Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Who's up for it??

1 to 20 of 1,069 messages
24/05/2010 at 18:25

I missed out this year as I slipped on ice on boxing day while running and broke my leg. Decided yesterday that I'm signing up for 2011 and roped my sister in to it as well.

Who's joining me at the start line??

24/05/2010 at 19:36
i will totally be there, kirrie (btw does that stand for kirriemuir)

do you know when the sign up for next year is??
x
WR
24/05/2010 at 20:25
Yep, i'll probably be there next year again!!
26/05/2010 at 13:21
Entries open on the 1st August according to their website. Kirrie is Kirriemuir!!
26/05/2010 at 14:29

yeah its first of august but i think you can pre register and they will emind you the day before to register i thinks.

omg my grandad is from kirriemuir.  i am originally from carnoustie but live in york now.  i met a lady on here from arbroath the other day.my its a small world on this forum

26/05/2010 at 15:15
I've pre-registered.
26/05/2010 at 19:56

Not a chance.

Got frazzed last year, and again this year.  The chances are I'll get frazzed again next year.  Running Paris 2011 instead.

Good Luck if you're heading to Edinburgh.  Its a great day!

28/05/2010 at 20:40
I live in Edinburgh but haven't considerd the Edinburgh Marathon until I watched it at the weekend.  Definitely gonna do it next year, purely for the convenience.  Just did Paris this year, which was amazing btw Carolyn, you'll love it, but nice to do one close to home. 
28/05/2010 at 21:00
What the date of the Marathon.Anyone knows?
WR
28/05/2010 at 21:24
You were lucky Jaggy watching on sunday, it was a little hot on the road. I've done Edinburgh 2009/2010 now and it's been hot both times, see you there in 2011.
29/05/2010 at 08:35

Hey Jaggy ... done a few marathons and as a route is pretty good apart from 15/22 which is really long and not too inspiring.  Flat and fast - weather permitting!!

Ran Paris in 2008 and loved it - so going back for round 2!x!

29/05/2010 at 09:21

Yep I think i'll be there.....though am still recovering from the sunburn from this year.... hmmm

xA

29/05/2010 at 10:21

Airhead - you past the 'never again' stage then?

Have to say I'll probably be back - despite the heat and organisational problems I enjoyed it. And Edinburgh is a great city for a post-marathon p*ss-up.

On the subject of sunburn I'm peeling so much I look like Nikki Lauda

29/05/2010 at 10:28

I'll most likely be there.  Done the last 3 years so might as well
Tempted to actually stay Sunday night as well.  Keep booking Fri/Sat and then driving back straight after the run, which whilst nice to get home, probably isn't the best thing in the world.

Any way, I do like my Scottish marathons, and it's a nice city.  Really got to get a decent time there as well as it's becoming a matter of male pride now!

My sunburn is fine.  Obviously my Factor 50 helped save me from burning too much (or having the aircon on in the car to keep the temp from hitting God knows what).  Tiny bit of peeling a couple of days ago but nothing like last year when I could peel A4 sheets off my face (almost).

Edited: 29/05/2010 at 10:30
29/05/2010 at 10:38

oddly enough, the 'never again' phase didn't last too long. When I'd stopped feeling sick (too much sun - my celebration lasted half a beer then I had to leave an untouched meal - which is unheard of for me, and return to the hotel.....not pretty!) and my legs had started to function again I started to misshaving something to look forward to. Although it does rest on whether or not my friend's mum has a charity place for London for me.

I have decided i would like to do 10 Marathons bafore turning 40. I have 9 years to do this so should be possible! And of course I would like to get a better time. I was happy with 5:48 given the conditions, but now I know I can get round I would like to bring that down. And not have to queue for 10 mins to use the loo at mile 3 should help!

So next I think will be Dublin in Oct....and then Edi or/and London next year!

xA

29/05/2010 at 11:02
The "never again" thing just never lasts. The euphoric feeling of finishing a marathon with thousands of others makes you wanna do it all over again, but better. Who needs drugs, that's a good high for me. Even the aching muscles, knees, hips and feet are a bit of a giggle especially when you are out that night for celebratory drinks and you see others walking just as oddly as you and you give a nod of respect and acknowledgment. It's all good fun!
WR
29/05/2010 at 14:08
My aussie factor 30 sun block worked a treat, haven't had any sunburn after Edinburgh! Been for a few jogs this week but went for first proper run this morning, cool and rainy (typical), and really enjoyed it!
30/05/2010 at 17:15

Yes I'll be back, all being well.

Just signed up for Angelsey marathon in September and the Cardiff half in October and will be doing Race the train in Tywyn for the 3rd time in August it's such good fun. I'm broke now so have to stop looking for more races to have a go at.

30/05/2010 at 17:19

I'll be doing it unless i get in London.

Got to do better than this years dissapointment!

30/05/2010 at 17:22

This year was my first marathon, was hoping for sub 4 but came in at 4.16.58, I'm putting it down to the heat.

I've put my name in the hat for London but will prob do Edinburgh as little chance of me and my mate getting into London. I'm hoping to do two marathons next year. 

Edinburgh was excellent and I now want to break the sub 4. 

I've pre registered  

1 to 20 of 1,069 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.