Downland Ultra 30 Mile Challenge

1 to 20 of 40 messages
11/06/2012 at 12:57
I am thinking about entering this challenge-but am totally rubbish at map reading/navigation :-/ Does anyone know if its a fairly "easy" route to follow or is signposted? Cheers
18/06/2012 at 09:48

Me too, although I haven't done this race (aborted with a torn muscle 5m in last year so trying again this year), I know the route well. It's dead easy.......and it's an out and back course anyway so whatever speed you are there will be people around (unfortunately in my case coming in the opposite direction on their way home.....)

19/06/2012 at 17:11

Thanks thats fab! I won't need to go out a buy a compass then! I've sent off my form today. I'll be with you at the back. Lets hope the weather is good to us. 

21/06/2012 at 07:41

Not too hot hopefully..........the Downs are difficult when it's baking, exposed and dusty. Doesn't look like much prospect of that this 'summer' though  Ran on part of the route last night funnily enough. Love it.

02/07/2012 at 17:43

I’m considering doing this as my first Ultra having only done one marathon before (Brighton 2012). Was just wondering how good a course this is for a beginner and how hilly it is? Did the Mara in 4:30 so would like to finish by 6:30 does this sound reasonable?

Edited: 02/07/2012 at 17:44
02/07/2012 at 18:40

Doable but it is a hilly course. Another thing to note is there are only a three water stops , well two but you do one twice.

03/07/2012 at 12:26

Would have thought 2hrs on top of a road marathon is well within reach (I might regret saying that). It is hilly, but lots of nice downhill bits to make up time on......and most of the slopes on this route are not as severe as some other parts of the Downs. I haven't done this race but have run all parts of the route many times - save a bit as I think coming back will be harder than going out........and also likely to be into the prevailing wind

03/07/2012 at 13:01

Oh sod it, I'm in - sending off entry this afternoon.   Marty, it's my first ultra too, so I'll see how I go - hopefully not too bad though as I'm down for another (longer) one in Sep.    Happy to hear that navigation is "dead easy" - though I'll believe that when I see it.

04/07/2012 at 06:00
Old Gwasshopper wrote (see)

".and most of the slopes on this route are not as severe as some other parts of the Downs" ?

The start is round the playing field and straight up the side of Ditchling Beacon

04/07/2012 at 07:07

.......apart from the first bit.....)

Actually the Beacon is a couple of miles further on (and further up !). Seriously, I don't think, apart from the silly start, that this is the worst hillage on the Downs, but not going to pretend its easy.

Hope I can complete after DNF last year as not done an ultra yet (unless 27m counts !)

Edited: 04/07/2012 at 07:56
04/07/2012 at 10:07
Did this last in the build up for running L2B the start is a killer but after that it mostly downhill out the up hill comin back apart from the first hill tho there not steep just go on and on good prep for bigger distances tho
04/07/2012 at 11:06

Yellow Brick Road

05/07/2012 at 21:50

Yep , agree apart from the start most of the hills are rolling (quite long but not steep), really want my sub 4hr this time. Should of had it last time but ran some of the downs on the way out stupidly fast as I was having fun and crashed on the way back. 

06/07/2012 at 10:57

Sub 4 for this is stupidly fast full stop ! I'll be happy with anything under 5.........

Ran part of the route on Wednesday evening, mist came down severely and could only see c10 yards ahead, so kept coming across lively cows and calves on the track who weren't expecting to see me etc - quite eerie too. Also much muddier than usual for this time of year, but will be dryish as long as it doesn't rain for 2-3 days beforehand (seems unlikely given current pattern !)

06/07/2012 at 12:32

It'll be like doing the 3 Forts again then! 

09/07/2012 at 07:47

10/07/2012 at 17:24

I've got some injuries. Can anyone tell me about entry on the day? Is it likely to be okay? (I know it can't be guaranteed but just wondering how full this one gets) - thanks

11/07/2012 at 08:39

Pretty sure I entered on the day last year and no hassle at all. There is an entry limit of 150, but only 100 or so entered last year (according to the results page) so unlikely to be a problem I'd suggest.

11/07/2012 at 12:51

I'm also thinking that with this weather it will put a few off - thanks - i know most of the route really well, so won't be a problem navigating - just depends on my poor old knee and hip!

11/07/2012 at 14:21

Hope it's OK......I've picked up a knee problem since my last race (from cricket, not running) but still hoping to turn up as want to do this event as a first ultra rather than a slightly long marathon (ie finish in a reasonable condition etc !)

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.