Edinburgh Marathon

7,621 to 7,640 of 8,199 messages
29/06/2012 at 11:49

Hi guys!

Don't know where the time is going...........quite scary!!

Well done Caz on Humber.  Sounds like a tough half reading the reports.  Major kudos for improving on last year.  From what I remember you had a real nightmare with injury (was it hip) and having to pass that man who had collapsed - very upsetting.

GE - sounds a brilliant half - well done!  Very tough.  Read on either the thread for the race or the Snowdon thread that someone said it was tougher than Snowdon - so looks like it was a good training session for you.  Think we (definitely me) are gonna have trouble keeping up with you in October.

Phil - shame about Edinburgh.  So Jill was gonna participate........well as you are now going to have another year to train I think it should be the full in 2014.

Have got some really good training routes figured out for Snowdon training Phil if you fancy.  Trying to include some that have a killer hill towards the end as well - to replicate Snowdon.  Have printed off my calendar today to start writing up my schedule - just dawned on me that I'd better get some structure to my training.  After 2 weeks holiday at the end of July it won't be long before the long, long runs need to start.

Joined a gym to strengthen my core and improve my swimming ready for next year and a Tri.  Not joking when I say it is going to be a long process.  Years of bad habits and not swimming with head in water has resulted in a lot of spluttering trying to get a good breathing rhythm.  Not pretty. Thanks for all the Tri advice Beavis.  I'm sure there will be more questions as we go along.

Watched the end of the Nadal match after the football finished.  What a shocker.  But how focused was Rosol (sp?).  A bomb could've gone off in the stands and he wouldn't have flinched.  Pressure on now for him to produce another good performance and for it not to be a one off.  Chawarae Teg.

Hope you have all survived this mad weather up North.  Looked really bad in places on the news this AM.  Seems that we have got off pretty lightly down South. 

Have a good weekend all. x

30/06/2012 at 08:50

Yeah, yeah, yeah Phil... Rush playing on the same day...last time in the UK yadda yadda....you hate us don't you???

Ooooh are we going to be comparing muscles next year Fi with you joining a gym as well now???  I'm starting to think if the instructor makes me lift any heavier weights I'm not going to be able to lift them off the racks lol.  Lots of planks then eh???  One leg in the air....then the other leg in the air....then both legs in the air...teehee.

Yep, Hull was the race where it all went horribly wrong last year Fi...was carrying a hip injury and loads of runners were down getting treatment including one getting zapped just as we went past.  That hill is nasty Dave...it must go on for at least a mile...there was the 9mile marker at the bottom and I admitted defeat when the Garmin said 9.75....it will not beat me next time....Grrrr!!  Aaargh!!!

Well done on the half GE, good training for Snowdon.

02/07/2012 at 17:53
Honest Caz, it's true Rush are playing LG Arena Sun 26 May, shiite timing is know and you all know that barring a death in the family is would be with you all at Edinburgh 2013, I am sad

Anyway have started my Snowdonia prep and have also committed to running the half at Weston Supermare in Sept, my son's girlfriend invited me to provide encouragement along the way as it's her first attempt at a longer distance, that said her 10k time is 38 minutes so I'm not entirely certain who will be supporting who???
02/07/2012 at 23:39

Fi, knowing you and Phil you'll be taking the Snowdonia prep seriously so I'm probably going to be the one hanging on to your coat tails. Fingers crossed we can stay free of injury and give it a good go.

Phil, good luck for Weston. Not a race I've heard a lot about.

Had intended to drive over to Llanberis after the Trail Wales Half to look at some of the course but I was just too knackered. Even driving straight back I had to stop at a pub  and walk round the car park as I was cramping up every time I pressed the accelerator.

Bham Black Country Half on Saturday. Running it with a couple of friends and looking forward to a couple of beers in Brum afterwards. I love Saturday races!

06/07/2012 at 05:32
Hi all, who thinks this could be Andy Murrays year???
06/07/2012 at 08:16

Got to have a chance. Definitely good enough. Just needs to get the mental side sorted. Come on Andy!!!!

06/07/2012 at 20:27

Couldn't you sleep this morning Phil or is the time stamp out???  It says you posted at 05:32....what does the O stand for?  Oh my god it's early...

It's been a bit quiet in here just lately...are we all out whipping up our arks??  I am sick of the rain now...surely there can't be any left up in the sky...

We've caused a bit of a ruckus within our group at the club...I blame Mr CS *whistles innocently* We paid our training subs upfront and for the last 4 weeks there hasn't been anybody from our group there for the pack run so to say we were getting a tad peeved about it is putting it mildly....Mr CS put in the usual weekly roll call email after it looked like we were going to be on our own again that we'd be going with the intermediate group and we were thinking of jacking it in anyways as we may as well just go out straight from the house... Oooooh...the responses were erm mixed to say the least.  Teeheehee.

06/07/2012 at 23:18
Hi Caz, yes bit quiet but summer (allegedly!!!), footie and tennis are all factors but this place is always on my agenda to check in to funny to hear you and Mr CS causing agro in the club, but your bloody right. As for me my shift pattern needs me to be out of bed at 0530 so based on that I was slacking this morning, the new job is pretty intense and fitting my runs in is a right challenge but nonetheless I get out there on average 5 days in 12 not ideal but it is what it is. Really looking forward to Weston then Snowdonia and of course the big one THE GOOFY
07/07/2012 at 08:50
Bring it on Phil!

Caz - you should tell the club to shove it. There must be other clubs up your way that aren't so aggressive. I had a very local race last week with a club that do a training run which starts about half a mile from my home. I mailed them to ask if I could join them occasionally and they couldn't have been more accommodating. Some clubs and club runners can be total areseholes!

As for Andy Murray - I get totally p1ssed off with folk slating him for not smiling and being dour - he's at work FFS. Even I can't be arsed to smile at work. Tennis players (IMHO) are by far the greatest athletes on the planet combining supreme fitness with power, finesse and unbelievable precision. He deserves all the credit in the world and I hope he wins it. The irony of course is that he will win sports personality as as result - LOL

Struggling with running at the moment. Made my own 18 week plan for Amsterdam and to say its challenging is an understatement. Continually falling asleep and putting weight on! Surely something has to give soon - possibly my mind!

Had a great weekend in Scotland last week with the best worst run ever. Had a friends wedding so I was all kilted up for the first time ever (I officially love a kilt btw) anyway, after a night on Guinness, Baileys, Rum, Mojitos and a dacquiri (sp) I had to run 8 miles to pick up the car. It was along a beautiful coast road but the first couple of miles were decidedly 'queasy'
07/07/2012 at 09:56

Dave I saw the pictures on FB...very handsome...were you a proper Scotsman??  Mr CS is the real macoy if we're going to a posh do in Scotland but I make him wear undies in England...mainly as the English (as lovely as we are) cannot resist lifting his kilt up to see what's underneath.

Tattoo day today.... wheeeeee... will attempt to upload a photo later.

I'm fairly certain now after the reaction we've had that we won't be renewing next year and we'll be finding another club....there are quite a few round by us...we only picked Bingley because they were the closest...might give Eccleshill Road Runners a try.

I agree with your on the tennis players Dave...they're out there on the court for hours & hours constantly on the move which takes some doing and then for people to complain that he's not Mr Happy....erm hands up who's a happy bunny/life & soul of the party after a hard workout.  Go Murray!!!

07/07/2012 at 12:27

Of course I was Caz but it aint half warm in kilt. I was tempted to go with my Saucony running shorts but in for a penny in for a pound and all that. I loved the kilt so much that I slept in it. Nothing else, just the kilt!

Isn't there a club up your way that hvae the most hideous running vests (brown purple and yellow I think) You should join them for the fashion statement.

Are you having the ships anchor tattoo Caz?

07/07/2012 at 19:33

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/426627/gallery/tattoo.jpg?width=436&height=217&mode=max

Ignore the redness around the edges...it is currently still very very sore but I'm really pleased with it.

Can't say that colour scheme is ringing any bells Dave but I will look out for them at the next local race we do.

10/07/2012 at 08:12

Looks great, Caz. It also looks bloomin painful.

Bham Black Country Half was just as enjoyable as ever on Saturday despite being seriously muddy. Very few pbs on this course but1:46:55 was my course pb by over 2 mins. So a lot happier than I was after my welsh trip.

Wandered down the club last night thinking I'd have a quiet jog round 4 or 5 miles. As very few people were there due to a local race ended up tagging onto the fast team and ended up doing 7.5 fast really hilly off-road miles. Limped into work this morning....

Agree with you Dave. Can't understand why people criticise Murray. If he was laughing and losing they'd be even more upset. He's one of the top 4 players in the world at a time when the men's game is probably the strongest its been. Still think he'll win a slam eventually. And if he wins one you wouldn't bet against him winning a few.

12/07/2012 at 20:29

Awfully quiet on here - This is the end, my only friend the end! Shame as I love this thread as well.

Quick running story from last night. Met Tanner at Regents Park for 10 miles at 6 min/mile pace. We take it in turns to take the lead so Tanner goes through mile one in about 5:52. Halfway through mile 2 he tells me to slow down as I'm at 5:35 pace (what a wuss) In mile 5 he asks if we can stop for a drink (even bigger wuss) Ended up doing 10 miles at just ober 5:50 pace - What a session!

DT2
12/07/2012 at 21:33
that's it, first he claims the thread is over, then he slates me! next time your getting punished Palmer! what David failed to mention was that I'd also done my fastest ever track session of 400s the day before, and I only told him to real in the pace for his own good!

on the way home from 10m easy and 2hrs of climbing so will report backbone when i'm on a computer, just couldn't let such blasphemy go unchecked!
13/07/2012 at 05:07
Path, thread over my bottom! I think a case of peoples busy lives is true though, certainly for me, anyway onto the subject of running, entered the Weston half after Adams girlfriend nagged me so that was a race not in my calendar, should be good though starts at the pier and basically does a big loop, twice, good run for Snowdonia though. Jill has been venturing out with me a few times, now have her up to a mighty 3 miles with 5 as the next target?

GE, great time and PB mate, hope the Snowdonia training is giving OK, the weather has been ideal for me loads rain which I personally prefer for longer runs, my schedule due work shifts is a bit chaotic but I will get there by hook or by crook.

Fi, hows your training going?

Dave. DT2 you two do make me laugh, you both train at below 6 mins per mile and slag each other off, hilarious, one day I will run a sub six outdoors and join that immortal club

Well signing off its up at 0530 and lots to do today, hope all are keeping well and runs are going nicely, have a great weekend
13/07/2012 at 08:27

Has anyone seen Darren's teddy bear  It was in his pram but it's not there anymore!

Seriously though it was a damn good session, although I followed it up with 10 miles the morning after and not 24 hours later like some!

14/07/2012 at 21:36

Phil, well done to Jill on the 3 miles. Knowing you, despite all the difficulties with scheduling your runs I'm sure you'll roll up to Snowdon in prime condition. Consequently I need to start getting serious. Conscious that my long towpath runs probably aren't going to do the job. I'm lucky that I can get out into the Staffordshire countryside within 10 mins of leaving home so I've picked some hilly runs quite a bit being off road. So got out and did 15 in the mud this afternoon, just under 10 min miling but it was bloomin hard. Still, it's got to be done....

Good to see our 2 speed merchants are getting on as well as ever....

16/07/2012 at 07:14
Caz, that's one special tattoo, has it calmed down now? Great news on Friday, Jill was notified she was successful in her job interview last Wednesday and starts work as a Test Centre Administrator on the 23rd July - she is rightly chuffed after a long job hunt since April. We are celebrating today with a 4 mile jog, I know how to treat a gal !
16/07/2012 at 08:27

Excellent news Phil - Pass on my congratulations!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.