Edinburgh Marathon

21 to 40 of 8,199 messages
01/09/2009 at 18:14

Right

Thats it then - been and gone and booked it

Got my confirmation mail.... what have I done....!

01/09/2009 at 18:42
No backing out now !!!    251 days to go, plenty of time to train and build up slowly, you'll nail it mate.
01/09/2009 at 23:57
Me too.  Can't quite believe it but at the same time am excited!  Good luck all!
02/09/2009 at 11:46
I must be mad...I've gone and booked it too!  250 days to go
WR
02/09/2009 at 13:59
going to book it 2day...enjoyed it in may even if it was on the warm side and then afterwards its a great city to go out for a drink. stayed at the hilton caledonian great range of whisky but definately wait till after the run!
02/09/2009 at 14:44

Booked my place too.

Lucy, I'm like you... What can I do to mark turning 40????  Hmmmm ponder, ponder, ponder... I know I'll run a marathon... Do you think something happens to the brain when you turn 39 that makes running a marathon seem like a good idea???

I'll be at the back, am aiming for about 5 hours but will be happy to just finish.

02/09/2009 at 18:19

Think we are on the same wavelength CazSoul.  I think 26 miles is a looooooooooooooooooong way and as long as I get around without needing medical intervention I will be happy!  

Mind you I say that but everytime I do a half I start out with a really healthy attitude and then feel annoyed that I didn't run it faster........I do try really hard though! 

I will definitely be running at the back but at least we will be running and that is very cool indeed!  Let's keep each other positive and upbeat about it.   WE CAN DO IT! 

I told my colleagues about it today and they were so excited and supportive.  They remember when I first started running and I used to just about get around the school football pitch during lunchtime (I teach in a primary school) so they think it is great I am going to do the BIG one!  Great to have good people around you. 

Happy training all x

12/09/2009 at 19:11

hi all, i am seriously considering this as my first marathon too. have spent my summer training for three halfs this autumn, longest run so far 11 miles, and am surprising myself how i seem to take it in my stride, so having stated unequivocably that i would never run a marathon am reconsidering... I too would be aiming at 4.45 - 5.00 so looks like there may be a few of us! Went to uni in Edinburgh so know the city well, and would like to think would have some support... Oh, and i'm not turning 40 but 35 - early midlife crisis?

13/09/2009 at 18:20

Do it Hanna!  If you are taking the halfs in your stride you will be fine.   I am really just aiming to finish this one as that will be a huge achievement in itself for me. I don't think we will be on our own as slightly slower runners.  Let us know if you sign up.

14/09/2009 at 23:19

hi all

well ive been and done it "IM IN"

oh my god what have i done i am now sh*ting it. ive done 10 halfs and plenty of 10ks but this is something different. I know the distance and how far it is ive powerwalked 2 marathons, but i feel happy doing the half marathon distance and feel next year is the time to take the plundge .

not bothered to with what time i do as long as its quicker than my powerwalking ones.

im doing the kilomathon in march so will be  good training for this

good luck all with training

15/09/2009 at 00:58
If you've done that many Halfs stepping up to the marathon should be no problem.  Good luck!
15/09/2009 at 14:48

I'm thinking of the kilomathon too.

2 months ahead of Edinburgh would make it a good training race over the longer distances I reckon.

I keep having lucid moments when I realize just how far 26 miles is! Glad its several months off still!

15/09/2009 at 16:14

I am in!! Anyone know good (and reasonable) places to stay? I am thinkiing go up Fri and travel back Mon. The official hotel looks pricey. Ideally somewhere near Waverley. Or is near Musselboro an option so can travel to start?

Views?

15/09/2009 at 21:23
start is in the city centre, finishes at musselboro. look on laterooms, depends what you want but as edinburgh is not cheap B&Bs are often good quality and cheaper than hotels.
16/09/2009 at 10:26

I've booked an apartment, self catering from the Saturday to the Monday night for £280 - sleeping 6 people.

About 15 minutes walk from the start.

16/09/2009 at 11:24

Well done Angela!  It sounds to me like you have done lots of preparation for this already.  Like Kicked It I cant actually envisage the distance..........am trying not to.  Enjoying plodding around on my "long runs" at the moment though.  Really taking it very steady and actually enjoying it so much more than I used to. 

Happy training all x

Must book some accomodation !

16/09/2009 at 11:44

im only a plodder too

ive booked into a b and b in edinburgh only £39 a night not that i'll get the brekkie on the sunday but nerves will probably take over and will not want to eat lol

ive got 3 more halfs this year and 3 10ks

nothing much else planned for next think i need to focus on training for this one, still feel sick at the thought of doing it lol. im comin up alone as when i did GNR my spectators never saw me til i finished so they have decided to stay at home and wait for the phone call, could be an interesting train journey home on the sunday evening  might need help getting off at the other end lol

Lucy, i find that i enjoy my running now, was a bit hard at the start but now i love going out in the mornings.

16/09/2009 at 14:04
you'd be surprised angela - i was in Edinburgh the weekend of the marathon this year for a completely different reason, and the place i stayed at was doing a special early brekkie for all the marathoners
16/09/2009 at 15:34
Hi all - i'm in, decided to forgo London this yr and go for Edinburgh, Got Dublin to do yet but it's always good to think ahead! Hopefully they'll have enough water next yr!!  woop woop!
16/09/2009 at 18:57

Angela, what do you eat when you do long runs in the morning?  I find that really hard.  If I eat too much I feel dreadful but if I only eat a banana or something I crash halfway around!  For that reason I am trying to do long runs later in the day, work and childcare permitting!.  Thing is though nearly all races are in the morning! 

Other news........have not had a biscuit for 3 weeks now!  As a biscuit addict that is a big thing for me!  Finally starting to feel the benefit of healthier eating.  Much more energy and looking a tiny bit more trim which is motivating! 

How goes the training everyone? x

21 to 40 of 8,199 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.