Dublin 2012

Let's get this thread up & running!

201 to 220 of 285 messages
17/10/2012 at 19:45

hope your recover fast Redjeep! Keep the ice, elevation and compression going and everything crossed for you!! 

18/10/2012 at 21:08

Gutted for you Redjeep. I had a similar situation last year where my ankle buckled playing football. I thought I had broken it and was in agony and could barely walk. Fortunately RICE did the business and I was back running in a week.

Another good training week so far for me. The legs feel like they still have some bounce and with a whole week of little running next week to come I am hoping they will be like springs come race day.6 miles tonight at race pace and again was only in the later stages of the run I was getting a nice rythmn, Trying to drinks lots of water at the moment and eat well.

19/10/2012 at 13:20
Sounds like ya looking good Will, the hard bit will be holding back when the gun goes off, it's sooo important to get the 1st few miles bang on target, better to be a few seconds per mile slower than faster as It will come and get you later. It's hard but be patient early doors. Half way you should be feeling like you only just started, still ok at 18 pick it up there to gain a bit.

Fingers crossed we all stay fit and well! Starting to wish the days away now.
19/10/2012 at 20:54

Great advice Muzza, simple but its the easiest thing to forget. I've decided I will run alongside the 3h30 pacers for at least the first 15 miles and that will stop me doing anything stupid or throwing in any crazy miles. In my last half marathon (which I pb'd in 1h35:04) I got the pacing spot on and it was such a great feeling overtaking people in the last few miles and hitting my fastest mile as the last one

19/10/2012 at 21:31
1.35 half you should breeze 3.30 if you get it right on the day! I usually double and add 10 mins or 10% as a good rule. Just don't get tangled up in a big group of 3.30 runners, u run wide on corners and people get in the way you will end up running 26.7+ that's an extra 4 mins at 8 min miles. That's the only bad thing about city marathons, even at London sub 3 pace ill cover 26.5m or so. It's like running around a 400m track on the outside lane if you see what I mean?
20/10/2012 at 13:08

Hey, have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks now, and with a just a week to go until the big day, thought it was about time I said hello!  Will be my second marathon, but first time visiting Dublin, so really looking forward to it, especially a few pints of the black stuff on Monday night!

Final training run this morning - contrary to all of the advice on here (sorry!), was aiming to for a 20-miler, but only managed 10 before ankle started to give me some jip (damn that pothole!!!).  Slightly concerned that I've only managed that magic '20' once during my training programme, but hopefully the crowd, atmosphere, and sheer bloody mindedness will get through on the day!  Anyway, good luck everyone!  Now off to wrap myself up in cotton wool for a week!!

20/10/2012 at 14:56

Welcome st_timmy. I would say you had a lucky break with your ankle forcing an end to your run. To have done a 20 miler today would have been suicidal and would have pretty much ruined your race as you would never have recovered in time. You've done one 20 miler which is all I needed to complete sub 4 last year. Much better to be undertrained rather than over trained.

20/10/2012 at 15:17
Ill 2nd Will, nice one ankle! Hope it recovers for next week.
20/10/2012 at 16:36

Isn't the quote "Its much better to be undertrained and fit rather than overtrained and injured"?

9 days to go. It's like counting down to Christmas. We will be checking out the long range weather forecasts before long.

20/10/2012 at 20:59

BBC Weather Forecast

Monday 29 Oct  7/17°C45/63°F -1/14°C30/57°F 21km/h13mph West South Westerly Sunrise 07:19 Sunset 16:57 

Weather forecast details for Monday 29 October TimeDay Night Weather Conditions Temperature (°C/°F) Highest temperature: 7°C45°F to 17°C63°F Lowest temperature:
-1°C

http://uk.weather.com/weather/dailyDetails-Dublin-EIXX0014?dayNum=9

Monday, 29 October

Day   High 10°C Mostly Sunny Wind From West South West at 23 kmph Maximum Humidity 79% UV Index 1 Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. High. 13°C Record High     N/A Sunrise 07:19 Night Low 5°C Partly Cloudy Wind From Southwest at 18 kmph Maximum Humidity 90% Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. Low 7°C Record Low N/A Sunset 16:58  
Edited: 20/10/2012 at 21:06
20/10/2012 at 23:58
Jim Holmes 3 wrote (see)

BBC Weather Forecast

Monday 29 Oct  7/17°C45/63°F -1/14°C30/57°F 21km/h13mph West South Westerly Sunrise 07:19 Sunset 16:57 

Weather forecast details for Monday 29 October TimeDay Night Weather Conditions Temperature (°C/°F) Highest temperature: 7°C45°F to 17°C63°F Lowest temperature:
-1°C

http://uk.weather.com/weather/dailyDetails-Dublin-EIXX0014?dayNum=9

Monday, 29 October

Day   High 10°C Mostly Sunny Wind From West South West at 23 kmph Maximum Humidity 79% UV Index 1 Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. High. 13°C Record High     N/A Sunrise 07:19 Night Low 5°C Partly Cloudy Wind From Southwest at 18 kmph Maximum Humidity 90% Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. Low 7°C Record Low N/A Sunset 16:58  

Looking good. Just need to get my ankle sorted in time now. It's definitely improving each day.

Thanks for the good will wishes everyone.

22/10/2012 at 12:32

Hello everyone - I know I am a tad late to this forum (this is my first forum post on any topic ever) can anyone tell me if they do the breakfast run on the Sunday? is it worth it? or is it better to rest?

22/10/2012 at 12:37

Thanks Will / Muzza - advice definitely heeded now!

22/10/2012 at 17:18
Breakfast run is only 3.6k so it won't hurt to do it, take no risks but there usually just a bit of fun not a race.
22/10/2012 at 19:53

Ok thanks

23/10/2012 at 13:17

Getting really excited now.....i am working the rest of the week,but have a day off today...so i have spent the last wee while printing off Marathon Acceptance slip, boarding passes for flight, hotel confirmation, maps for hotel, EXPO and also marathon route!!!!  AAaaaaagghhhh...I CAN'T WAIT...!!!!!

Only three more training runs...and then 'breakfast run' on Sunday and then we are there!! Hope everyone is feeling good and ready...

23/10/2012 at 20:43

Weather looks to be cool and dry for Monday with 13 mph wind - remember you can bring old outer clothes to wear before the start and dump them as they collect them for charity during the day

3 x 1 Km today at 4:45 pace with 2 minute walk  between each - 8Km tomorrow = got a sore foot but only hurts after running

23/10/2012 at 20:47

I'm feeling like you Dave, it's like being a kid waiting for christmas. Taking it so easy this week. I haven't run since Sunday and only planning a couple of miles tomorrow and Thursday.Have decided to avoid all caffeine this week too. I think I have become borderline obessive about my preparation.

I just booked a nice Italian Restaurant for 7pm Sunday which seems to have a nice menu and is pretty central. My flight doesn't get me in until 2pm so the breakfast run is out for me

Weather forecasts are still looking very good although it's obviously still very early yet. I like the prediction of a 10% chance of rain.

23/10/2012 at 21:09
TimeDayNight Weather Conditions Temperature (°C/°F) Highest temperature: 7°C45°F to 12°C54°F Lowest temperature: 1°C34°F to 10°C50°F Wind Speed (mph/km/h) 13km/h8mph West North Westerly 19km/h12mph North North Westerly Wind Direction WNW NNW Humidity 79% 79%
23/10/2012 at 23:54
Ill take those conditions Jim, but think ill wait till Sundays forecast before I trust anything they say!

Just take everything so that we're prepared whatever turns up. I think vest/shorts and maybe gloves could be about it, may even use arm warmers as you can roll them down and use then as gloves once you have warmed up a bit.

A little run tomoz massage and rest day Thursday 3-4m run fri with a few strides fly sat and breakfast run Sunday. That's the plan, really cut down on food this week then sat I can have almost what I like. Hopefully this calf/foot niggle buggers off! I raced like a donkey on Sunday legs felt crap, knocked my confidence a little but I'm hoping Monday will be a better day in the office.
201 to 220 of 285 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.