Do they really mean it about no headphones at Manchester Marathon?

advice needed on whether to go ahead regardless

41 to 60 of 95 messages
05/04/2013 at 14:29

RicF, there's a radio play in there somewhere.

05/04/2013 at 15:00

I always do training runs with music, because i run almost exclusively on my lonesome, and I live in south london, so most of my weekly mileage is done on pavement and park where the "sounds of the city" permeate the air. Now if I lived in the mountains or by a babbling brook, I could get onboard with this idea of running without music/podcast. I'm sure it's deeply peaceful to run with just the sounds of nature for company.

Anyway, I'm running Manchester Marathon too. If they allowed earphones I'd take mine along and listen to music during the stretches with gaps in spectators. But they don't, and i'm buggered if i'm going to get DQd after preparing for months for this race.

05/04/2013 at 15:03

which reminds me I shoudl probably do my last 20 miler this weekend without my earphones, to get me used to it. won't quite be the same without thousands of spectators, but then as I experienced in Brighton there are likely to be some stretches without a spectator in sight (sadly in Brighton this was around mile 19-21 ish, which weaved through some power plant site or something - great planning) and it'll be useful to be able to dig in without musical "assistance".

05/04/2013 at 15:11
As the headphones rule seems to be "optional"
What are the other optional rules in races,

The only one I know of is for runners starting in the correct pen.
05/04/2013 at 15:16

Theres only one answer to this.... vigilantism!

See somebody wearing headphones in an event where they have been specifically banned?
Collectively jump them and give them a right shoeing. I assure you, they'll never break that rule again!

Power to the people!

05/04/2013 at 15:24
Gazza81 wrote (see)

Theres only one answer to this.... vigilantism!

See somebody wearing headphones in an event where they have been specifically banned?
Collectively jump them and give them a right shoeing. I assure you, they'll never break that rule again!

Power to the people!

I think ramming their headphones up their jacksie would make the punishment fit the crime.

05/04/2013 at 15:30
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
As the headphones rule seems to be "optional"
What are the other optional rules in races,

The only one I know of is for runners starting in the correct pen.

both my peeves in one , so much so that I,ll avoid doing any larger runs and stick to fell racing .........you never see mp3,s  or starting pens , the numbers are low and the races cheaper.

05/04/2013 at 15:48
AgentGinger wrote (see)

I always do training runs with music, because i run almost exclusively on my lonesome, and I live in south london, so most of my weekly mileage is done on pavement and park where the "sounds of the city" permeate the air. Now if I lived in the mountains or by a babbling brook, I could get onboard with this idea of running without music/podcast. I'm sure it's deeply peaceful to run with just the sounds of nature for company.

I always train without music, and I pretty much always run on my own and live on the outskirts of Stockport, so I always hear traffic, sirens etc etc.  For me, it's a safety thing, I want to hear if anyone's behind me etc etc.  But also, I think that if I can't get round a training run without music, how am I going to cope in a race.  Also, for those that do run with music, what happens if you forget to charge up your ipod or it breaks or something happens and on race day you can't use it - doesn't this affect your mojo, as you're not used to running without music??

Now my Garmin is a different matter - I wear this to tell me how far I've been, how fast (or in my case, slow) I'm going and for the estimated calorie burn.  I'm also really sad in that I like to look at the pretty graphs on the computer when I upload my training info and compare my split times.  None of this affects my ability to hear what is going on around me in a race and I have never got in anyone's way (including a police car which was held up by a girl weaving all over the road, oblivious to what was behind her, with her earphones in!!!) and as an amateur athlete do not think that this could be enhancing my below average performance.....   So I really hope Garmins do not get banned.

05/04/2013 at 16:10

I'm running in a trail race this weekend that does not have a no ipod rule.

I think i may wear mine for the second twenty as i enjoy a it of heavy bass when i'm running.  If   i come level with  another running i will take off my ear piece and have a little chat, how long depends on how well, if at all , i know the runner. Most of the time i know i'll be out on my own , i'm no threat to anyone but myself  so if i feel like a bit of Dizzy rascal then i'll go for it. 

If another runner goes past with garmini tick tocking and showing him/her the way, i will

still greet them respectfully. Like car drivers travelling along listening to car stereo

while  talking to passengers , i know how to jog down a country lane without accident

Obviously if the rules say no ipods then i would not wear one.

05/04/2013 at 16:13

But for big road marathons with loads of runners and good support  i wouldn't bother with canned music

nor would i expect anyone to wear garmins.   

05/04/2013 at 16:28

When I sit next to someone on the train who has loud music banging tinnily away, I really, really want to just pull out a small pair of scissors and cut the wire to the earphones.

Never had the nerve though 

05/04/2013 at 16:29

would someone who can type please correct all my spelling mistake.

05/04/2013 at 16:34

that doesn't apply to running along side someone 28 miles into an ultra race .

We don't have blaring music that others can hear.

and i wouldn't want to talk to someone( runner or not) who carried sissors to do peoples music over.

05/04/2013 at 16:38

own up,

who keeps nicking my letters?

has all the music done my head in?

turn it up,

i said, turn the music up

turn it up..

seren nos    pirate
05/04/2013 at 17:05

i say a runner on the ultra a few years ago going in the totally wrong path.......i did shout very loudly to them  ( and my voice is a tad loud)...but alas they were wearing headphones and so went totally off course..........

05/04/2013 at 17:12

that was me, i'm sure.

cracking tune though.

05/04/2013 at 20:27

Best way to deal with headfone wearers is let them get to within 100metres of the finish, and have some burly bouncer bundle them off the course.

That'd teach em

06/04/2013 at 19:58
Headphones for training - yes
Headphones for race day - no you miss out on all the banter!
06/04/2013 at 21:51

not true, i ran the first twenty today listening to birdsong and country sounds on my ipod.

there were too many rutted tracks and trails for group conversations as everyone needed to pay attention.  We could all see who was wearing headphones , likewise garmini,

On the second lap with the twenty milers out of the race  most of the time i was on my own so i turned off my birdsong to chat with the dozen or so 40 milers who crossed my path constantly.  we all introduced ourselves and encouraged each other on  so many different stages of the "race" . We were all aware it was a race but that did not mean we'd be cut throating each other when the path narrowed  or the hills became like mountins. When you see a fellow athlete half a mile ahead of you  suddenly slow  because  they're tired  and you come level the first thing you do is talk to them, help them if they need it. you don't say oh you shouldn't wear a ipod/garmin .

Bear in mind i'm talking about an ultra race that understands all runners needs, not just the mindoutthewayi'mcoming throughcrew.

Don't know what sort of events some of you guys do but you all need to chill out a bit.

If you can drive your cars at 60-70 miles an hour listening to car stereos watching the road and other traffic without causing an accident i'm sure you can handle a local run around traffic free parks or roads.

PSC    pirate
06/04/2013 at 21:53
Trundle Forth wrote (see)
Headphones for training - yes
Headphones for race day - no you miss out on all the banter!

+1 on that.......

41 to 60 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.