Downland 30 Ultra Challenge

I must be mad!!!!

21 to 40 of 41 messages
25/07/2005 at 14:41
Hi all,

Thinking about entering on the day so I haven't seen the route. Just wondering whether I need to run out and buy an OS map just in case.
If so any which one Landranger 198 or Explorer 122. I bought one recently and the route went off the edge of the map which was a bit annoying.

Dave

25/07/2005 at 21:00
Hi
I bought the explorer 122 a few days ago,which shows the whole route.Most of it is run along the south downs which is normally well signposted.Well worth buying a map to study a few days before, so you can get your bearings.
25/07/2005 at 21:05
Sorry
Its run along the south downs way.
27/07/2005 at 14:24
Hi all, a quick question for those taking part; what are you carrying for drinks/snacks etc?
I'm torn beetween carrying a rucksac with a bladder containing energy drink gels mobile warm top to replace vest if it gets wet/cold or running in shorts vest with a water bottle on a belt with a gel or two and maybe a cereal bar or two.
does anyone know what fluids are provided at the water stations? if it's just water i may bring some powder in a bag to top up my energy drink (sis go)

what times are ppl aiming for?

I have just got over a few small injuries and have only done gentle training since completing the london marathon in 3:25 so hoping for around 5 hours maybe a bit more

not long now
27/07/2005 at 19:06
I'm considering entering on the day. I've run a few 4hr marathons but this would be my first ultra, so I'm quite nervous - any advice on what to carry would be most welcome.

I'm thinking I would carry a small rucksack with a 2 litre bladder and plenty of food. Its about 7-8 miles between drinks stations on this one, which for me is well over an hour and the forecast for Sunday is warm and sunny.

I'd be aiming to mostly run with some walking, probably about 5.5 hours

Nick
Woj
27/07/2005 at 20:27
Agreed Nick.
I did this one last year about 5.45 suffered with lack of water towards end
Obviously weather today is very wet, last year was hot and water stops were quite far between.
Most of it is 'run/jog-able' but as usual there are a few stretches where you need to walk [think just after crossing the A27]
not sure exact road get muddled up with the South Downs events
27/07/2005 at 21:44
Nick,

Sounds like there might be a few of us around the same speed. I tried carrying a bottle around the Rutland Venture off road marathon last week, which worked ok, but I used about 2 litres of liquid which meant filling up at the checkpoints. Like the bladder idea, which one have you got. Would be interested to hear whats its like. This will be my first Ultra as well.

Should be fun.

Dave
27/07/2005 at 22:27
Its a "Storm Shield" rucksack, brand new from Millets today. Felt comfortable on a test run tonight but only time will tell what its really like after 5+ hours! Just big enough to carry a couple of malt loaves and some plasters plus the water.
28/07/2005 at 14:00
i have a lowe alpine contour event witha 3ltr baldder which is 35 lts and a bit big for this event but is quite light and very stable when running, i am used to it.

will prob take 3ltrs of sis go with a few cereal bars mobile phone map and jacket in case the weather turns.

aiming for about 5-6hrs
28/07/2005 at 15:49
i''ve never done an ultra, am a five hour marathoner - is it frowned on to run/ walk these??
29/07/2005 at 15:31
This will be my first attempt at this race, too, although I've done a few similar events before.

As there are three places where we can get water, I'm just going to carry a 500ml bottle of water which I can refill quickly. It shouldn't be TOO hot on Sunday and, for me, the extra effort and heat-creation of carrying a rucksack with 2 litres and therefore 2kg of water in it, would offset the benefit of having more to drink.

I'll also carry a few cereal / Nutrigrain bars.

I agree that the route description sounded complicated and I couldn't make sense of all of it when looking at the map, but if it's mostly just following the SDW, it should be quite straight forward... should be... !

see you on Sunday, then. :-)
01/08/2005 at 07:43
Well, I managed it - 4 hours 34 mins, 23rd place (not sure out of how many).

And it was tough! Very 'undulating' and the worst thing is you can see what's coming up from miles away - and you can see the little specs that are the people in front of you. But a nice route although cloudy conditions meant the views weren't as good as they could have been.

The weather for my last 5 miles was appalling - torrential rain, but I'm really glad I did it and 'enjoyed' it in a masochistic sort of way. Having said that, I was pretty warm all the way around, it realy was quite humid.

All the organisers/marshalls were very friendly which was great for a first timer, so thanks!

And it hasn't put me off the London to Brighton!
01/08/2005 at 09:26
I agree with much of what Tanner said (& well done!)

I, too, enjoyed this race and was pleasantly surprised at my time: 4:52 (& 5th lady!). I lost quite a bit of time on the last 'quarter', though.

I walked up most of the hill straight after the last drinks station, having run all of the rest of the route, but then that long pull up to Ditchling Beacon. I managed to run as far as the road crossing to the carpark. When I stopped to open the gate, suddenly everything HURT and I had to walk a little bit again. Heavy rain made it hard to see (but I'm getting quite good at running with my eyes closed!) and turned the path into an orange/brown stream. But then it was downhill (at last!) and I saw the windmills... and the finishing field... and Hurrah!

Excellent, well organised, small, low key, friendly event.

How did the rest of you get on?
01/08/2005 at 14:58
decided i hadn't put enough miles in since flm and stayed away. rather glad i did seeing leaf and tanner's times - both much faster than my flm time of 5:05 so i think i'd have been last by a long way - well done to the hardy and fit souls who did it
01/08/2005 at 18:26
Do the results get posted anywhere?
01/08/2005 at 20:46
I've just had them sent to me so you can find them:

by clicking here for the 30 mile or by clicking here for the 5 mile results
01/08/2005 at 20:51
i too completed it and i was happy to do it in 4hrs 46mins. As was said earlier the last 5 miles was horendous with heavy rain and even heavier legs. I have aching muscles and joints were i never thought i had them before
01/08/2005 at 21:47
Hi I too comlpleted it but really suffered for not doing enough long runs due to injury!
still a good challenging run in some nice! weather!!!
certainly no flat stuff not even level most of the time,
I did 5 hrs 45ish
may come back again next year if it runs just to better my time.
01/08/2005 at 21:49
Hi, had been thinking of doing this, but as it happens would not have been able to due to severe bout food poisoning.
Will def. consider next year as saw finishing times of 8 hours +. Bit put off by guide saying last years slowest time was 6 hours, which would have counted me out.
01/08/2005 at 21:51
Whoops - sorry - of course mega congratulations to all who did it, the times sound awesome.
21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.