Dublin Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 415 messages
18/06/2013 at 13:39

Just booked some accomodation, after reading others are already booking theirs. Got a place near to the start. Its self catering mind, but i wanted that, so i could ensure i get a big bowl of pasta the night before!!

19/06/2013 at 20:16

Dublin is going to be my first marathon.  Started training for it last Monday, really looking to completing it and hopefully reaching my target (3:20)  travelling down the day before and staying for a few nights with a group of us from the North.  Anyone looking to run around the same time and wants a running buddy for a while on the day... hit me up!!

20/06/2013 at 09:35

Morning Gareth, welcome to the forum. First marathon and going for 3 :20 thats really impressive!! What are your half marathon times ?

This will be my fourth marathon and first over seas one (traveling from Lancashire England). My marathon PB is 3:48 , which i got at the Preston Guild marathon last year.

24/06/2013 at 21:02

Sorry about the late reply.  Been really busy with work and training and being a dad   done a 5K race on Friday evening around the streets of Belfast... run it in 19:11 which is a massive PB for me.  As for half marathon, my current best is 1 hour 40.  That wasn't a race and was also without a structured training plan.  So i will be able to give you a more accurate half marathon reading when i do the Belfast Half in September.  I know 3:20 is a crazy target to set for my first marathon, but im sure my training programme will see me through!  I hear Dublin is a nice flat course to.. perfect for my first

25/06/2013 at 08:22

That's a great 5K time Gareth.

I think If you do the miles and all the other stuff like speed work, you've got the time to get 3.20, so good luck with your goal

Im hoping for sub 3;40 really and id be very happy with that.

The Dublin course, has a few hills in it, but only to around 200ft, there is a profile of the course on the official website. Ive heard one runner who has done It, describe it as 'easy' and another describe it as 'rolling'......as long as we all train properly, I guess we will be ok.

25/06/2013 at 14:04

I did Dublin in 2005, I can only remember it as very wet lol.  Certainly wasn't much in the way of undulations.

25/06/2013 at 14:55

Believe me when i say i pushed myself to the absolute limit with that 5K... nearly throwing up & everything. Worth it though!!  Where are you staying when you're over for Dublin?  3:40 is a superb time... like you said, if we do all the proper training then we can easily hit our targets.  I'm really enjoying watching my miles build up on Strava.. just hard getting used to the tender nipples! 

Cinders being from the North or Ireland makes me particularly used to the rain anyway lol just hope the wind isn't so strong!!

25/06/2013 at 16:42

Lol, if I say I'm down in the South East in the UK and my neighbour has 2 palm trees then you could say we don't get as much rain as you do

26/06/2013 at 14:43

Dublin Marathon booked today. Bring it on.

26/06/2013 at 17:05

Marathon training just about to start for me................

Just back from long injury and struggling with with form. Had a 5 mile slog last night.

I am a Long way from reasoanble basic running fitness at the minute.

26 miles seems miles away (Literally!!) -but positive about what lays ahead - As James B says "Bring it on"

26/06/2013 at 18:55

I am staying somewhere very close to the race start/finish which im pealed about. Gone self catering, as I kinda wanted to make sure , I had more control over portions and food choice......I know pretty nuts hey!!

Im traveling over from England (Lancashire) too Cinders, you coming alone or with support ? I've been to Dublin once before but never for a race.

Its still a great time Gareth, and I was actually sick after a race once!! Mostly because, I had a sprint race finish battle with this woman (of which I won) and once I had finished I had that tender stomach feeling you sometimes get when you've pushed yourself hard and well she patted me well done, on the back, at precisely the wrong time!!!

Don't worry about how you feel at the moment Bracken we all have off days, as long as we get the miles in, all that matters is your on form on the day, get through the training, get some races in, maybe visit your local ParkRun and as James says "Bring it on"

27/06/2013 at 15:14

I signed up about a month ago but just found the forum...hello to all.

I did Dublin back in 2006 which was my first marathon. I had a great time and managed 3:58 which is still my PB. I have not thought about travel or accomadation yet, must get on with it. As James says "Bring it on"

27/06/2013 at 20:11

Hello AA and welcome

I'm coming over with the other half and little one SJPC14.

Still plenty of time yet Bracken

28/06/2013 at 06:22

Just put my 16 week training plan together and I offically start on the 8th July. I am not starting from scrath as I run about 20miles a week to tick over.

Gareth, if your running 19 mins for 5K already, I think you should try and win the marathon!  Great time mate, under 25 is good for me. I did London in April and I had a really crappy time, my slowest marathon. I was full of injuries and not much real training. I remember being at 18 miles and thinking never, never, never again......they took at picture of me at 25 miles and you havenever seen such a sad looking case in all your life! I will keep it to remember why we train.

28/06/2013 at 07:41

It sounds like a nice family affair for you Cinders, that a be nice.

welcome to the forum Atom, sorry to hear that you had a crap time at London , ive done London and it too wasn't my best marathon, better than my effort the previous year at Edinburgh, where  I really struggled mind you!

My marathon PB is 3:48 and aiming for sub 3:40 at this one, is anyone else going for around that time ?

28/06/2013 at 08:32

I will be aiming for around 3.45 failing which anything under 4 hours.

Will be boating over on the saturday and staying in Skerries.

28/06/2013 at 09:30

8 miles @ 10.30 mm (as per Hal Higeons instructions

This is my 1st marathon and I cant get my head around training at such a slow pace. I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination anyway -I normaly run at 9mm pace.

I know there is probably logic to it and will stick with it.

Nice to see so many joining this thread

28/06/2013 at 13:44

Actually I think I have miscaculated my training pace. Reading back over marathon training stuff I should be training at approx 1 -1.30 mins slower than planned marathon pace.

So if I plan to achieve a 4hr 45min target =10.52 mile pace my training should be at say 12 mm - Does that sound about right?

Edited: 28/06/2013 at 13:44
29/06/2013 at 18:21

That sounds about right to me Bracken as thats the time I'm aiming for too. I'm not a speedster but find it very hard to run that slow. I'm sure there's a reason for it....

This will be my 2nd marathon, I did Loch Ness last year in 4:54 which I was well pleased with.

I'm travelling over from Milton Keynes with my wife on the Saturday and not returning until Thursday so plenty of time to see the sights afterwards.

29/06/2013 at 18:42

I'll be doing it. Had it planned as my first marathon last year and had all my training done when I fell of a kerb in training less than two weeks before. It took me about 5 months before I could run again.

I've since done 2 marathons but have to go back and do Dublin.

21 to 40 of 415 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.