Downland 30 Ultra Challenge

I must be mad!!!!

1 to 20 of 41 messages
15/02/2005 at 09:07
Hi has anyone done this event before, if yes what's it like....I'd like to do the London to Brigthon next year and this looks like a good event for training ;-)
15/02/2005 at 09:47
I've done this a couple of times - it's my local event so have too really. There's usually less than a 100 runners, it starts in a playing field at the foot of the south downs, and there's a steep climb up to the south downs way. Then, it's 15 miles following the south downs way over undulating, chalk paths through mostly beautiful countryside with great views, until you get to Itford farm, then turn round and run back. There's a couple of hard long climbs in each direction, and by the time you get to the yellow brick road (a straight concrete farm track that just climbs and climbs, gently, forever) you'll need your mental strength! The organisation is low key, there's only three water stations en route (this is the end of July so it can be very hot) so you'll need to carry a bottle and keep it topped up. Last year I took some extra water to Ditchling Beacon and ran an unofficial water station for my club mates! There's not much in the way of marshalling although the SDW is reasonably well marked.

Overall I would say it was a friendly, low key event, and it would be excellent endurance training for the London-Brighton. Just remember to take extra water and sun screen. They recommend a minimum of a 5-hr marathon before entering. It's certainly not one to do if you are undertrained or carrying an injury, as dropping out would be difficult other than at the water stations.

If you do do it, good luck. I'll probably do the 5 mile race instead this year.
15/02/2005 at 09:53
Cheers skip, thats a big help, I shall work on the marathon first, doing Halstead in May so will see what time i managed there.
15/02/2005 at 09:53
lurk

oh

cant do a sub 5 marathon

yet
15/02/2005 at 10:37
PH - 5 hrs was a recommendation, not a requirement. If you aren't far off at that pace and have the endurance to keep going then it would be worth considering. (but there wont be much company out there)
15/02/2005 at 10:39
Im used to being at the back
and last
managed 30 miles in 6.04 a month ago-but that was flat
05/04/2005 at 22:49
Hi I'm doing london this year and aiming for around 3:30 considering doing this as my next challenge.

will keep popping in to say hi and any new info would be good cheers.
06/05/2005 at 20:53
I quite fancy this one and may leave my entry until the day due to potential 'other committments'. As long as I dont get lost on the route - it should be a great event (scenic and the like).
Woj
06/05/2005 at 21:03
Did this last year, entered on the day.

It was very warm and like most events on the South Downs very scenic.

Also quite impressive is the fact that it is out and back [15 e/w] and the lead runners were flying back past me before I got to 11 or so!!!

Hopefully will be doing this one again.
07/05/2005 at 07:09
<lurk>

Want company for this one, Hipps?
23/05/2005 at 11:47
Hello all,

What is this race like for navigation? Is it an easy route or do you need to follow printed directions and map?
Woj
24/05/2005 at 19:59
Alan, This one is quite straight forward to follow compared to MD33.

As it is along the South Downs, there is really only one route to follow. Just make sure you keep the one in front in sight!

Might do this one again.
24/05/2005 at 20:05
ok thanks.

I've just printed the entry form so it looks like I'll have the cheque book out tonight ;-)
10/06/2005 at 22:40
Hi every one, is this a race that you seem to be running on your own for most of it or do you usually have other runners in view
11/06/2005 at 13:41
luuuurrkkiiing

If Hipps will I will.
12/06/2005 at 19:35
Hipps will be in Cyprus! Is there anyone else out there who is tempted, but is really slow??
03/07/2005 at 22:53
bear b hind i am tempted and i am really slow. did flm in 5h 05, i am doing chichester challenge on july 17th so may see how that goes before finally deciding. certainly i will be walking up any steep hills, reckon i will take about 6h30 for sure
04/07/2005 at 13:41
db - that's still quicker than me!! Am doing 50 Mile Challenge on 17th so might be a bit too much too soon. Will decide week after.
10/07/2005 at 10:07
I entered and I've just got race intructions and they look incredibly complicated!
I know it's not well marshalled, but can anyone advise whether the route is well signposted? Do you have to carry the map all the way round to make sure you follow the right route (the instructions are ver very detailed).

I got the OS map for the area but still can't follow the whole route from the instructions!

Help please.
10/07/2005 at 10:53
Hi Tanner I have not done this one before but the instructions are probbably more complicated to read than to follow, it should be ok. bring an os map just in case so you can check your position but the instructions are probbably very good.
failing that find someone who is going at your pace who can read a map well.
1 to 20 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.