Edinburgh Marathon 2012

1 to 20 of 833 messages
11/09/2011 at 20:32
Did this in 2011 and have signed up again. Last chance to see if organisation can improve or find another marathon. . . Anyone else signed up yet?
11/09/2011 at 20:47
Signed up as a past runner. Heard last year at the finish was a shambles. Would be good to hear from event organizers about how 2012 will be better. Entry was £48 so better be good!
24/09/2011 at 12:30
I've signed up for the 10k on Saturday and marathon on Sunday - need to start training I suppose. . .
30/09/2011 at 19:12
Latest email from Edinburgh Marathon says that they've changed the finish from last year to accommodate the increase in the numbers. Also just received my finishers T Shirt from May this year!

Next year has to be better than that
01/10/2011 at 12:22

Hi Duffs and dunbarkev,

I have also signed up for the marathon again next y

ear. This year was going to be my last but well I have decided to do it for a 3rd time.As you say it had better be more organised than this years event.

I have also entered for the Rock and Roll Half in April.

Lets keep each other motivated as the months tick by I will start my training in earnest in January. Do you follow a structured plan? 

Kev...Do you live in Dunbar???? Thats where my mum lives...Lovely place for running  

Edited: 01/10/2011 at 12:23
01/10/2011 at 17:49
Hi FrannyT, welcome aboard - I was starting to think there'd just be two of us on the day. I am a plodder and usually follow the runners world plans for 4:30-5:00. 2010 I was 4:59 and 2011 was 4:44 so aiming for 4:30 so the basic plans work to get me round.

I'm doing the Rock and Roll half as well - I was a gold runner for the half when they changed it so I get to do this year as part of that package before they withdraw it.

All for the motivation . . . I'm trying to loosely train for a New Year Half before starting proper in January as well.
WR
01/10/2011 at 18:12
Did it in 09 and 10, haven't signed up yet but do intend to!
01/10/2011 at 22:12
I've signed up!!   Have done the last 5 miles before as part of a relay team.  Done loads of halfs etc but this will be my first marathon atempt - eek feeling quite scared now!
02/10/2011 at 13:52

Duffs.....You are much the same times as me....in 2010 I was 5.08 and this year I did it in 4.36..wonder if I could knock half an hour off again. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Just back from the Bupa 10k Edinburgh run....hilly but areally nice course and enjoyed it...would have been happy with just under the hour( even though my 10k PB is 51.12 but that was on a flattish fast downhill course) Unofficial time 55.30 which i am quite pleased with. 10k is not really my most fave run..prefer HM or Mara pace.....

Welcome aboard Whitehead runner and Chynah..... Chynah.You will be absolutely fine for the Marathon......I did the relay (3rd leg) in 2009 and decided for 2010 to go the full distance and managed it so you will be fine cos you have halfs under your belt already........

02/10/2011 at 18:37
Cheers FrannyT - Well done on your 10k. I'm recovering from a sprained ankle (3 wks ago) a week in Barcelona (2 wks ago) and a cold this week so I am struggling to get back into it - but planning to start properly tomorrow again fingers crossed.

Chynah I'm sure you'll do well at the marathon if you've done a few halfs already.

7 and a half months to go. . . .
02/10/2011 at 20:55

Just signed up for this, completed a fair few halfs and 10ks, but this will be my first marathon distance - nervous but excited too - feel much more in my comfort zone long distance.

have read a few things about bad organisation in last years race so hope it's better this year!

03/10/2011 at 09:54

Welcome Brooke22..................I am sure you will be fine with the marathon distance as you already have done halfs..............the race this year was very badly organised at the end for the runners and specators.However it was good support along the way of the course and plenty of water and fuelling stations. This year they have changed the finish so should not be as bad as this year.....well  as Duffs said it cannae be any worse......

Duffs...Hope your anke injury gets better soon and you get out running.....my official 10k time for yesterday was 55.19 so better than my watch said.

Have a great day everyone.....

03/10/2011 at 19:09
Even better FrannyT. I did the Edinburgh Half in April last year and was a bit down about my time - then it turned out that the course was 13.3 instead of 13.1 so we all got a couple of minutes off - result

Back on the ankle at the weekend and did step class tonight and so far so good.

Hope everyone else is doing well . . . .
04/10/2011 at 10:04

Morning Duffs....

Heard about that distance mistake...at least they amended you finishing times.....Is it the same course again for the Rock and Roll one? with the distance adjustment LOL

Glad your ankle on ther mend.....Been out for a 6.5 mile run this morning.............its freezing and windy out there today.....Brrrrrrr

04/10/2011 at 11:42

Well done for getting out after the heatwave (that's when I usually hit the treadmill instead)

Not sure about the route for the rock and roll one - the old one started at Meadowbank and left the city to Musselburgh but the rock and roll website says it takes in all the sites like the parliament and stuff so doesn't sound like it'll be the same. We'll see (as longs as it is the distance adjustment )

05/10/2011 at 14:21

Ive signed up for the Edinburgh marathon following my second rejection from London.

Done the GNR twice, but this will be my first full marathon so a bit aprehensive. looking forward to it though.

05/10/2011 at 16:08

Welcome Jonesy....shame about not getting in to London but you will like theEdinburgh One.......I am sure you will do well in your !st marathon.This will be my 3rd

Hi Duffs...Hows you today? No running for me today..early shift at work and the weather is awful...chucking it down and windy....not nice

05/10/2011 at 18:06
Second the Welcome Jonesy. I'm sure you'll do fine and I'm sure when the forum gets busier there'll be plenty of motivation and advice to get us all through

Not bad today - made it out for some sprint sessions (6 miles altogether) and finally feels like my cold is leaving my head. Early start for me tomorrow - 1/2 day at work then 5 hour drive from North Wales to Glasgow for a weekend at the ma and pa house so plenty of Scottish Breakfasts to make up for over the weekend.

Happy Wednesday (more than half of the week done day) everyone!
06/10/2011 at 09:58

Mornin,

Dufffs...good sprint session yesterday...well done.....glad your feeling better...enjoy yourself in Glasgow at the weekend and your scottish breaky made by your ma I expect.....will you be running when you're up?

Hope the weather improves for you but don't hold out much hope for it...its freezing cold,raining and windy in Edinburgh this morning so just went and did a gym session and some intervals on the treadmill.

06/10/2011 at 13:55

Thanks for the welomes guys,

Ive only been out for a couple of runs since the GNR, played rugby twice, and that seems far harder than doing 13.1 miles!

I'll probably keep the mileage ticking over for a couple of months then start training in earnest in january.

My last GNR was 2:26:30 so would love to do a full marathon in five hours. do you reckon thats a bit adventurous for a first attempt?

1 to 20 of 833 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.