Edinburgh Marathon 2014

381 to 395 of 395 messages
15/04/2014 at 14:25

You sure it's not hayfever related Miggito? My body has gone nuts in the last week or so and I know it's the jump up in temperature and pollen appearing that's done it to me.

I'll live with the hayfever, it's a pain in the arse but I can run despite it... calf niggle isn't getting any better though and I'm worried that I wont be able to LSR this weekend. I've missed a few so I really REALLY don't want to miss any more.

Spamags, I'll probably be there on my own too... post up your number or what you'll be wearing nearer to race day and I'll shout encouragement at you if I spot you! 

15/04/2014 at 15:18

And I'll do the same ...

Thanks for the encouragement folks - much appreciated

At the risk of boring people, can I share my traumatic dream from this am? The GNR was about to start and not only was I not in my pen but I didn't have my trainers on.Decided to hot foot it across the city centre against the flow of traffic to grab my running shoes from the halls of residence I haven't been in for over 25 years (!).I was wearing my work clothes but, bizarrely, people I know from work were strategically positioned along the way and I was able to hand them items to hold for me.  Woke up before being reunited with my trainers, my heart absolutely pounding. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it today. 

The horror, the horror!

What I need now is a nice EMF finish line dream to cancel that one out ...

15/04/2014 at 15:22

Hey all

Nice to see that spirits are still high as we get ever closer to the big day .

Had a few week off but got back into it last week, had a tough 3 days back to back running then a few days rest then on Sunday did a nice 4 miler followed by a 10k race.  Out with running club tonight, speedwork tomorrow then a gentler run on Thursday before Saturdays 3 mile and Sundays 19miles, this will be my longest run to date so see how I fair.

I'm running in the green of Macmillans as fund raising at the same time, if anyone wants to sponsor me here's my link : www.justgiving.com/colin-lee2  

15/04/2014 at 18:17

Hi there I am new to the forum and I am doing my first marathon at Edinburgh. I don't want to tempt fate but so far my training has been going well. I ran 18 miles this morning as I was away at the weekend. I am feeling quite comfortable with the gels and hydration and I am looking forward to the big day. I am not going to break any records, I just want to run the course without stopping at a steady pace and finish feeling proud of myself! Good luck to everyone out there, sorry to hear of illness and injuries, keep your spirits high!

15/04/2014 at 20:07

Hello!

Does anyone know if there will be pacers? I did my first marathon in Brighton just over a week ago. My time was 3:52. I stuck with the 4 hour pacer unto 11 miles and then just went ahead on my own. At Edinburgh I'd like to try running with a 3:45 pacer. Will be a big push but I think Edin is a quicker course. Bit worried about it being too warm come the end of May.

Anyone else hoping to run with pacers? 

Thanks

15/04/2014 at 20:47

Hi all, just finished Paris and the VLM and an now taking a week completely of from running to give my legs a rest ready for Edinburgh. Hope everyone's training us going to plan and that you are not getting too stressed.

I've found that all the niggles you think you have pre race disappear on the day as the challenge itself focuses your mind.

has anyone set up a pre race meet for this forum yet to have a group snap ? 

15/04/2014 at 21:16
Hi ann, the website says no pacers I'm afraid
15/04/2014 at 21:35

Oh no! That's really disappointing. Edinburgh just got a lot harder for me. I thought Edinburgh was a relatively big race and would likely have had pacers.

Nevermind! I'll be writing mile targets down my arm then!

15/04/2014 at 23:26
Hi Ann, there are pacer bands on the RW website for all times including 3:45. You may want to try one if them.
Yesterday at 05:45

Simon, I saw that you replied to me - sorry for not replying back! Much as I'd love to run with someone else, I don't think that I will be up for a sub 4 marathon. Those pace calculators would say that I could do 3:59 or 4:00 (depending on where you look!), but I would prefer to aim 4:30 or 4:15, so that I can actually finish in one piece!

I went out for 18 miles on Saturday which went OK with gels & drinking (although SIS caffeine berry gel tastes disgusting!). I struggle to run slow enough at the start, and averaged 9:24 pace, but ranged from (9:02 downhill at mile 4 to 10:03 at mile 16). Any tips on how to stay slow?? 

Next up, 20 miles on Friday.... furthest ever run.

Yesterday at 06:56

I have the exact same problem Macfinbob, when I relax or I get distracted by messing about with my water bottles or MP3 player, I tend to speed up.  Best thing that I ever did was get a gps watch, the Garmin Forerunner 10, I can set a target time and if I don't run it that time, it moans at me, i use it as my leash.

Yesterday at 08:46

MacFinbob / Simonp83 - I have the same problem with the pacing.  I am following a sub 4 plan and my LSR's are roughly 10 min miles, however on my last LSR of 17 miles the allotted time was 2hrs 55mins but I completed in 2hrs 30mins.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 but I dont think i can set a target time on this version.  I just going to go with the flow and see what happens this weekend and the next 2 when I have to run 19, 21 and 20 miles.

Last nights run for me never happened, finished work at 5 to go to running club which starts at 6.45 but didnt get home until 8.30, 3hrs stuck in traffic 

Yesterday at 14:25
Miggito wrote (see)

Madbee, calm down dear , haha, great to see you're so enthusiastic, not long now, you're nearly there

Haha, this isn't the first time I've heard that as we approach race time - you'll have to peel me off the ceiling as we get into the taper!   Hope you're starting to feel better now Miggito.

Colin, I know it's hard but you really do have to slow down the long runs, especially at the start - if you still feel great at 15 miles then think about kicking on a little, but make sure you finish feeling ok, not completely wrung out...

Mac, I think you can make allowances for yourself going downhill as long as your average looks ok - I live in a really hilly area so rarely pace evenly, but as long as the average is within the right range I think you're generally ok.  That said, that seems a little quick for your planned target, so try playing around with your breathing as you run - sing to yourself, or only allow yourself to breathe through your nose for a while - you'll find if you're too fast these won't work, so just slow it down until you can!

Yesterday at 17:03

Cheers Madbee - I will try, though looking at splits I am quicker over the 2nd half of the distance than the first half so not running out too quickly, isnt this a good thing?

As missed running club last night went out at lunchtime today, planned on 7 miles but only managed just over 5.  Had an horrendous pain in my hip and now struggling to walk without been in agony, no idea what i have done as was ok on Sunday when i raced.  Lets hope it eases up so i can get my LSR done, dont want an injury this close to Marathon.

Yesterday at 22:08

Thanks Colin they look good.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
381 to 395 of 395 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.