"Down Tow Up Flow" Half-Marathon

22 July 2012

81 to 100 of 121 messages
17/07/2012 at 20:00

Curly...I've run the Marlow to Cookham section of that stretch a million times, there's about 10 gates to get through...loads of bogginess if any kind of rain fall, and some lovely Cows to get past.

What more could you ask for

17/07/2012 at 21:38

When was this billed as a fast race? Flat and scenic, yes, but not fast unless my memory is letting me down.

18/07/2012 at 08:32
YoungPup wrote (see)
Curly - what Wave are you in?

I'm planning to decide on the day between using this as chance to do a 13miles marathon paced effort, or racing it to see if I can get a PB. Either way, it's a stepping stone for me en route to the marathon in Sept, and hopefully it won't be peeing down for a change

YP Wave 1 - was aiming for 1:40 but like you may just slack off and run it to HMP effort (which I would expect given the terrain to be about MP in outcome).

Nevermind going to do the Battersea 10k on 4th August as a race instead - fast, flat and laps - my fav sort of course

Muttley - by some reviews I had read prior to entering Next time I will read into it more fully before I enter some unknown race.

Stevie cows oh dear could be stinky!

18/07/2012 at 14:08

Does anyone know what mile we hit Bourne End at? I need to give my spectators a rough time of arrival at Bourne End so they can have their Sunday morning lie in (wimps)

19/07/2012 at 21:42

I`ve heard all the best * runners are in Wave B.

*not said what in though.

19/07/2012 at 21:52

So, looks like the sun will be shining so just the mud under foot to worry about.  Should be a good laugh... like a few people I'm using this as a training run so makes a change not to have a pb to worry about - beats pounding the pavement AGAIN on a Sunday too.    See you all there!

Wave 2 by the way... said I'd do it in 1:50 - but reading the reviews would be happy with a sub 2hrs now!

20/07/2012 at 08:06

I really wanted a place to run on this, not worried about a time, just wanted to help a friend who is running her 1st half whos alittle nervous.

20/07/2012 at 13:08

Does anyone know the person who register for a run and cant run for some reason. I was waiting to join the run to last minut and now entries are closed.

20/07/2012 at 20:52

Lesboss we should be at mile 9 when we get to Bourne End (or there abouts).  That's where my supporters will be as well.  

Hope the mud dries out by Sunday!!

20/07/2012 at 21:32

Have heard from local friend that the mud is BAD. Bring it on......I am in Wave 3 and will be enjoying the view .

20/07/2012 at 22:16

I'm in wave 2 - said I'd run 2 hours. That would be a PB for me, but it may depend on how much mud there will be. I'm hoping 2-3 dry days and some sunshine will dry up the mud.

21/07/2012 at 08:58
Can someone with local knowledge comment on how much of the course is likely to be muddy? Are we talking a couple of miles, more than half the course, or substantially all of it?

Someone earlier talked about the bit along the Jubilee river being a shingle path, so that bit presumably will be fine?

I'm trying to decide on shoes........ Roclites or racers
21/07/2012 at 19:30

Afraid I don't know. I quote my friend "The river path is EXTREMELY muddy. You have been warned! I'm thinking quagmire once a few hundred feet have pounded it...." She lives in Bourne End. I am presuming that it won't be all terrible or they would have to cancel the race, but perhaps a fair section, a couple of miles or so. And yes, the Jubilee bit is shingle so fine.

21/07/2012 at 23:05

*crossing my fingers re the mud* Good luck everyone!

22/07/2012 at 06:53

The sun shining overhead, the mud squishing underfoot...sounds great!!

Good luck everybody!

22/07/2012 at 12:21

hope everyone had a good race.

Had forgotten this one was taking place, and ended up doing a couple of miles of my training run along the last bit of the route. Yeah some mud, but possible to avoid going through it.

Just hope that the little gang of cows that were loitering around one particular gate at 8.20am had moved on before 100s of you lot steamed towards them

ps a week on from last sunday, i only just realised there's a slightly obvious reason for the 8th and 9th k going from 3.13 to 4.20

8th k was 0.51m and 9th k was 0.73m!

I was gonna say...didn't feel that ridiculous a drop off! As long as the whole thing is accurate that's all that really matters.

Edited: 22/07/2012 at 12:28
22/07/2012 at 15:55
Well Stevie, the cows had moved on, so that was one less obstacle to deal with. Really disappointed with the lack of mud though, there were loads of gleaming white trainers about! Perfected my kissing gate technique by the end.

Had to do a bit of ad-hoc marshalling, when we passed 3 marshalls standing about, as the 4 guys ahead of me went shooting off up a hill in the wrong direction.
I shouted them back onto the course and we were back on towards Maidenhead. Hopefully the marshalls realised what their job was after that.

It was an Ok event. Not sure if I'd do it again as I often run that stretch of the Thames. I used today as part of a 23 mile long run, with the race in the middle. Pleased with 1:25, but as an event it felt low key, low energy, and little buzz.
22/07/2012 at 16:19

New PB for me by 9.5 mins, not too much mud thankfully. It might have added a minute or two as I had to walk single file early on and then was running side to side at times to avoid puddles. Enjoyed the run - but the terrain was quite tough on my knees in places.
Very friendly, seems to have been well organised - might give it a go next year - if it is dry I would expect to knock a fair bit of time off today's run.

22/07/2012 at 16:25

Well, I found that tough in the heat. My splits tell the story, with serious slowdown from mile 9 onwards. Lovely course as ever, and I enjoyed the bit through Dorney on the shingle track. I would have been happy with anything below 2 hrs and delighted with below 1 hr 55 and in the event did 2 hrs and one second by my Garmin - pah!

I wouldn't normally comment on the distance relative to what the Forerunner says but I did have an unusually large discrepancy at nearly 0.2 mile. And I recall one mile marker being well short, after which the distance wasn't made up. Interested to hear what others made of it.

But I'm not complaining. It was a nice day out in good company (hello Foxy Lady, hello Mr K), and a seriously fine medal.

Edited: 22/07/2012 at 16:25
22/07/2012 at 16:40

The heat didn't bother me that much and I was pleased to amble round at 2 hours 8 minutes or thereabouts- didn't have my watch, the clock said 2.18, but I started in Wave 3 so about that. I reckon 5-10 minutes was spent crossing bridges/going through gates/drinking water (great to have those water stations, definitely needed and appreciated ) so I'm quite chuffed with that time. It was good being in wave 3, caught up with the first blue runner between mile 2 and 3, then a group at mile 6, then overtook quite a few on the way to the finish. Will be back for more, I definitely slowed down, at mile 6 a spectator shouted "you're still in line for under 2 hours" so I think I prob added a minute a mile or more from that point, or from mile 8 more like.

81 to 100 of 121 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.