Do they really mean it about no headphones at Manchester Marathon?

advice needed on whether to go ahead regardless

1 to 20 of 94 messages
04/04/2013 at 17:08

Hi, I see in the materials for Manchester Marathon that they are stipulating no headphones.  I've seen on various message boards that people just wear them anyway and don't take any notice.  Does anyone know if it is a real thing and they do take them off you or just in the small print and no-one does anything!?

I've done quite a few half's and other races with headphones with no problems and don't fancy doing the whole marathon without!

04/04/2013 at 17:11

i think they said no headphones last year too, but i heard rumours that plenty of people were wearing them. I suspect in reality they'll turn a blind eye unless your distraction causes some inconvenience for others, in which case they've got an easy excuse to DQ you.

04/04/2013 at 17:14

Thanks.  That's what I am hoping!  I've got these new Sony ones where the mp3 is in the headphones, so I will wear a hat!

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/04/2013 at 17:15

if you do cause an accident when racing though you will be totally liable no doubt as you ignored the safety advice given by the orgqanisers....

why not just obey the rules set and go without.you might actually enjoy the atmsphere.......

04/04/2013 at 17:24

presumably Hills is getting to the meaty bit of her 50 shades audiobook, and needs the raunch to help her round

04/04/2013 at 17:27
I gave up cheering at VLM last year as soooo many runners were using headphones. It made me wonder why they had gone to the trouble of putting their names on their vests (i assume to encourage support) yet preferred to ignore it in favour of their mp3 player
WiB
04/04/2013 at 17:35
Any truth that although the course is 26.2 I can just run 20? I have been asked to run the full course but I don't think race rules apply to me.
WiB
04/04/2013 at 17:50
WiB wrote (see)
Any truth that although the course is 26.2 I can just run 20? I have been asked to run the full course but I don't think race rules apply to me.

ouch! I see what you did there with your clever use of the "straw man"

04/04/2013 at 18:33
http://www.avrwiltshirehalfmarathon.org/includes/AVR_Half_Results_2012.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page! Not all races turn a blind eye!
seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/04/2013 at 18:36

abingdon also disqualifies people with  them

04/04/2013 at 19:03
seren nos wrote (see)

why not just obey the rules set and go without.you might actually enjoy the atmsphere.......

They might have to then talk to strangers tho !!!! How will they cope.

04/04/2013 at 19:06
Brilliant! That results list gave me a giggle.

I was thinking we hadn't had a headphones thread for a while.
Glad races are starting to do something about it.
04/04/2013 at 19:12

racing with headfones on is something i'll never understand.

You choose to do a race for the experience, yet you cut off most of it and run in your own little world,getting in the way of loads of people as you can't hear anything.

Thank goodness these types stay out of the way of the proper runners

04/04/2013 at 19:21
St Albans HM is no ear phones , I'm okay with that , I run alone to music for training , but park runs and events are too busy to zone out to music
04/04/2013 at 23:06

"Do they really mean it?"

No, clearly not.  Races have rules just for a laugh.

04/04/2013 at 23:12
I'm glad rules don't apply any more.
I'm going to pack my oyster card and see if I can come in at under 2:05 at London.
05/04/2013 at 00:58

don't worry about Hillary. They didn't seem bothered about the rule last year. Some people just like a weekly "headphones" threads to sound off about it.

(The above assumes you came here for an honest answer, not a lecture)

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 00:59
05/04/2013 at 07:06
I did the Manchester marathon last year in the worst weather conditions I have ever ran in, and it was the amazing crowd support, and it was amazing, that kept me going. Why would you want to miss that?
XB
05/04/2013 at 08:14

What Shiva said

I just don't understand why you think that this rule is optional. How would you feel if you got to 26.1 miles and they took you off the course and refused to let you finish? How would you feel if I warned you that your shoe lace was undone but you didn't hear me and ended up face-planting the tarmac?

05/04/2013 at 09:08

It seems like a very clearly stated rule. It is not one of those wishy washy statements saying that they would prefer you not to wear headphones.

"For reasons of safety and courtesy to your fellow runners we are not permitting headphones to be worn during the race. We have seen far too many cases of people obstructing others and not hearing requests or instructions due to them having headphones on. "

You could run your own marathon distance elsewhere if it is important to you? Why is this any different to any other race rule that the majority will abide by.

I won't be wearing headphone at VLM, however I will have my wife cycling next to me as my pacer, encouraging me on, supplying the drinks etc, and giving me the occassional 'backy' ride when I tire.

1 to 20 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.