Edinburgh Marathon

7,701 to 7,720 of 8,199 messages
15/09/2012 at 16:07
Caz I know its bloody frustrating but i plan to run 2 x 20 and 1 x 22 with the time left after the 28th September, not ideal but it is what it is. Really expect 4:45 will be a spectacular time but in all probability given with my shiiiite prep getting under 5 will be a fliiping bonus but i will finish come what may
Edited: 15/09/2012 at 16:09
16/09/2012 at 19:37
GE, good result today
16/09/2012 at 23:24

It was a win, Phil, and that's about it really. It's rebuilding time so need to be patient.

Take it nice and easy with the planned long runs. I'm sure you'll get round. Already looking forward to that first beer in the pub afterwards....

19/09/2012 at 13:43

....GE - you'll no doubt be on at least your 5th beer by the time I crawl in

Never mind - you'll have Shaun and Gill to keep you entertained.

Why oh Why does time go so blooming quickly? (except when you're waiting for another holiday) Snowden prep was going to be so organised with loads of steady long runs.  Reality is, once again, trying to cram in what I can, when I can without getting myself injured.  Phil and I have already discussed carrying each other around - all joking aside - it might come to just that.  Last Saturday was up to 17 miles.  Very hilly route so my legs were shot by the end of it.  Then I took Shaun out for the day on a mystery tour as it was his birthday.  Lots of walking - which with hindsight - actually probably helped as I didn't suffer any stiffness at all.  Recovery run last night.  Only 5 miles but pushed the pace.  Legs are tired though - had to work for every step.  This weekend I'm planning a 20.  Drop a bit the week after.  Another 20 the following (flat this time though).  Rest for the week then Cardiff half - which is two weeks before Snowden.  Work continues to be bonkers - so what will be will be.  We'll have fun whatever - won't we guys?

GE - excellent run at Lake Vyrnwy.  Can understand the annoyance at 20 secs - but a fantastic time just the same.

Caz - 18 miles. Woo! Hoo!  sounds like your training is well on course for Vegas.  Still think you both deserve a medal just for the travel element - never mind the small matter of running 26 miles whilst there.  Fair play to you both.

Dave hope you had a good holiday?

Take care all. x

21/09/2012 at 16:18
Afternoon all, half way through this bloody course, a small chance I can get a run in tomorrow! ! Hope everyone is keeping fit and Well. Caz, wish I had your legs, 18 miles is prob my endurance limit at the moment !!!
22/09/2012 at 17:21

Pah 18miles is so a fortnight ago...teehee...we ramped it up to 20miles last Saturday, making sure we finished at the ice cream van   And remarkably I actually felt like I could've carried on running...YAY!!!  No such luck today...I am so tired!!! Thank goodness it's a roll back week ready for Nottingham Half next Sunday...F*cking drunkard neighbours were out across the road being loud and obnoxious until half 4 this morning...We were up at 6:45 as we'd planned to do parkrun today and we've got a 10miler tomorrow so if she so much as farts and it disturbs my sleep tonight I'll be the neighbour from hell when I get up tomorrow

Fi, sods law that life gets in the way of carefully laid plans...erm can I just query the "Recovery run last night.  Only 5 miles but pushed the pace." I'm fairly certain the definition of a recovery run is not to push the pace a bit

Looking forward to Nottingham...can't make my mind up what to do as it's a new improved flat course...do I try for a PB or take it easy... I could always try for a non-EMF PB which currently stands at 2:13...Hmmmm decisions, decisions!!

Las Vegas should be a walk in the park...after all it's not like we're doing something stupid like running a half the day before or anything lol.  You'll love the Goofy Phil and if you don't then I'll happily look after the medals for you don't have the pain of looking at them every day....see how considerate I am???   Guess we'll find out if the Skins Travel/Recovery tights work.

Edited: 22/09/2012 at 17:22
mcs
25/09/2012 at 15:15

Managed a PB in a race of 1.42.50 at GNR so fairly happy but too far back in the pens for a good start so lost a bit of time at the start.....always next time.......would like to go 1.40 at some point if I can keep fit and improve a touch more.   Sounds like Cazsoul needs to move with those neighbours!!! We live next door to a pub but its an eating place so no noise, the grey brigade eat there mostly and next door to us is a holiday cottage so rarely a noise from folk there and stone walls help............. when is Nottingham must be close now?

25/09/2012 at 19:59

Well done on the PB on what looks like a non-PB friendly course mcs.  Nottingham is this weekend coming...looking forward to it...have arranged to meet up with Super Tanner for some liquid carb loading afterwards.

25/09/2012 at 22:35

Fi, hope the 20 went well. Those hills you're doing are really going to help. As you say, it will be a great weekend whatever.

Hope you got your run in, Phil.

Caz, great running. You've really got to go for the PB in Nottingham.

And mcs, well done on the PB. Not easy when there are another 40,000 runners in the way.

Running's a funny business at times. Bit disappointed with the time in Vyrnwy and no great expectations on the 'tougher' New Forest course. To the extent that I decided just to relax and not to take the weekend too seriously. Sat outside a pub in the sun on Saturday afternoon with a pint or three.

Weather was pretty wet Sunday morning but felt I was going ok without really pressing hard. Didn't even bother looking at the watch after 8 miles and assumed the fairly serious hill at 9.5 had put paid to a fast time. Crossed the line and was amazed to find the watch read 1:39:19 . Amazed but obviously very happy. Perhaps I've found my perfect pre-race prep!

Ran with the club last night but have given myself a night off tonight. 2 hard weeks to go before we can start to relax a bit.

mcs
26/09/2012 at 16:33

Well done GE great running, nice to relax and yet do really well on the roads especially when its really wet.

26/09/2012 at 20:06

Blimey GE...that's stonking...well done hunny   Hmmmm a pint or 3 as pre-race prep...wonder if it could work for me on Sunday??

26/09/2012 at 23:13

Caz, I think it's definitely the way forward. Hydration is really important. Imagine how quick I'd have been after 6 pints.....

mcs
27/09/2012 at 16:17

must try harder!!

28/09/2012 at 15:48

Hello peeps, how are we all.

Been a bit of a stranger on here of late but lots of exuses.

My main excues is my poor preparation for Amsterdam. Since Noah arrived and particularly since Jo went back to work it's been hard to get the volume of training in and what i have done has been snatched and not enough quality. I used to have around 4 or 5 morning gym sessions/week starting at 7am. Now I have to get up at 5.45am and go for a run so Jo can go to work at 7. Result is that I can't get up and do less than half of the sessions. The rest of my training has been done as and when I can fit it in. The good news is that I haven't had any injuries in the build up.

Not expecting much in Amsterdam to be honest although I haven't raced for 2 months so no idea if I'm looking good or not - I suspect not

First race this weekend at the Macclesfield Half - Feel sick just thinking about it!

29/09/2012 at 22:57

Hi Guys.

Good luck tomorrow Caz and Mr CS.  Hope it goes well and the weather is kind to you.  Say hello to Super Tanner.  Keep us posted how you all get on.

Sorry to hear training not going exactly to plan Dave.  Life is just pants getting in the way hey?  I'm sure you'll be fine at your half this weekend.  And Amsterdam.  Hope Jo and Noah doing well?

GE - I kinda like your new training regime.  Awesome performance - well done.  Running is such a weird sport don't you find?  Sometimes you do everything right and then you just don't deliver on race day.  Other times you think this is gonna be pants and you end up having the race of your life.  Is it possibly when the expectation is low so you totally relax and enjoy..............who knows?

Phil - hope things are going well and you are managing to get some training miles in?

I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment.  I almost don;t want to say too much just incase I jinx myself.  Weather was so bad last Sunday for planned 20 miler I delayed until Monday afternoon (perks of sleeping with the boss).  Got to say it was tough.  So many mental games were played out in my head just to keep me going.  Was a hilly course but my God - by the end I was in bits.  Never felt pain like it in my legs so got straight in a cold bath which gave immediate relief.  Then ice packs and lots of stretching.  Next day - surprisingly - totally fine.  Went for a trial 3 miles Thursday AM to check everything OK and then went for 15 mile run last night with Julie.  Expecting to feel tired but I bounced around.  So in 5 days I've done 38 miles and I feel fine. (bear in mind that would be high for me on a 7 day week!)  Shaun is still hit and miss training for Cardiff half and plans for a 7/8 tomorrow - which I think I might join him.  All I need is for this feeling to remain for the month of October now...............like that's gonna happen.

Talking of Cardiff - got a bit of a dilemma.  If Shaun does make the start line - should I (a) run with him to pace him - especially as this is probably the only time he will ever do a race so the only chance I will have of running with him.  Or do I (b) leave him to his own devises and go for another PB?

He thinks if I'm running well I should go for the PB - but I'm torn. Hmmmm..............

For anyone racing or training tomorrow have a good one. x

29/09/2012 at 23:19

Sacked off the Macclefield race. Bug has returned with a vengeance and felt awful again today. Made it to parkrun and had just about my worst ever run over 5k  got home and felt as weak as a kitten. Sooooo lethargic and several toilet visits!

Amsterdam is going to take some getting around I think so I'm already planning for London and Edinburgh next year.

30/09/2012 at 07:44
Jo was 38 yesterday which meant a night out with the girls and me on Noah duty. It's no big deal a that's how I roll these days.

Anyway, woke up this morning with sore throat, wheezing like a pensioner, nose streaming and a delicate stomach to say the least. Feels like my training is in pieces at the moment with a week to the start of taper time. Think it might just be a 7 day taper and hope I can recover quickly.

Good luck to thems that's doing Nottingham today. Hope the weather is kind - looks windy here - inside and out
02/10/2012 at 07:58

Well done Fi on all those miles. I know you and Phil haven't had ideal preps for this adventure but I'm know you'll both get round and add another marathon to the list. Hope the Cardiff half went well for you and Shaun.

Belated birthday greetings to Jo. Tough luck on the illness front Dave. Hope things clear up quickly.

Got another 16 in on Saturday and then did a local hilly 10k on Sunday which is always hard but really good. Managed to knock 2 minutes off last year's time which either means I'm in pretty decent shape at the moment or I was pretty rubbish last year. Bit of both probably  .

mcs
02/10/2012 at 14:54

well done GE

04/10/2012 at 12:06
Caz well done on the 20! sounds like you are in top form And judging by your time at Nottingham a massive well done and don't fret about the goofy medals they will be mine muhahaha

Mcs, well done on the pb, I have no doubt you will crack 1:40

GE, many congratulations on the pb, simply outstanding

Dave, hope you are beginning to master that home work life balance trick, it ain't easy! Hope macclesfield went well.

Fi, well done on the 20, you are obviously looking ok for Snowdonia and as for Shaun, let him decide is my advice.

Well got 18 done last Sunday, bloody agony tbh, but I managed 5 in 40 minutes dead on the following tuesday so feel good about that, and my legs feel good, which is lucky for me as tomorrow is a 20 (yikes)

Anyway, hope everyone is fit and well and enjoying their running.

Chow for now
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.