"Down Tow, Up Flow" Thames Towpath Half-Marathon

81 to 100 of 135 messages
23/07/2007 at 14:05
Yup ... I swung by this thread to see if the race is still on. The route of the Thames Run was apparently 60 per cent under water because of a flood surge moving down the river. And it's peeing down outside as I type ...

I hope this event goes ahead but honestly I'd be surprised if it does.
23/07/2007 at 14:08
Hi everyone,

Sorry - just back from a fell race in the Brecon Beacons (v. good!).

Obviously there are concerns about the race now, but I just wanted to let you all know that we are monitoring it very carefully and will be in touch directly very soon. I will email everyone to say that we will make a final decision on Saturday. We are looking at all our options and as we are not people who give in easily .... it will have to be a complete no-no before we give up on it. (anyway, we're hardened fell runners now :-)!)

Cyber - really sorry to hear about your injury - hope it clears up quickly.

Speak to you all again if/when I know more.......

Tigeress - congratulations!!!
23/07/2007 at 20:31
I hope it won't get cancelled....It would be a shame....I have been looking forward to this race for ages....Fingers Crossed;-)
23/07/2007 at 20:51
Drat ! - I cant see any replies to my request for a sub 2 hours runner - shame about the cancellation risk - will race director kindly advise by Friday? Thanks

Drat ! - I cant see any replies to my request for a sub 2 hours runner - shame about the cancellation risk - will race director kindly advise by Friday? Thanks

23/07/2007 at 22:08
Suki
I have done half marathon in 1 hour and 50 mins. I am planning to do this one on 1 hour and 45 mins. But the risk with me is, that I might get a stitch and walk for a while. I don't know what to do about this stich. Very annoying!!!
24/07/2007 at 08:11
Sorry Suki - Ron FASTER not Ron Frazer from BA.
24/07/2007 at 13:48
Suki, that's one hell of a stammer you have :-)
24/07/2007 at 18:15
Thanks Claire so do I, I'm still hopeful of running on Sunday if the race goes ahead, but at the mo it looks doubtfull.
24/07/2007 at 18:20
Tigeress, I'm sure we can find someway to Cheer each other up.

Just think if this was a tough challenge Rory Colman would be doing somersaults with glee at the thought of us running through 13 miles of water.
24/07/2007 at 18:56
Cyber im certain we will. LOL
24/07/2007 at 21:18
Claire,just ran from m/head to the m/way bridge past bray lock.everything is nice and dry,although the river is quite high.They have put a gate at that diversion around the lock though,or has that always been there
24/07/2007 at 21:32
Suki - this will be my first attempt at a half marathon & am aiming at sub 2H - will be runner no 148 (and am not claire, but claire's husband Galen!!!) Feel free to introduce yourself if the run does go ahead ...
25/07/2007 at 09:44
I sometimes include part of this course in my longer runs. Last night mile marker 1 to mile marker 3 was a bit "soggy"
25/07/2007 at 10:19
Snakehips - yes we were along that way ourselves and as you say it is still dry. The gate after the diversion is new, but we are having a water station there and it will be kept open while the runners go through. By the way, There is a chance that the diversion will disappear by the weekend (just to add to the mix!), but the contractors are going to ring us to confirm so that we can re-adjust.

Keeping a very watchful eye on things and preparing contingency plans for all scenarios - should have been a general!!
25/07/2007 at 13:28
Hate to put a dampner on the positive vibes, but I've just heard from my Mum (at 1.00pm today) that the water is nearly up to the railway line on Coldmoorholme Lane (before the Bourne End marina), and that the benches along the towpath are submerged.

Presumably this could be gone by Sunday morning though.

Is anyone else contemplating running in wellies?
25/07/2007 at 13:39
Hi Mike, Yes, Spade Oak area (Bourne End) is completely under water, sadly! This means it is very unlikely we will be able to have the start along the towpath. However, we do have an alternative cunning plan. We aren't going to publish this until Saturday in case things change, to avoid too much confusion. We will email everyone, but please feel free to contact us on 07919 612127 / 07860 650579 if you haven't heard by 12 noon on Saturday. We are still planning to go ahead at this stage.
25/07/2007 at 13:47
Glad to hear it Claire! I take it the plan is as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Thanks for the numbers - will keep an eye on email etc on Sat. Keeping my fingers crossed.
81 to 100 of 135 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.