East Hull 20

Thoughts?

101 to 113 of 113 messages
11/03/2008 at 12:11

Just to endorse all the above - this was my 7th EH20 - confirmed why I keep coming back - even tho' 2:24 a new PW (I'm getting on a bit !!)  . Liked new course (missed last year) - although miles 17 - 19 very tough, much better psychologically to turn onto finish stretch with just half a mile to go, rather than the long haul from Bransholme?? as on old course. As always, showers, tea, sarnies etc round things off perfectly.    Many thanks to all involved. 

11/03/2008 at 13:07

results on website- i found that if you refresh the page it should come up

cheers

john

11/03/2008 at 13:16
Me - I like a medal after a race .  I know some runners can't be doing with them though (probably the serious, competitive ones who want their own medal, for winning the race!).  For people like me for whom all races are achievements compared to their lifestyle before running (!) they are great.  I love the GNR one I got last year - my first proper medal!  Looking forward to getting another at the Sheffield Half.  I liked the Snake Lane 10 mug too.
11/03/2008 at 17:41
Medals would be last on my list! (sorry RTG), really like the idea of 2 diff entries depending if you want a t-shirt (or whatever) if not too difficult to coordinate.
11/03/2008 at 18:34

Fair enough hare&tortoise .  Optional t-shirt is a good idea I agree.  They had t-shirts for sale at a reasonable price at the Snake Lane 10 race for anyone who wanted one.  What I don't like is being left with only XL t-shirts when I only need small or medium!

11/03/2008 at 20:26

I guess you'll never get a consensus...I quite like medals (partly because my daughter likes them), I don't usually like cotton Ts, I do like technical Ts...

The Snake Lane top was quite good, a sort of 'class of 08'  - except I was a transferred number and so not on it.

My suspicions are that maybe newer runners like the tops, medals, etc, as they like the trophies. More experienced runners are maybe less bothered. However, most people will take what they're given (because they've 'earned' it). Without being over earnest, there is a potential waste of resources and carbon footprint  in ordering 100's of tops that might not get properly used. 

At the end of the day, I don't mind paying a tenner if I feel that I've been looked - from the sending out of info prior to the race, to the enrolment, duirng the race and on to the post race activities.

If that's been well done, (and it was on Sunday) then in my view the club can keep any profit it makes, especially if it is re-invested in the club in some way (which I imagine it is).

11/03/2008 at 21:56
RTG - couldn't agree more about getting tops of the wrong size.  I've found in the last few races I've done though, that you could tick a box for your size and you then actually get one that fits.  The one from Sunday fits a treat and I wore it with pride to club night tonight!
12/03/2008 at 08:53

some good feedback there folks- many thanks - we will endeavour to perhaps have a discussion about it for next years race

cheers

john

12/03/2008 at 15:22

This was my first 20 mile race ever - (preparing for the FLM)

Firstly I have to say how much I 'enjoyed ' it. The course was varied and interesting and I was well motivated to finish (depite the pain!).

Secondly the people at the finish were really friendly and genuinely concerned for your well-being. Which is really great when you're a long way from home.

Thirdly - well, what can I say, but, what fantastic value for money! Only £10 - and a really good quality sweat shirt thrown in! so what it's red - I sweated blood for it!

I will definitely consider doing it again next year, FLM or no!

Just as a comparison: coming up in my area is a half marathon - pre entry is £15 (£19 on the day)       and in September there is a 10k which is £12 (pre entry). The 'goody' bags are pathetic and boring and I am 99% certain I will not be entering either at those prices.

12/03/2008 at 19:11

vampyr - don't immediately discount races if they're more expensive.

some events have to cover the costs of items such as policing and road closures - which can run into several thousand pounds.

just my 2p.

13/03/2008 at 09:12
just a little bit more - yes I'm sure you're right. The reason I'm feeling mealy mouthed about it is because they are both (sort of) local council run races. Club run events are more about the runners whereas the council run events are about the razzamattazz that make it a newsworthy happening with celebrities and such.
13/03/2008 at 21:53
vampyr - can't argue with that.
13/03/2008 at 22:15

Just to add,

This was my first EH20, as was up North to be with my mum and was a last minute entry.

Excellent service from ringing up to get entry, directions emailed to me, great value for money and love the sweatshirt too. A big well done to EH20 ad the team.

(Can someone iron out that hill at 19.5m next time.........)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 113 of 113 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.