Edinburgh Marathon 2014

781 to 800 of 810 messages
27/05/2014 at 09:41

Not publishing the results is a farce. How does this effect those who got a GFA time? Can they still use it if the results are not public? 

Edited: 27/05/2014 at 09:41
27/05/2014 at 09:54

Not having times published is a real pain, it was the main reason I eneterd to get GFA for London before the cut off.  They say in the FAQ it gives you eligibility for Boston, how could they do that and not London. 

Apparently not publishing the results is against IAAF rules, according to someone on twitter.

On the buses, the walk was a pain, surely they could have shuttled them down to the finish.  However what was worse is it took 2 hours to get there, I ran there faster which meant my wife missed me.  There were inadequate signs to the buses so were difficult to find.  Some people missed there partners finishing apparently.  There was no one when you were dropped off so I had to guess which way to go (went wrong).

Not that I am motivated by goody bags, but it was the worst I have seen, not even a banana!  And if it was your first marathon it would be a very poor experience

27/05/2014 at 10:08

I saw that on twitter too, I would report it to the IAAF. It makes a mockery of the hard work people put in to get a GFA time, and also doesn't allow female entrants to know where they came in the race. It is supposed to be a race not a fun run. I was contemplating Edinburgh for next spring - but I won't bother if this is their policy. 

27/05/2014 at 12:42

A wee bit sore today but getting there!

Keith / Madbee and everyone else who nailed it - awesome work - well done! For those who were slightly slower than they wanted (like me!), bag the experience and take it forward to the next one! I've promised myself I will do that next time!

Shame to hear the stories of people having bad experiences, I did think at the end after I crossed the finish and the medals were getting handed out willy nilly that there would be problems with the later finishers but it's quite criminal to run out of stuff! I don't know why they can't just stick it all in a bag?

Well thanks again to all for the support and banter, will need to go and annoy people on the GNR thread now as that's the next one for me. See you all around!

Last word to Russel - Excellent work mate! First of all sincere condolences. Considering all that happened, I can only imagine how hard that would have been, without the added stress of a Marathon half the world away! You have my total respect and I wish you and your family all the best for the future. Safe journey home, I did enjoy my beers and who knows, we may "meet" again sometime in the future on another Marathon adventure!  Take care of yourself mate!

27/05/2014 at 14:03
Well what can I say, I did it. After a hip injury which resulted in only 4 runs in 6 weeks my aim was just to finish as opposed to trying to set a fast time.
Finished in 4:39:24 so slower than the 4:26 that was aiming for but I crossed the line. Felt good through first half in 2:06 but started to struggle fromile 15 and had to run/walk.
Signing up for next year as know can do better, enjoyed the day and the support along the route.
Just a shame about the buses at the end , my wife was parked in Wallyford so a 2 mile walk after running 26.2, was a bit hard.
28/05/2014 at 11:05

Just signing up for Nottingham end of September, long shot but anyone else doing it? I've got a whole new 4 month training program to do now, was hoping to be back to my normal weight training from next week but looks like my plans have changed.

28/05/2014 at 13:28
I've committed to the Yorkshire Marathon on 12th October.

Just 4 months to go!
28/05/2014 at 18:36

Made the long trip up to Scotland from Devon for this one and did enjoy myself, thought the scenery at times was stunning and the support along the route brilliant. Managed 3hrs 21, not a pb but a few beers during the week/Saturday night and the bloody fire alarm in the hotel going off at 1.30am and had to stand outside for 20 minutes plus my mate getting up at 6am for the half certainly didn't help. Was a bit mental at the end with the torrential rain coming down at the finish then walking to the buses, i didn't even have a ticket but got on the bus with no problems. Thing that pissed me off the most was after cleaning up at the hotel we decided to go for a few beers and one pub refused to let us in because we wore jeans and trainers.. Think the doormen thought we were Hibs fans or something. 

28/05/2014 at 19:16

I'm looking for another marathon to do this year too. Just seen that Yorkshire is sold out, but I've put my name down for a place on the waiting list. Nottingham would have been good but my best friend is getting married on 28th so she'd have serious words with me if I missed that!

28/05/2014 at 19:24

I have contacted the IAAF asking them what their view is on not publishing results for one of their bronze level events. Perhaps if they are bombarded with enquiries they will have to take notice of it. The link is on the other Edinburgh Marathon thread.

28/05/2014 at 19:25
Psimon wrote (see)

Kenbro,

I used the following link

http://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/contact-us

Also I suggest tweeting using @iaaforg

30/05/2014 at 15:35

Did anyone see the lad running the marathon in flip flops... he overtook me about 17miles in and looked good. He must have got a sub 3hrs 10...

30/05/2014 at 20:02

Wow that's amazing and slightly crazy! I did see someone running barefoot, he must have had very tough feet...

31/05/2014 at 03:03

If it's the same guy my mate past in what he thought were flip flops his t-shirt had the slogan "They're not flip flops" on the back...

He also saw somebody running barefoot and we both winced at the thought of the gravel section after the turn.

31/05/2014 at 15:24

I've never understood the running barefoot craze. Is it just a gimmick to sell a different style of running shoe?

If you under pronate or over pronate and pounding out mile after mile. Surely a well cushioned and supportive running shoe is better. My heavy clumpy Asics still got me a 3hour 9minute finish at Edinburgh.

I know one or two friends who tried it and it wrecked their calves.

Interestingly, I've never seen anyone win a marathon or olympic gold medal while barefoot. Surely that tells you something. 

31/05/2014 at 22:44

Hi Guys, The flip flop, not flip flop guy finsihed 3.13. I finished 3.12 and saw him on the exit and had a chat with him. He seemed pretty happy and said he had problems before and went on to this style of running and has felt great since....his feet were a mess though!

31/05/2014 at 22:52

Any other injuries to report?

I saw some casualties, more so than Brighton. But that is probably because you could actually see more, as there were less barriers and crowds. One guy was leaning against a wall appearing to be sick. But then, the next minute he had collapsed. I went over to see if he was OK, but very soon other people were summoning help.

My legs had been aching a lot, but recovered soon after. My feet are not a pretty sight, though; they are still feeling rather delicate.

01/06/2014 at 09:47

Just had a small cut on my left heal, socks had ridden down.  Apart from that I seem to be fine.  Did 5 miles on Wednesday and felt fine and did an 800 track race on Friday.  10miles today and a 5 mile race next Saturday, will feel like a sprint lol.

I couldn't do barefoot, more power to them

01/06/2014 at 12:26
I did see a few people at the side of the road who seemed to have crashed and burned but pleased to see they all appeared to be receiving prompt attention. Like you, Kathy, my feet are not a pretty sight - not the blister problems that usually plague me but def going to lose a couple of toenails.

Went out for a v short jog Weds evening - no problems other than tired legs really. Did park run with hubby Sat am and despite it being a bit hotter than I like I managed to take over a minute off my pb . Amidst all the various shortcomings that have been highlighted with regard to the organisation of the emf I can vouch for the value of their " first timers" training programme - served me well.
Couple of smaller, local races on my calendar over next couple of months ( including my first hill race :O) then the GNR to look forward to. Going up to Loch Ness for the marathon but hubby running, not me- my turn for childcare and logistical support.

Happy running folks!
01/06/2014 at 18:02

Fair play to the fella in flip flops, god knows how he did it?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.