 at 09:03
Its very flat, witha few nasty under/over/spiral passes...
27/10/2010 at 10:47
Thats fine, I like flat and underpases are ok- I'm in Peterborough so used to them!
27/10/2010 at 12:29
For those that have done this before, what arrangements can be made to meet family afterwards? Do they have to pay into the park (or use ticket) or is there an area to meet family that can easily be accessed?
27/10/2010 at 18:05

Griffsters

There is a Family/Friends zone which has a grandstand area Tickets can be bought via the website Have a look at the Cheer zone for the full details. If they don't want to pay for the Cheer zone I suggest they drive to Epcot park and wait in the reunion area There is normally a band and the characters hang around for photo's so its not empty

There is no admittance to the parks afterwards even for runners. However this year there is a free ticket to the parks on the Monday morning but only for runners

27/10/2010 at 18:44
Thanks Slowfoot, will keep a look out for the cheers zone, cant find it yet on the site. If not, at least there is a dedicated reunion zone with some entertainment.
29/10/2010 at 16:04

When I did the Goofy last year we arrived on Xmas Day and went home on the 16th Jan.  I'd definately recommend having a week after the event to enjoy a few ribs, burgers and beers.  Before the race as someone has already mentioned Olive Garden is a must for good pasta.  You get free soup or salad with the main course (they try to push the salad). 

We're lucky enough to own some villas out there which we rent out so we stayed in one of those.  Not sure if it's allowed but the website address if anyone is interested is www.killervilla.com.  If you're renting a car then a villa is certainly worth considering especially for families.  It's very easy driving to Epcot and having the car to stay warm in was a god send with the seasonally bad weather in 2010 although I'm sure it'll be warmer next year for you.  Our villas are just off the 192 near Medieval Times.  The 192 although not picturesque is quite handy for training runs as it's pedestrianised and has mile markers on it.  I used to run from mile marker 15 down to mile marker 9 with a few detours on the way to add extra mileage when necessary. 

It's pretty much a flat course so definately PB potential.  In fact both my half and full marathon times are PB's for me.  They have pace runners with balloons which is pretty handy.  I managed to follow the 3:30 guy for about 21 miles before the previous days half got the better of me.     

We spend a lot of time in Florida so if anyone had any questions I'd be more than happy to help out. I ran the inaugural Wine & Dine half marathon earlier in the month and that was nowhere near as well organised and supported.  The Disney Half/Marathon/Goofy was so much better.

Cheers,

Loz

01/11/2010 at 20:39
slowfoot wrote (see)

There is no admittance to the parks afterwards even for runners. However this year there is a free ticket to the parks on the Monday morning but only for runners

Bummer I fly back on Monday, ANyone want mine?
02/11/2010 at 13:07

The "marathon monday" is free entry on the Monday for those who complete the marathon only, and you have to show photo ID, I believe.

As we get the ultimate ticket, it's not something we're going to use anyway, but it's nice that their actually doing this now.

fizz, how will your legs feel on the flight? hope you have no problems sitting and standing like I do after a marathon...

Loz, I don't understand how disney can do the most organised race I've participated in, but then not manage to replicate that to their other races. I found Disneyland Half this year also not as good as the main marathon weekend. 

I'm still on my enforced break from running (by the physio) for another week or so, but am keen to get back into training. looking forward to Dopey!

02/11/2010 at 17:15

madaussie wrote (see)

Loz, I don't understand how disney can do the most organised race I've participated in, but then not manage to replicate that to their other races. I found Disneyland Half this year also not as good as the main marathon weekend. 

I'm sure Disney will work on it.  The Wine & Dine was a night half marathon which was perhaps part of the problem.  It didn't start until 10pm as I suspect Disney didn't want to close the parks early.  It's not that hot in October, 9pm or even 8pm would have been a much better start time. 

Also it was very disappointing that my wife and mother-in-law could not see me during the race.   I contacted Disney prior to registering for the race as to whether there were places to spectate and it was very difficult to get a straight answer out of them.  All they seemed to be interested in was selling Finish Line party tickets.  When we asked staff at the start of the race we also received very confusing information and in the end they didn't manage to see me which was a real shame as they had been waiting with me at the start for almost 4 hours. 

Perhaps Disney will think about this aspect in future.

03/11/2010 at 16:54

Madaussie, dont think it matters much about my poor legs. Kids  are supposed to be back in school on MOnday so its a bit of a stretch til wednesday as it is. Would love to say until  the tuesday as we could fly home direct ,rather than transfer at Boston. Last time we came through New York , we ended up  stranded  in the airport for three days. was a nightmare getting home. Never again.

What has you on the injury bench my buddy?

04/11/2010 at 00:03

Another vote for the olive garden.

In 2012 we plan to cruise after the race. Im so excited, when do entries open?

04/11/2010 at 10:24

Fizz, its called something I can't remember. basically the patella isn't happy with its little groove so it jumps out. very painful, and tends to be brought on by brisk walking or running downhills.

Orlys mum, 2012 entries will probably open not long after the 2011 race.

04/11/2010 at 22:13

Luxating patella.

Ouch !!!

I better start flexing my cc its not cheap !!

how much was it last year for the goofy challange? 

05/11/2010 at 11:22
I think $295, but can't quite remember...you sort of block those kind of memories.
81 to 100 of 158 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.