Dublin Marathon 2013

181 to 200 of 415 messages
19/09/2013 at 20:12

Sausage Roll - Do you not have a midweel long slow run? Most programs have a 10+ miler midweek as well

20/09/2013 at 13:25
Yeah jim i do...this week is just a step back week in prep for the 20 miler on sunday...my peak weeks were typical of the following...mon-rest tues-6 wed-8 thur-6 fri-rest sat-long run sunday- crosstraining (eliptical crosstrainer 45 mins)....next week im scheduled for 5-8-5 then 12 next sat...peaking at 21 in a fortnjghts time....my peak weeks was putting in 35-38 miles...had bother with my knees (illotibial band).early august..foamroller saved my marathon ....hopefully...
20/09/2013 at 17:11

Hi All, I heard AV Brand Denon are giving away free wireless headphones?? Does Anyone know if this is really true!! surely be  too good to be true!?!

http://www.denon.eu/pink_uk

Edited: 20/09/2013 at 22:17
22/09/2013 at 11:31

Yesterday's nearly 18 mile run was a tough one as it was really humid in Brighton & I included some hills (prob more than needed) to try to replicate the DM course. I think Elm Grove may have been overkill as it's really steep and nearly broke me at the 13.5 mile point but luckily the flat then downhill bits after revived my little leggies.

My pace was a bit faster than target 'coach' set and was 4:09 marathon pace. I know I couldn't sustain it for 26.2miles but it implies I may be able to get a faster time than I was aiming for (4:28) if I have a good race.

Achy legs this morning....

22/09/2013 at 12:31

Hi Anne, I have done the Dublin Marathon3 times (this will be me 4th) and the course is relatively flat. There is a hill around 8 mile after leaving Phoenix Park at Chapelizoid and there is  amuch shorter hill at 21 Mile (Roebuck Road) that is called Heatbreak Hill but it only gets name because it is as the 'wall' appears. Saying that there is great benefit in having hills in your training. I did 28Km yesterday on a 1Km circuit that has a 250m incline each lap and I am sure it helps.

That is 9 consecutive sessions for me so I am off to the pub to Watch the All-Ireland final as tomorrow is a day off. If you can do 17 Miles at 4:09 pace then you can go much quicker in the marathon as you are pushing yourself at the moment and you will be rested for the actual marathon (never underestimate the power of tapering)

I am trying for a sub 3:45 and I did 28 Km in 2:43:46 which is nowhere near my marathon pace. I think you should be looking at 4:00

22/09/2013 at 12:37

46 miles last week - My tapering has begun here is next weeks sessions

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 5 x 1Km

Wednesday: 16Km LSR

Thursday: 8Km

Friday: 6Km Templo Run

Saturday: 8Km Run

Sunday: 24Km Run

I'm 53 and quite overweight (15st 10/5feet 10 Inch) so I need to taper slowly and early so I am OK on the day - My times for my last 3 Dublin Marathons are 4:30/4:28/3:58 and I hope to break 3:45 this time

22/09/2013 at 17:20

Hi Guys,

I'm running the Dublin Marathon this year...my first marathon.... Myself and my training partner have done a 16mile last week, 14 mile today which was a level 3 with a lot of hill work....  Next week 28th a 16mile then we are doing the Bournemouth marathon which we will only be completing 18-20miles of the race as our last long race... Then it that will bring us 3 weeks before the Marathon.

What advice would you give for the 3 weeks before? Would be great full of any tips nutrition and training..

Thanks.

22/09/2013 at 19:38
Managed my 20 miler today at 2.49..didnt enjoy the run as didnt hydrate enough pre run and felt poor from 17 mile onwards...plus im getting over a cold..jim you are well on target for sub 3.45..anne the hills on your training route will do you no harm..my course is hilly and as jim says dublin course relatively flat
22/09/2013 at 22:16

Thanks, Jim. It definitely sounds as if Elm Grove was overkill - just under 1km and very steep. I'll find something more moderate to include in my last couple of long runs.

Hills are our friends! I'm slowly ticking off the big hills in Brighton as/when I manage to run all the way up them. (There are some real beasts!)

I'm a bit scared about the possibilities that my recent training results are throwing up as it's way beyond my expectations and I've always believed a 4:30 would be the limit of my capabilities. Narrowly missed in this year's Brighton Marathon.

Enjoy your trip to the pub, Jim.

23/09/2013 at 18:37

I'm back how the devil is everyone ?

Read " Cant Swim, Cant Ride , Cant Run" and "Running with the Kenyans" both well worth it!!

24/09/2013 at 12:03

Hi guys, ran the dublin half last Saturday in 2:09, bit disappointed as was looking for under 2 hours but the heat out there was unreal especially for this time of year! Anyway am doing 18 miles this Saturday and 20 next weekend then Ill have two weeks to taper. Am now aiming for 4:30 for the marathon but to be honest as this is my first marathon Ill be happy to finish! Have a head cold at the moment so trying to get over that too! Any advice on carb loading before long runs? My quads get very tired late into my long runs, think Im not carb loading enough??

Edited: 24/09/2013 at 12:05
24/09/2013 at 15:34
Hi shea..this is my first marathon too...when i do my long runs on sunday morn i start carbo loading from thursday evening teatime...pasta pasta and more pasta....lol...sweet potatos baked potato brown rice and go for the wholewheat pasta...also dont neglect your water intake in the 2 days leading up to long run..ill drink 2 litres during my 8 hour shift at work and more at home...done my first 20 miler sunday past and have had a head cold since 4 days before it and still have now plus few cold sores..thats when i know im a bit rundown...all the training does effect immune system..i try to counter that by popping berrocca every morn...
24/09/2013 at 16:17

Thanks for the advice defo need to add more pasta as I felt it in my legs on my last long run. Will have to look up some pasta recipes!

25/09/2013 at 13:16

Well done on the Carbo loading guys and Sausageroll, nice user name!

Well done on your HM Shea , looks like you could get sub 2hours one day.

Did the HM route cover any of the marathon route ?

25/09/2013 at 13:36
Sjpc14...mate i was eating a sausageroll when i joined up lol..my name is shane...you doing the marathon yourself?
25/09/2013 at 13:43

I think I may have been a bit lax in my carb loading / liquid drinking before last Sunday's afternoon run.

This week I'm reverting to a morning run so hopefully I'll be better prepared.

26/09/2013 at 09:38

I like the inspiration Shane.....and yes i will be running the marathon. Its number 4 for me and fingers crossed i will duck below 3.40 this time. Well thats the aim any way, ive just have a two week holiday so running on sore legs this week. But there should be enough time to recover lost muscle and fitness.

Hi Anne. i used to do my long runs Sunday afternoons too and treat myself to a lay in before hand. But trust me, once you switch to early mornings instead you wont go back, as you get your Sunday back in a way. I have to admitt i am rubbish at carbo loading during training (Saturday is pizza night), but i when to comes to the race i make sure i start a few days before hand.

26/09/2013 at 10:09

I usually do my Saturday/Sunday longs run in the mornings (as early as I possibly can).

But this year's training regime included a couple of weeks where I  was running progressively long runs after work and 5/6 days on the trot which meant my weekend runs had to be in the afternoon to allow for a bit of recovery. Especially on my 2 super high mileage weeks! I much prefer running in the morning at weekends as otherwise I just seem to waste the whole of the morning.

My final 2 LSRs will be run in the morning - whoopee!!

26/09/2013 at 10:52

Sjpc14... the half had a small amount of the marathon route, all of which was in the Phoenix Park mainly up the main avenue. The avenue is a killer on the legs as its a gradual hill that keeps on going!

26/09/2013 at 14:03

i know what you mean Anne. How many miles your been covering per week. Ive been doing up to 55 and its been quite a step up for me! Hard going at times but fingers crossed it will pay off

long gradual hills are the worse. I'll rather just tackle a short and steel climb! But hey ho what can we do. Thanks for the tip off mind.

181 to 200 of 415 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.