Do they really mean it about no headphones at Manchester Marathon?

advice needed on whether to go ahead regardless

61 to 80 of 95 messages
06/04/2013 at 22:06

with your ears free to listen to the birdsong.

I had a Kite following me today whistling away like crazy, sounded like he was warning me about the hills ahead.   Then there was a section where shooting was going on.  BANG.

Louder that that actually.  it made me jump.

but they were firing at those clay birds what they make out of the earth beneath my feet

so how could i moan at their noise when they were just using the clay i was running on ?

07/04/2013 at 07:07

Has anyone seen the headphones that play the music into the bone behind the ear? So there is nothing actually in the ear itself, Got reviewed in a bike magazine who are normally anti anything in the ear for safety of hearing traffic etc. Does sort of mess the argument up a bit.

Is the headphone thing now more of an attitude thing, i.e we don't like it but not sure why anymore

07/04/2013 at 08:14

Flat Foo..ed-  yes it has.  

07/04/2013 at 08:55

No it hasn't!

07/04/2013 at 09:19
07/04/2013 at 09:38

woof woof.

07/04/2013 at 09:42

Loftus- That's fair enough if it's an event that says no headphones

but those rules do not apply for many ( if not most) ultra races.

07/04/2013 at 09:48

Don't get me wrong i have no issue with headphones . If the race organiser reiterates No headphones when you agree to enter. Thats it

07/04/2013 at 12:47
Trundle Forth wrote (see)
Headphones for training - yes
Headphones for race day - no you miss out on all the banter!

Generally agree, but I'm not sure there is any "banter" when you're working flat out in a race!

07/04/2013 at 14:29
Stevie G. The clue is in the name trundling rather than racing is my thing. As long as I finish I don't massively care about the time at my end of things there's usually a fair bit of chat, at least I the first few miles.
07/04/2013 at 19:08

I've always worn headphones for races but then I'd never been on running forums until recently and found out its a divisive issue.

To be honest I've never had any issues, I tend to have my music at a level where I can still hold a conversation. When things get noisy I can hardly hear the music but I like it there for when things get quiet.

I'd say I'm a very considerate runner, for instance I always check behind before moving or spitting (don't tell me spitting isn't PC please)

07/04/2013 at 19:35

If the OP is run/ walking, then using headphones can be a problem, even if the rules say nothing about it.

I had to run/ walk my first marathon, as I was injured, and although most of you think it is heresy, I still managed a sub- 4:30 time, and for a first go, it encouraged me to keep trying. The problem with run- walking is that you have to be very attentive to those around you- look behind you, pull off to the side before you slow- so you need eyes AND ears working.

The most inconsiderate thing anyone has ever done to me at a race was pee'd whilst running along in a 10k, (and I was close enough behind to get "the benefit")- honestly- it wasn't as if either of us were even in the top 1/3rd of the field

seren nos    pirate
07/04/2013 at 19:44

that is gross  tricialitt......

i have peed on the bike but then noone should get the after effects as there is a no drafting rule.....

If i have peed myself in a race I have always gone to the side of the road

07/04/2013 at 19:49

How do you pee on the run without peeing on yourself?

You'd probably have to be going so slow it's a wonder anyone would bother, and would be better of just stopping for 20secs!

07/04/2013 at 19:53

Why on earth would anyone reduce themselves to pissing and shitting themselves during a race?

The loss of the few seconds required to deal with the problem in a civilized manner must surely out weigh the loss of self esteem of being featured on the 'net' for the rest of your life covered in cac or soaking your fellow runners.

07/04/2013 at 20:14

The adrenaline/stress pre race normally ensures you have nothing on board that will make an unfortunate appearance!

Must be trickier in a marathon where you need enough fuel to get you round. Emptying yourself out might not work so well there!

07/04/2013 at 21:37

I ran Wrexham 10K today and they had, IMHO, the right attitude to headphones. They asked people not to wear them as they felt they may be unsafe but said if they did then the runner was liable for any accidents incidents arising from the wearing of headphones.

Common sense. Maybe not the perfect solution, and I know it doesn't address the alarmist "what if a fleet of fire engines needed to get past" argument,  but its close enough for me.

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 21:37
08/04/2013 at 08:19
At last a thread that supports a race banning music devices.
I was commentating at an event at the weekend and runners coming in with music were oblivious to the applause of the crowd and my words of congratulations. And don't get me started on safety.....
08/04/2013 at 08:44

But GazOC is right. So long as the runner with headphones is liable for any accidents, that makes it ok that they tripped someone up and ruined the weeks of training and the race of someone else.  Rules like that are worthless, whereas Manchester have at least got a clear ruling. Bit of enforcement would help though.

08/04/2013 at 08:52
I attended a race recently where it was enforced and a few people who had previously worn earphones commented afterwards how much more enjoyable they found it without them
61 to 80 of 95 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.