Dunsfold Duathlon 4.5K/15K/4.5K

Nice site but same day as 10km

21 to 33 of 33 messages
03/04/2009 at 12:19

I have just entered. Have been tempted by others saying that this will be their first duathlon so decided to give it a go. I did enter a duathlon last year but had to pull out as had a nasty freak accident and collided with a car whilst out on my road bike in October and havent been on my road bike since. I have ridden my mountain bike but am plucking up courage and going to use my road bike for this event, especially as the course is traffic free!

Sorry to be dim but what happens at the transition? Will I know where to find my bike (it will probably be quite lonely when I come to find it) and is it easy to find your place for your bike when you get back from your cycle (again I am assuming it will be full of bikes by the time I get back.) I intend to wear the same shoes but should I add a layer for the bike ride such as an extra top?

Thanks   

03/04/2009 at 17:45

Hi Sal

I haven't got any answers for you, but am glad to see another beginner here. 

I will be wearing the same shoes for the whole race too, but I hadn't thought about an extra top. 

A

12/04/2009 at 12:54

After reading all the comments, the one to remember is 'just have fun'.

Duathlon can be exhausting but it all depends on how you approach it. The distances involved in this one are 'kind' so it sure be great for all you first-timers.

Dustboy's advice about practising transition is very apt. So much time can be wasted here.

Remember to take plenty of water and something to maintain your energy (gels, bars, nuts whatever).

I haven't even entered yet. I hope there are some places left!

Don't worry about not finding your bike in transition. Everything is clearly marked and it will be obvious when you get there - just make sure you arrive in plenty of time...

14/04/2009 at 09:14

Thanks 007 I am looking forward to it now.

Does anyone have any tips about punctures? I was looking in the bike shop at the puncture resitant tyres. Are they worth investing in? I guess if you get a puncture on the bike leg of the duathlon it is pretty much all over, unless you are close to the finish.

Thanks for all the encouragement

Sal    

14/04/2009 at 11:17

Sal,

If your tyres are in reasonably good nick then a puncture is pretty unlikely, especially as the bike leg will be on rather than off-road. Tyre pressure is very important as you can waste a lot of energy if your tyres aren't inflated sufficiently. The correct pressure will be marked on the tyres and there will be a lot of people in the car park with bike pumps with pressure gauges attached. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help.

Dustboy    pirate
15/04/2009 at 20:13

I am going to have to bale this. have been unwell for a couple of weeks now and no beans in the tank. Shame coz I have done Dunsfold ever since I started running and it remains one of my faves. If I feel a bit better, I'll try and get down there on the bike and lend a bit of support to the races.

Re the bike STS, you put it on teh rack yourself and just remember it. It's not like 2000 people trying to get to theirs, there will probably only be a few hundred and you will be well split up by then.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with an extra layer, just pedal harder! If you have them, you could consider arm warmers.

20/04/2009 at 10:08

I enjoyed this very much for a first duathlon, great surroundings and very fast track. Put me down for next year

20/04/2009 at 10:56

Results are now available on www.racetimingsystems.com and photos will shortly be on www.sportcam.net.

Thanks for the kind comments on the day and on the RW rankings - this was our first duathlon and we learnt a lot quickly - pleased with our first attmpt and loads of small points to tweak to make it even better next year.

We'll keep the format of 10km run & wheelchair race, kids 3km and then the duathlon. Next year we will also have a 2 person relay which might be good for the runners who would like to be part of it but also want to be part of the 10km too.

Date for 2010 will be 18 April.

20/04/2009 at 11:08
Just want to say a big thanks to all the kind marshalls, fellow competitors and spectators who cheered us on. It was a really nice atmosphere.
Dustboy    pirate
21/04/2009 at 00:03
Really sorry to miss this. Putting date into diary for next year. Hope you enjoyed it.
21/04/2009 at 14:35

Thanks Mike and the other organisers, a great day helped by the weather.

For next year, maybe a water stop en route rather than only when you start the second run phase (if there was another, then I didn't see it) and better briefing before the start. For many people it was their first duathlon and they need to know where to go when leaving transition. This is especially important for the slower competiors who will be starting their final run as others are finishing the event. I saw one lady who walked out the wrong end of transition and then stood in the middle of the finishing straight with no idea where to go. Someone then pointed and she crossed the finishing mat even though she was just starting her run (that possibly explains how someone ran the last leg in 3:39). Signs are important but someone should be there giving out instructions.

Constructive criticism apart, it was a great event which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

21/04/2009 at 21:17

Thanks 007 - will add your comments to our debrief.

Will also see if we can get the management at Dunsfold to cut the grass in and aroiund transition - it'll cost us but will make a difference particilary if the event grows as we hope.

Dustboy    pirate
22/04/2009 at 12:54

Mike,

I had a silly idea really, If it costs no more to rent the site for the day, you could always up the distance to half or even mara? Chip can count the laps so noone cheats (not that anyone would), Marshalls stay the  same, course the same etc. Sure, 8 laps is boring but you could market it as a "familython" so kids and relatives could have lots of repeat viewings of parents etc (or a Bore-athon so you would appreciate other races more

If you could get a bit of a party/kids funfair in the middle on the grass, coupel of slides, bouncy castle, that type of stuff, you have the makings of a proper day out.

Although everything is contained inside the perimiter, parking is outside so no cars to hit people, and a pedestrian bridge to get out of area if necessary. 

OK, theres a cost, but you might get more people? Mara organised by Mr Mara himself?

Well, it's a thought but no doubt there is some financial barrier to it somewhere....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.