Doyen of the Downs 30

End of year fun run?

21 to 40 of 82 messages
03/10/2010 at 23:28

I ran L2B and Doyen last year and really enjoyed both.

Unfortunately Extreme have priced me out of their market for me to return.

Jelly baby - Doyen not much harder than Beachy, even with the rain and mud.    

07/10/2010 at 13:53
So what makes it worth the entrance fee? I just ran the marathon on the Isle of Wight for £12. What's makes this so special?
08/10/2010 at 19:18

I ran the inaugrual race in 2008 and then last year too. The first one was great as it was my first ultra and I didn't know what to expect. Last year was less attractive as many of the areas were flooded and the course was redirected on a less challenging and more boring route. 1st time round was cheap. It went up last year. It is now £49!!!! Ridiculous. It is for what? An assortment of corner shop biscuits in the latter stages, water and a t-shirt and shot glass.

There is a lovely photo of me running through the frosty stages of 2008 on their website but Extreme Running have been equally frosty with me. Within 24 hours of signing up for another event, L2B, I was given a work committment that I could not change. They refused to refund my money (£86!) and refused to defer me a year and even when I requested that they allow me to enter a much cheaper event of theirs (Brighton Trail marathon - £35) and keep my entry fee they did not return any of my 6 emails.

Ultra running is a close-knit community and I hear more and more negative press about these guys at runs across the country. If they treat their customers so badly, these races will be the stuff for first time ultra-runners and those that are not affected by these austere times. One interesting point is that following such negative comments on their own forum, they shut it down. What message does that send to us Ultra-Runners? 

Check out LDWA events as these are well stocked events for water/food and support........ or for the ultimate challenge, including such a huge amount of food (jacket potatoes, soup, quiche, sandwiches, hot dogs, tea, coffee, chocolate, energy gels and every other food you could think of at 9 checkpoints - the Ridgeway 85 miler (best race in 2010!) Only £37.50. 

I am not going to run an Extreme Running event until these guys lower their prices to realistic levels and provide a level of customer service that even the VLM can do with 35,000 entrants!!!

I am doing the winter tanners as an LDWA member - £3 entrance fee! 

18/10/2010 at 10:21

Hmmm, I've heard mixed reviews - and they haven't replied to a couple of emails. I think i'll probably still do it, unless anyone can recommend an event down south in december of around 30 miles?

Also, what shoes would you recommend for this? I did beachy head last year in my road shoes (it was a very very last minute entry) and they were, as expected, totally inappropriate. Something like the inov8 mudclaw, or something a bit less mud specific?

Cheers

JB

GKD
18/10/2010 at 10:55
JB there's a few of us doing the winter tanners in the first week of January, it's organised by the LDWA and it's cheap as chips
GKD
23/10/2010 at 15:10
And that will be a nice warm up for the thames trot 50 and SDW 103 in the summer!
25/10/2010 at 08:30
Just done the Founders on Tanners ground. Damn that was tough!
01/11/2010 at 15:14

Hi ultrab and benyo

Like you guys I did the L2B and the DotD last year - both great races but not for the support/goodies. I thought the L2B at £80+ quid was ridiculous but the DotD for £47 .... last year I got a shot glass and 2 stale bourbons! Sticking to better supported/managed races now.

Who is up for the London Ultra and Thames Trot next year?

GKD
01/11/2010 at 15:17
David there's fairly well supported threads for both of those running at the moment, I think the Trot particularly has caught a fair bit of interest, at the moment I'm waiting to see if something else pans out before I throw my hat in too.
GKD
04/11/2010 at 08:57

For anyone that doesn't know - doyen of the Downs has been cancelled.  I only found this out by accident - the organisers haven't thought to email all those who have actually entered to tell us this.

Winter Tanners it is then.  Saved myself some money too

04/11/2010 at 09:01
what?????!!!!! ive booked my feckin accomodation and everything!!!  thanks, how did you find out??
04/11/2010 at 10:15

has it been cancelled???

04/11/2010 at 11:13
04/11/2010 at 12:45

It's on the website.  i'm amazed they didn't think to email us all. - http://www.extremerunning.org/index.php?page=Doyen%20of%20the%20Downs

06/11/2010 at 22:09

Really disappointed to see this is cancelled. Anyone have any ideas for other events on the same date?

Highly recommend LDWA events- Founders was brilliant.

18/11/2010 at 14:04
Furious about the way the organisers have handled this. It was cancelled on about 4 November (first time I noticed it on the website) and despite emailing them to complain I've heard nothing about refunds. What's the point of giving them all those contact details if they can't be bothered to use them. Not convinced by the official excuse (blaming reluctant landowners) either
18/11/2010 at 17:35
After the sudden and unexpected cancellation of the Doyen of the Downs race we needed to find an alternative, as I'd committed to raise £5000 for a very good cause. So I decided to create a marathon route from Clapham Common to Box Hill. It is mostly off-road through parks and footpaths, culminating with a stiff climb up to the 623ft summit of Box Hill and a final steep descent to the finish. There is good public transport at both ends.

This is a completely informal, unmarshalled, disorganised event. But if you too have been wondering what to do instead of the Doyen of the Downs, in return for a donation to the charity (follow the website link - no matter how small your donation) I will send you a link to a detailed route map. I think it will be a lot of fun.
18/11/2010 at 17:59

Great idea Arthur! Good luck with it.

I am afraid I have commited to a family party this weekend now, but I wish you well and hope you get lots of interest and raise your money for charity. Perhaps you could do it next year too? So few events on this time of year.

Anyone heard anything about a refund yet from the organisers of Doyens?? Where do we stand on this?

18/11/2010 at 19:07
Good work Arthur. I was left in a similar situation so am doing something similar (sadly on road and probably on my own) the following weekend from London to Horsham. Hope yours goes well.
19/11/2010 at 08:11
Thanks for the support! If it goes well might make this an annual fixture. Fed up with paying loads to a company that then pockets the lot and scarpers.
21 to 40 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.